Bored with Butties phase 19

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Bored with Butties phase 19

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Conger eel, a favourite in León, Aragon and the Rioja – this could be a tough one :lol:

This is amazing, ditch all those preconceived ideas about what this may taste like and give it a go – it’s absolutely brilliant – even Muzette likes it so it can’t be all bad :twisted: The meat is a firm monkfish-like texture and delicious :wink:

Whenever I’ve tried this previously, assuming we’re not talking elvers, I’ve never found a pan big enough to do a whole one, so best plan is to cut it up with an axe into manageable pieces. :idea: In fact, some would argue that if you’re out fishing off North Wales and happen to hook a conger, safest plan is to cut it up with an axe before trying to unhook it. :lol: Don’t cut through the bottom of the boat though #-o

First, get about 1kg of eel steaks. Don’t get the small round steaks from near the tail, they’re full of bones, get the big ones from the front that once had guts under them :wink:....

....and boil them for a few minutes in water with some salt & wine vinegar.

Save the stock for later. When they’re cool enough to handle, skin them and remove the spine. If you’re changing your oil filter at the same time, wash your hands :lol:

You should have something like this. :D

Cube some bread and roughly chop some garlic....

....then fry these in olive oil until crisp....

....and set aside.

Flour the pieces of eel and add to the pan....

....add some paprika, cayenne, wine vinegar and some of the stock from earlier....

Serve with rice, the cretins & garlic from earlier and some hard-boiled eggs & a sprinkling of chopped parsley.

Hmmm, My hovercraft is full of eels :lol:
hatris
Tribal Elder

Re: Bored with Butties phase 19

Post by hatris » Fri May 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Can we have something with vegetables next week? What about green beans? :lol:
Actually liked the look of this, were did you buy conger eel and can I substitute with monkfish as I really like that?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Fresh green beans, tinned green beans or Heinz baked beans that have been out of the tin for some time? :twisted:

Conger from the fish market within Manchester Arndale - a good source for a lot of the weird things I like to cook :wink:

The same done with monkfish would be really nice =P~
Dizzy-Dots
Tribal Elder

Post by Dizzy-Dots » Fri May 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I could eat this weeks offering - it looks nice =D>
Lisa

1995 'N' Plate - 2WD AFT in Black - called 'Jonnie'!

friendeedebs
Supreme Being

Post by friendeedebs » Fri May 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Muz you are completely insane and make me feel sick every Friday but I'm always guaranteed to be found laughing out loud :lol: every Friday, especially this Friday :wink:
Unfortunately I was in tesco stalking Chris Moyles when I came across this and now I've been arrested and won't make the big weekend :-({|= , but they're letting me out for the Anglesey bash on the condition I steer clear of maniacs who eat strange food and accident prone people with power tools :roll: :lol:
Ha ha can't wait to see you guys :wink: and btw the recipe would have been more appealing if you'd replaced eel with sausages :lol: :wink:
Iechyd da
Debs :)
P.S You could have made a face out of this one too ;) :-"

Muzorewa wrote:Conger eel, a favourite in León, Aragon and the Rioja – this could be a tough one :lol:

This is amazing, ditch all those preconceived ideas about what this may taste like and give it a go – it’s absolutely brilliant – even Muzette likes it so it can’t be all bad :twisted: The meat is a firm monkfish-like texture and delicious :wink:

Whenever I’ve tried this previously, assuming we’re not talking elvers, I’ve never found a pan big enough to do a whole one, so best plan is to cut it up with an axe into manageable pieces. :idea: In fact, some would argue that if you’re out fishing off North Wales and happen to hook a conger, safest plan is to cut it up with an axe before trying to unhook it. :lol: Don’t cut through the bottom of the boat though #-o

First, get about 1kg of eel steaks. Don’t get the small round steaks from near the tail, they’re full of bones, get the big ones from the front that once had guts under them :wink:....

....and boil them for a few minutes in water with some salt & wine vinegar.

Save the stock for later. When they’re cool enough to handle, skin them and remove the spine. If you’re changing your oil filter at the same time, wash your hands :lol:

You should have something like this. :D

Cube some bread and roughly chop some garlic....

....then fry these in olive oil until crisp....

....and set aside.

Flour the pieces of eel and add to the pan....

....add some paprika, cayenne, wine vinegar and some of the stock from earlier....

Serve with rice, the cretins & garlic from earlier and some hard-boiled eggs & a sprinkling of chopped parsley.

Hmmm, My hovercraft is full of eels :lol:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 21, 2010 3:37 pm

debbiepritch wrote: P.S You could have made a face out of this one too ;) :-"
Ok, one of the next instalments will have to be some form of face sculpture. Unless we can do something along those lines at Anglesey......

....Smash, quail's eggs, spinach and some craftily-placed peas should do it :lol: :wink:
friendeedebs
Supreme Being

Post by friendeedebs » Fri May 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Muzorewa wrote:
debbiepritch wrote: P.S You could have made a face out of this one too ;) :-"
Ok, one of the next instalments will have to be some form of face sculpture. Unless we can do something along those lines at Anglesey......

....Smash, quail's eggs, spinach and some craftily-placed peas should do it :lol: :wink:
Omg I read that quick and thought it said snails eggs #-o mind you I wouldn't put anything past you lol :shock:

Yep c'mon what you cooking up @ Anglesey ??? bearing in mind all my animals will be locked safely away ;) and there isn't in fact a takeaway with a long name...only a cafe :lol:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Muzette is going to be devastated when she learns that there is no Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch fish bar and no Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch kebab-house. Nearly as devastated as when she eventually realises that there is no Father Christmas, no tooth fairy and that haggis are fabricated from sheep's dangly bits :lol:
friendeedebs
Supreme Being

Post by friendeedebs » Fri May 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Muzette is going to be devastated when she learns that there is no Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch fish bar and no Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch kebab-house. Nearly as devastated as when she eventually realises that there is no Father Christmas, no tooth fairy and that haggis are fabricated from sheep's dangly bits :lol:
Won't the cafe with the translation do ????
And hey who says there's no father christmas?????????????
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 pm

debbiepritch wrote: Won't the cafe with the translation do ????
You've lost me now. Not difficult, I know, but you've definitely lost me :?
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Fri May 21, 2010 4:11 pm

I might just risk that one Muz........I cant help but look at that Eel and think of the Conger that grabbed a diver by the face in the film The Deep,I still jump when I see it!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dabs :D
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
friendeedebs
Supreme Being

Post by friendeedebs » Fri May 21, 2010 10:26 pm

we'll go there ;) it's near the lions :) x
Muzorewa wrote:
debbiepritch wrote: Won't the cafe with the translation do ????
You've lost me now. Not difficult, I know, but you've definitely lost me :?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun May 23, 2010 8:30 am

debbiepritch wrote: we'll go there ;) it's near the lions :) x
Surely not the "Church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave cafe" in downtown Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? :?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun May 23, 2010 10:16 am

Hi
Unfortunately, i am allergic to fish....I even tried a small nibble-ette of a fish finger the other day, and was nearly ill....shame, coz there's lots of nice fishy things.
Have you tried snake?...we were discussing the various edible things last night at our friends, and everyone was horrified at snake, but I've heard it's quite nice!....They eat snails here...really big blighters!...France buys a high proportion of its snails and frogs from here...they are really big and juicy....they also eat horse and donkey here...apparently donkey sausages are nice?
What about guinea pig?...A Jamaican woman who i studied with thought we were strange keeping them as pets...apparently they eat them.
Oh, and the Vietnamese eat dogs...can't say I think much of that, but they like rat as well.....so be careful what you order!
So, thinking along the unusual food line, squirrel was popular a while back, so why not create a signature dish.....hamster thermidor?....I'll give it a lash if you cook it!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun May 23, 2010 10:27 am

I'd definitely try things like snake, guinea pig etc - guinea pig is a favourite in south America. Horse is nice, not tried donkey but can't be much different =P~

The local Chinese wholesaler does jellyfish, not over-enthusiastic as to the possible taste & texture of that :-&

Squirrel should be good, if I find a suitable outlet I'll definitely get some of that :D

Snails are good, we have loads in the garden and are contemplating harvesting them for food, just plonk them in some herbs to eat for their last supper, so to speak :lol:

Bon appetit

Return to “Off Message”