Buying/running a V6 Bongo? ***DON'T DELETE***

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongo Virgin

Buying/running a V6 Bongo? ***DON'T DELETE***

Post by Bongo Virgin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Have been pondering the Bongo for some time. About to take the plunge and am going to take a close-up view at a V reg' V6 Bongo tomorrow.

Are there any specifics to look for when buying one of these models?

It is sub 50,000 miles and all looks pretty good though the coolant tank was showing a little low when I briefly viewed it afew days ago.

The price is £10,000 before conversion which I thought looked good. It comes with a 6 month warranty too.

Any thoughts from any of you helpful, experienced people? I want a reliable motor you see!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:10 pm

I've driven a V6 (W reg) and it was a very quiet, powerful machine. But it was also very, very thirsty, especially around town, about 18 mpg.

You should also bear in mind that if you want to run around in a V6, you MUST get it converted, unless it is over 10 years old as there is no Model Report for this particular grey import.

But if money is no object, go for it!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bongo Virgin

Post by Bongo Virgin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Thanks for that. The fuel consumption you mention is of interest as the basic details I had found suggested that the V6 is only marginally less economical than the Diesel....very different to what you have experienced. I figured with the longer service intervals on the petrol that things would work out broadly similar.

My wife and I want a very reliable machine that is reasonably economical to run so that we can tour the UK and Europe.

Perhaps I will need to reconsider, V6 versus TDi versus 2.0i!
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Definitely not 2.0l - I'm sure I've read that that is supposed to be the least economical and a slug!!!!
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Don't forget that in many other European countries diesel can be typically 20% cheaper than petrol, if you are having a holiday abroad.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/index.html
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Even better in New Zealand, a third of the cost than in rip-off UK.
bj4

Post by bj4 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:48 pm

I own a V6 AFT Bongo, it is not that uneconomical to run. In fact it uses less fuel than the 2.0l petrol Bongo model I owned before.

The figures I have seen quoted for mpg only differ slightly from the V6 to the diesel models and from my experience I would tend to agree, although I haven`t actually worked it out myself.

They are certainly quieter and more powerful though, a pleasure to drive. There may be more making there way to UK shores soon as many are now 10 years old so avoiding the SVA test.
Gungadon

Buying/running a V6 Bongo

Post by Gungadon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Have been running a V6 almost daily for the last six months. Fuel consumption has been a consistent 24 mpg on standard unleaded petrol.
Most importantly, check and double check that the V6 you are buying is a 2.5 litre and NOT a 2 litre - the latter extremely thirsty and, it is said, underpowered. The V6 is very smooth and quiet to drive - you can actually have a conversation with your passengers without having to yell your head off ! Big advantage of the V6 is the power output - approx 160 bhp - which is over 30 bhp more than the straight 4 cyl diesel. Have owned and run both types of Bongo, I have a very strong preference for the V6 - the only disadvantage is the exceptionally high cost of a new cambelt, but as you'll probably not need one more than once it is a minor disadvantage. It is worth trying to get the seller to renew the cambelt as part of the deal.
Best of luck - hope this helps.
Gungadon :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:21 pm

V interesting Gungadon. Can you not coax better mpg out of it on a run as opposed to urban running? Sounds a v nice motor though 8)
Bongo Virgin

Post by Bongo Virgin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:32 am

Thanks for the V6 comments. Test drove it yesterday and it was superb. Smooth, quiet, refined etc etc. Finally took the plunge and have it secured under deposit for the work to be done. New Cam-belt is being fitted even though it has only done 45,000 miles, but better safe than sorry I thought.

Bongoing here we come!
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:49 am

Well Done BV
Hope it turns out to be a cracker for Ya!
Good Luck
Dabs
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:10 am

It'll be a great great motor BV and you are eyes open on fuel consumption. The way I look at it, if it is that great a vehicle (which it will be), then it is more than just a fuel bill - it is your hobby. I mean, how much do people pay in golf club membership fees :shock:

Tell as about about it once you start driving it and make all us old diesel lump owners jealous.

Mike 8)
Bongo Virgin

Post by Bongo Virgin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks for the support. I will keep you informed of our exploits.

Can't wait to get out on the road in a few weeks time.
Glynanderson

Post by Glynanderson » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:21 pm

I thought the V6 had a timing chain, rather than a timing belt.
Also, have you considered an LPG conversion, at 50p per litre it really doesn't take long to pay for itself, apparently the modern conversions are very good and reliable.
Just my penny worth!
Bongo Virgin

Post by Bongo Virgin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:21 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a Cam Belt rather than chain as I had a good look at the engine. It is supposed to be changed after 100,000km's but I thoughtit was better to get it sorted up front.

I would consider an LPG conversion in the future but it would depend on the range offered by the gas tank and the accessibility of the fuel. For now it will remain a Petrol beastie I think.

Return to “Techie Stuff”