Rod to remove spare tire

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Joz

Rod to remove spare tire

Post by Joz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Hello all. Just got my first Bongo a few weeks ago. Loving it so far. Just put new tires on and getting ready for a trip to Wales and Ireland. Mine was a fresh import from Japan so she didn't come with a jack or any spare tire accessories. I've bought a jack from Halfords and can get a spanner from the garage but I can't get the spare tire down.

Can someone describe, measure and/or post a photo of the rod that does the business. The breakers on ebay don't seem to want my money. If anyone has a good source for parts like this near North Yorkshire please let me know.
Thanks!
-Joz-
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: Rod to remove spare tire

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Firstly have you checked its not in the space where the jack goes,(behind the sliding door on the step) it is usually clipped on the roof of the step, you cannot see it unless you duck down below. have a feel :oops: you might be lucky and its there.
And secondly if its not there ,try Wheelquick from Wigan ,they might just have what your looking for.
Lost without my Bongo.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Joz wrote:Mine was a fresh import from Japan so she didn't come with a jack or any spare tire accessories.
In that case it should have had all the bits, but as DBO says check in the compartment at the back of the step inside the sliding door it should all be there. Some owners have owned a Bongo for years before they find the tools.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:47 pm

As I photographed my spare tyre removal bits and removed the spare tyre to see how easy it was, and photographed that, I wondered why :roll: Thanks for giving me a reason;

This is where it should be

you can see a clip above where those studs are on the jack - that's where the long rod lives and it is longer than that cubby hole. Reckon it's about 2 foot long. Haven't got a tape measure or ruler in the house - it's all with the DIY stuff in the boot of hubby's car and he's at work :cry:

and this is what else lives in there

The long pole and the handle thing with the hole in are what you use to take the tyre off

and you may get a rough idea of how long it is (not sure why it needs to be that long) here although it goes in quite a long way too (the end that goes into the winder thing for the tyre has got two sticky out bits on (you can just make them out in the 2nd photo))

Sorry I can't measure it for you today - hopefully someone will be along in a minute who's of more use!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 pm

And when you do get the spare tyre down and its a skinny one shown in the photo ,DUMP IT. and get a full size tyre, the skinny one is dangerous and probably more than 13 years old.
Lost without my Bongo.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Agreed - good advice there. Apart from being dusty and sandy, ours actually looks in reasonable nick and we would only use it to limp to a garage which is all it is meant for anyway. One of the reasons I took it off was for a good look because I was convinced it was going to be perished and vile (because I don't reckon the MOT man took it off for a look because that toolkit didn't look like it had ever been touched).

We're lucky enough to have acquired a proper wheel but am waiting for the sand blasting machine at someone-very-close-to-me-who-shall-not-be-named's work to be sorted out (and he is waiting for an opportunity to use it without getting the sack!!!)
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
jumper
Bongolier

Post by jumper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:06 pm

daveblueozzie wrote:And when you do get the spare tyre down and its a skinny one shown in the photo ,DUMP IT. and get a full size tyre, the skinny one is dangerous and probably more than 13 years old.
Full size means  a wheel and tyre the same size, diameter and width as the 4 currently on your van :)
ps. welcome to bongo mania

Ian
Happiness isn't having what you want its wanting what you have.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:12 pm

Alison01326 wrote: Apart from being dusty and sandy, ours actually looks in reasonable nick and we would only use it to limp to a garage which is all it is meant for anyway.
Others have thought just that and had them explode as the weight goes on them.

The "shelf life" of a proper full size tyre is only reckoned to be a little more than 6 years for safety reasons, so I wouldn't even consider trying to use a space saver around twice that age for anything.
jumper
Bongolier

Post by jumper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:15 pm

i wonder if anyone has ever put a new tyre on the spacesaver wheel ?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:17 pm

jumper wrote:i wonder if anyone has ever put a new tyre on the spacesaver wheel ?
WHY? :?
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Maybe not on the Bongo but if I'd been aware of a "use by date" I'd have had to on a previous car as only the spacesaver size would fit in the hole provided for the spare so no good replacing it with a full size wheel.
Alison

jumper
Bongolier

Post by jumper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 pm

WHY? :?
well some people do the strangest things. But i would rather use a space saver with a new tyre than the original rubbish under the majority of vans, i have a full size by the way
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:25 pm

It's generally cheaper to get a full sized spare wheel and tyre as the space saver tyre is very expensive (and usually not in stock). If you did get one it's designed to take you (I think) around 50 miles at 50mph, so your moneys better spent on the full size tyre and wheel. And luckily the bongo full size wheel (and tyre) fit in the same space as the spacesaver.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:57 pm

jumper wrote: well some people do the strangest things.
I had come to that conclusion for the reason Doone so eloquently explained.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:01 am

the two Mikes at Wheelquick sell the used tyres (on a 15 inch steel rim) for around £15 to £20 depending on wear.
Lost without my Bongo.

Return to “Techie Stuff”