Why fit a Coolant Alarm?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dandemann8
Supreme Being

Why fit a Coolant Alarm?

Post by dandemann8 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi, why do so many Bongo owners fit a coolant alarm :?: It may give you an early warning that a problem as occurred but surly there is preventitive action prior to fitting a Coolant Alarm that we can take :?: I've heard it may prevent HGF and a costly bill down the line but what are the exact weakness's of the Bongo engine that we can maintain to keep our babies on the road i.e replace hoses at regular intervals say 2 to 3 years, check your oil and water levels and frequent servicing etc....

I'm not against the fitment of a Coolant Alarm I'm just looking to explore new avenue's we can take. :)

Any input on this could be of great assistance to one and all. :)

Thank you.

Duncan.
Bongo no more........... ;-(
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Re: Why fit a Coolant Alarm?

Post by mister munkey » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Interesting point.

I guess to start with you coulld replace the radiator, intercooler, rear heater matrix, all 16 hoses plus the metal pipes that form part of the plumbing, water pump, header tank & possibly a dozen other parts that form part of the sealed system. (I would imagine that would cost a fair bit) Then you could relax knowing that a leak is unlikely to boil your pride & joy.

Personally, I'd stick a CA in too just for extra peace of mind.

8)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:49 pm

I agree and then again I don't.

I did all the things that I should do (or I got others to do it for me) and Dydo was fighting fit and at no risk, however, the alarm sounded for the first time since I had had it (about 18 months), and one new radiator and a new filler cap later, she is good as new. No probs since but what if I hadn't had that alarm? The extra damage that would have been done?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:06 pm

dandemann8 wrote:Hi, why do so many Bongo owners fit a coolant alarm :?: It may give you an early warning that a problem as occurred but surly there is preventitive action prior to fitting a Coolant Alarm that we can take :?: I've heard it may prevent HGF and a costly bill down the line but what are the exact weakness's of the Bongo engine that we can maintain to keep our babies on the road i.e replace hoses at regular intervals say 2 to 3 years, check your oil and water levels and frequent servicing etc....

I'm not against the fitment of a Coolant Alarm I'm just looking to explore new avenue's we can take. :)

Thank you.

Duncan.
Okay, you've got a mid engined vehicle anything up to 15 years old, with a radiator, 2 heater matrixes, 17 hoses, numerous metal pipes & connections & a cast iron block with an ally head. Several weak points there already, water pump & thermostats fail, mixing of incompatible jap/uk spec coolants http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=28754 (possibly leading to sludging, jelly like "snakes" & chemical corrosion weakening the head) fan sensors, fans, etc.
Add into that the fact that under low loads, short runs etc, the rad isn't under full flow (leading to sediment settling & blockage) & the stat will rarely have to open as the cooling will be achieved by the heater matrixes & "bypass" pipework (see this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=35902 ) so has a good chance of siezing/failing shut.
As discussed several times on here before & often the source of very "heated" debates :wink: , it is a very good idea to replace what you know may be a weak point, ie stat, hoses, corroded pipework, rad, waterpump & thoroughly flush it all through with a chemical flush to ensure there is no mixing of incompatible coolants, BUT most people just can't afford to do all that - I know I can't.
I've replaced all the hoses with silicon, replaced the stat & flushed it a couple of times, but I have fitted a Mason alarm to warn me if the temp is rising & a coolant high & low level alarm to warn me of coolant loss.
Interstingly, the coolant alarm has warned quite a few people of dropping coolant levels AFTER such replacements due to very slight weeps on joints etc.
It's a risk analysis - spend up to £1000 replacing EVERYTHING possible on the coolant system & hope none of those replacements leak or fail, or do what you can afford & fit alarms to warn you of any potential issues (hopefully) before expensive damage is done, the choice is yours.
The main issue is the fact that the engine WILL NOT withstand overheating well like other engines will, due to its construction (cast block & ally head), so it makes sense to protect it.
One of my hoses went the day after I'd checked them, so unles you plan on lifting the seats every time you turn the key, it's a no brainer to me, the coolant alarm constantly checks the coolant level & self tests every time the ignition is turned on.
I would most definitely recommend changing the stat & a proper flush as a minimum (backflush & flow test the rad) & hoses as you can afford or as necessary & replace the rad if at all suspect.
Give it a "proper" run every so often, & when you pull over, leave the engine running until you feel the bottom hose (passenger side exiting rad) getting warm/hot, thus showing the stat is opening & doing it's job, & then feel the rad for cold spots to check it's flowing fully & doing it's job.
Just my opinions of course :D
Last edited by missfixit70 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:08 pm

mister munkey wrote:Interesting point.

I guess to start with you coulld replace the radiator, intercooler, rear heater matrix, all 16 hoses plus the metal pipes that form part of the plumbing, water pump, header tank & possibly a dozen other parts that form part of the sealed system. (I would imagine that would cost a fair bit) Then you could relax knowing that a leak is unlikely to boil your pride & joy.

Personally, I'd stick a CA in too just for extra peace of mind.

8)
Intercooler not part of the cooling system :wink: (sorry pedantic head on :oops: :lol: )
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Oh Kirst youput things so much better than me :)
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
dandemann8 wrote:Hi, why do so many Bongo owners fit a coolant alarm :?: It may give you an early warning that a problem as occurred but surly there is preventitive action prior to fitting a Coolant Alarm that we can take :?: I've heard it may prevent HGF and a costly bill down the line but what are the exact weakness's of the Bongo engine that we can maintain to keep our babies on the road i.e replace hoses at regular intervals say 2 to 3 years, check your oil and water levels and frequent servicing etc....

Thank you.

Duncan.
Okay, you've got a mid engined vehicle anything up to 15 years old, with a radiator, 2 heater matrixes, 17 hoses, numerous metal pipes & connections & a cast iron block with an ally head. Several weak points there already, water pump & thermostats fail, mixing of incompatible jap/uk spec coolants (possibly leading to sludging, jelly like "snakes" & chemical corrosion weakening the head) fan sensors, fans, etc.
Add into that the fact that under low loads, short runs etc, the rad isn't under full flow (leading to sediment settling & blockage) & the stat will rarely have to open as the cooling will be achieved by the heater matrixes & "bypass" pipework (see this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=35902 ) so has a good chance of siezing/failing shut.
As discussed several times on here before & often the source of very "heated" debates :wink: , it is a very good idea to replace what you know may be a weak point, ie stat, hoses, corroded pipework, rad, waterpump & thoroughly flush it all through with a chemical flush to ensure there is no mixing of incompatible coolants, BUT most people just can't afford to do all that - I know I can't.
I've replaced all the hoses with silicon, replaced the stat & flushed it a couple of times, but I have fitted a Mason alarm to warn me if the temp is rising & a coolant high & low level alarm to warn moe of coolant loss.
Interstingly, the coolant alarm has warned quite a few people of dropping coolant levels AFTER such replacements due to very slight weeps on joints etc.
It's a risk analysis - spend up to £1000 replacing EVERYTHING possible on the coolant system & hope none of those replacements leak or fail, or do what you can & fit alarms to warn you of any potential issues (hopefully) before expensive damage is done, the choice is yours.
The main issue is the fact that the engine WILL NOT withstand overheating well like other engines will, due to its construction (cast block & ally head), so it makes sense to protect it.
One of my hoses went the day after I'd checked them, so unles you plan on lifting the seats every time you turn the key, it's a no brainer to me, the coolant alarm constantly checks the coolant level & self tests every time the ignition is turned on.
I would most definitely recommend changing the stat & a proper flush as a minimum (backflush & flow test the rad) & hoses as you can afford or as necessary & replace the rad if at all suspect.
Give it a "proper" run every so often, & when you pull over, leave the engine running until you feel the bottom hose (passenger side exiting rad) getting warm/hot, thus showing the stat is opening & doing it's job, & then feel the rad for cold spots to check it's flowing fully & doing it's job.
Just my opinions of course :D
Wow what a fantastic in depth answer, like I say I'm not against the fitting of a CA I'm just looking for other preventitive answers along the way.
Bongo no more........... ;-(
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:21 pm

There's also this thread which may help - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 33&start=0 .

I like your line of thinking Dandemann8, but I believe it is the combination of good maintenance, precautionary measures, alarms/monitoring & an understanding of the cooling system & its possible weak points that should lead to a long & well travelled life [-o<.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Welcome back Kirsty!!!

:lol: =D> :lol:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:05 pm

One extra thing to consider is that your temp gauge sender gets it's reading from the coolant, if that leaks out the temp sensor may not register you are over heating.

Low coolant is a bad thing, whether it's gradually leaking or sudden.

You can still overheat with full coolant though, hence the extra things like a TM-2.

I did without for a couple of years but TBH I feel alot better now I have these things, as others have said it can cost big bucks if you overheat.

Andy
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:35 pm

I am surprised that nobody (until now) has mentioned the very real possibilty of road debris causing catastrophic damage to the radiator.

The matrix is quite visible and exposed through several large apertures in the nonexistent front grille.

Having had a sharp object thrown up by a vehicle speeding down a litter strewn hard shoulder go into my rad on a not dissimilar vehicle, one of my priorities was to screen the Bongo's rad with panels from an almost new matt black fireguard acquired at a car boot sale.

The low coolant alarm would flag up loss from such damage.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:41 pm

The day I bought mine it overheated & cracked the head. Made it the last 180 miles home on a RAC truck & cost £1200 to get properly sorted. :(

An alarm would've given me half a chance.
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I think Kirsty pretty much summed it up. There is so much to go wrong from a coolant leak point of veiw that even a comprehensive daily check may not spot a potential leak under heat and pressure. Under a £100 and its sorted.
Bleep .....its OK. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep....not OK :wink: .
I have fitted coolant alarms to any vehicles I have sold in the past 2 years.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:51 pm

The way I see it, you may be an excellent driver but you are still wise to carry insurance. Transfer that argument to your dear old (precious) Bongo and........ 8)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:12 pm

[quote="Diplomat"]I am surprised that nobody (until now) has mentioned the very real possibilty of road debris causing catastrophic damage to the radiator.

The matrix is quite visible and exposed through several large apertures in the nonexistent front grille.

Having had a sharp object thrown up by a vehicle speeding down a litter strewn hard shoulder go into my rad on a not dissimilar vehicle, one of my priorities was to screen the Bongo's rad with panels from an almost new matt black fireguard acquired at a car boot sale.

The low coolant alarm would flag up loss from such damage.

Hi Frank,the coolant radiator is quite well protected by the front air con rad.

Return to “Techie Stuff”