Throttle sensor compensation resistor and NE sensor

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

corblimey
Supreme Being

Throttle sensor compensation resistor and NE sensor

Post by corblimey » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:35 pm

I've been poking around under the lid of my van this afternoon and come away with more questions than answers.

1) My manual refers to an NE sensor. What does NE stand for and what does it do?

2) As I press the throttle and measure the throttle position sensor at 2.15v and small ticking sound starts like a small pump or something. As I press the throttle further the noise continues until about 3.15v when it stops. What could it be?

3) What is the throttle sensor compensation resistor for?

4) I measured said resistor and got a reading of about 840 ohms. The manual says it should be 0.1 ~ 2.5 ohms. Obviously that's a significant differernce but could it be a typo (missing k perhaps)? Would a couple of kind souls be prepared to measure theirs so we can see work out if the book is right or whether I've got a lemon.

To measure the resistance open the drivers seat and locate the snesor block in the following pic

Take it apart and measure between pins "D" and "F". In the following picture that's the two central pins in the the bottom row of the socket.

Thanks in advance
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:16 pm

Are you on about the "466 TA2" thingy? If so mine is a "469 AL2" thingy
and I have no connections on "D" and "F", but between "A" and "C" I get 1.3K ohm. "A" and "C" being the two blue wires comming from the "469" Thingy, shown below.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:31 pm

Cheers for that Brora.

Unfortunately that's not the thing I'm on about but thanks for making the effort anyway. Your 469 and my 466 are the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

If you look in my first pic there is an orange wire and a blue wire coming out of the cconnector block. These are connected to a resistor that is clipped on to the lump a little further back from the TPS and lower down. Got no idea what it's for though.
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:59 pm

Mines different :? No blue and orange :cry: and no bright RED in my picture either :shock:
So I'm going to be as much use to you as............................(you can use your own imagination for a useless item) :lol:

Is it an Automatic thing? as mine is manual.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:40 pm

hmmm, yes mine's an automatic. fairly important fact I nelected to mention!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:57 pm

1090 ohms on mine corblimey
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:46 am

Cheers Dandy. Thanks for making the effort, appreciated. :D

So, it's looking like there's a printing error in the manual. Would someone else be kind enough to measure theirs so we can confirm it.

Can anyone shed any light on my other queries?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:08 pm

corblimey wrote:Can anyone shed any light on my other queries?
I don't know about light, I don't understand the questions - too technical for me :? :? :? :oops:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Where are you taking the voltage readings from cor - I'll check mine if you want.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
alphabetter
Bongolier

Re: Throttle sensor compensation resistor and NE sensor

Post by alphabetter » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:54 pm

corblimey wrote:I've been poking around under the lid of my van this afternoon and come away with more questions than answers.

1) My manual refers to an NE sensor. What does NE stand for and what does it do?
Don't know what NE stands for. What it does is to measure the RPM of the engine. A few people here have had problems with faulty rev counters caused by a defective NE sensor.

I suspect its a coil that gives a little pulse each time some marker on the crank shaft goes past.
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:57 pm

Thanks Alphabetter that's solved one little mystery then. Not too bothered knowing what NE means now I know what it does.

Dandy; I'm measuing the TPS voltage at the ECU end of the loom as I mentioned in this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... hp?t=14174

My TPS voltage is fine appart from when the TPS is playing silly beggers. I needed to verify the throttle compensation resistor value (which is something else but I don't know what) which you've already done for me.

I'm confused since the workshop manual says one value yet you and I are reading another.

Out of interest you could hook your multimeter up to the TPS and press the throttle until you get a reading of about 2.5v and see if you get the ticking noise.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:57 pm

Ill try it tomorrow cor.........I couldn't find the other post, thanks for that.

By the way, how the hell did you get up to 13,664 posts :shock:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:58 am

By the way, how the hell did you get up to 13,664 posts
Simply by repeating the following mantra everytime some one posts about leisure batteries:

don't do it like that (dumb relay), do it like this (VSR)

Seriously though.... remember those missing tech posts a few months back? Well, I had to dig around in the bowels of the forum software to restore about 13,500 of them from a backup and mysteriously :wink: :wink: the forum counted them as my posts!
corblimey
Supreme Being

Post by corblimey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:32 pm

I get the feeling I've managed to confuse people with regard to what to measure :oops:

So, just to clarify...

I'm after the reading for the throttle position compensation resistor. It's not the same thing as the throttle position sensor (TPS).

In my photos in the original post you can see the TPS, it has 466 TA.2 printed on it. This is not the thing I'm interested in. The photo was supposed to be of the connector block but the TPS found its way into the piccy. The fact that it appeared in the photo may have led to the confusion.

The throttle position compensation resistor is a fixed resistor and judging by brorabongo's reply it is a part specific to auto vans.

Ok; clear as mud?
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:29 pm

Errrrrm...........but do you still want the voltages checked too. :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar

Return to “Techie Stuff”