Selling/buying a Bongo and AA inspections.***DON'T DELETE***

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

maddy06

Selling/buying a Bongo and AA inspections.***DON'T DELETE***

Post by maddy06 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:20 pm

I put my little beauty up for sale a couple of weeks back,due to an increase in family size.In that time i have had the misfortune of dealing with so many timewasters,it's untrue.Couldn't even begin to tell you how many missed viewings there have been(oh well their loss).Which takes me to AA inspections.I have always recommended them for somebody spending that kind of money.Now i was not present at the inspection requested by a potential buyer,but my wife watched most of it.The inspector was suited and booted,which somewhat surprised me(for a full vehicle inspection).The vehicle was only taken for a 6 mile drive.His verbal report to the potential buyer stated there was a lack of coolant which he"suspected" meant leak.If i had paid that money,i would not have wanted suspicion or supposition.My wife advised he added no coolant or ran the vehicle to source the leak.It turned out to be a leak on the rear air con matrix(cost to repair £6-80).The report also states the drive belt and water pump were inaccessible(not very thorough).It also pointed out seatbelts could not be checked as all buckles were missing(yes those that push through the rear seats,so they don't stick up your a**e when sleepin downstairs.All in all,if i had paid that kind of money out,i would want something more definitive and less of the guesswork/naivety.Oh well,maybe a lesson learnt.Anyway got to go,GOT somebody else NOT gonna turn up to have a peek!!!!!
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:42 pm

you can allways get your own report and be with the tester to demonstrate whatever they need.
You can then present this to any potential buyer,,, if they turn up.
quinnw
Bongonaut

Post by quinnw » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:18 pm

With an import, they don't fit the mold of inspection. The advice would be subscribe to Bongo Fury (for the money they will save that in a year), find a Bongo garage and take it there for inspection.

As I have just learnt Bongos, like most vehicles, have there "usual" problems - if you know the beast you know what you are looking for...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:20 pm

It occurs to me sometimes that BF could start its own scheme using people who know about Bongos. I know, its not that simple but.... :roll:
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:57 pm

I have a conspiracy theory on vehicle inspections having had a couple carried out over the years on vehicles I am selling and those sold by friends in the motor trade.
The tester is not allowed to dismantle anything to investigate further, so if he hears a rattle then his comment may be ' slight rattle possibly from engine which may require further investigation'. 'Coolant level low suspect leak - investigation required'. They then go on to detail the condition of the bodywork and interior with all scratches etc itemised.
The result is usually a rather damning report but usually only concentrating on superficial items and guesswork.
The result is that the buyer usually does not buy thus saving the AA or whoever from any possible legal action for recommending a duff car.
The buyer may have one or two then decide that they cant afford another inspection and take a chance on their own judgement - probably what they should have done in the first place.
I know this is difficult if trying to buy a car at distance, but where possible you are better trying to get a local garage to carry out an inspection - even if they just give you a verbal report.

Return to “Techie Stuff”