Whats this bit do ??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

springer

Whats this bit do ??

Post by springer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:46 pm

Ok so my BONGO limped home today, pooor girl aint well, so I popped the bonnet, and AGHAST seems no coolant in the expansion tank, booked her in for a checkover.

But happened to spot a lever, and wondered what it is for.

Looks like on the air intake, a 2 position, manual lever, so assuming it opens and closes air intake ?? and which position should it be in, mine is facing front of BONGO.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Whats this bit do ??

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Winter/summer change over switch for the ac/heater system, Not sure which way it should be, only fitted to some models, not sure if it's just fitted to the models with the cold winter pack, e 2 batteries & the cold start valve in the exhaust as well?
Edit - just checked in the handbook (p191) & it should be forward for normal climate & back for cold climate, it says it's for the cold climate vehicle grade option, but I bet there's at least one out there that isn't :wink:
Last edited by missfixit70 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
springer

Post by springer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Fountain of all knowledge comes to my rescue again, cheers.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Re the coolant, have you topped it up & if so by how much? or checked to see if you can see where it's leaking from?
If you aren't sure DO NOT drive it, especially if you are relying on the standard dumbed down temp gauge to tell you anything useful. You could well have an airlock which could result in expensive damage, apart from the fact you dont' know why it's lost coolant.
I'd definitely consider getting some monitoring gauges/mods/alarms sorted once you've got the problem fixed, could save you a lot of money in the long run.
But at least you know what your lever's for :wink:
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 pm

I have that lever on a 1999 V6.....Defo not got a winter pack
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Knew there'd be at least one :wink:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:46 pm

pressure test the cooling system.that may show up any leaks that aint obvious
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 pm

haydn callow wrote:I have that lever on a 1999 V6.....Defo not got a winter pack
Mines the same as Haydn's, '99 V6 :roll: :)

Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Mine has the same lever, I've flicked between the two positions through all four seasons & it makes not one iota of difference either way.

:(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:25 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Knew there'd be at least one :wink:
I have one as well... and it isn't a winter pack / twin battery job either :lol: At least i know where to put it now :shock: (don't even think about responding to that Kirsty) :lol:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 pm

dunslair wrote:
missfixit70 wrote:Knew there'd be at least one :wink:
I have one as well... and it isn't a winter pack / twin battery job either :lol: At least i know where to put it now :shock: (don't even think about responding to that Kirsty) :lol:

Spoilsport :evil: :wink: :lol:
springer

Post by springer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:06 am

Mine has the winter pack, twin battery, and exhaust thingy, so will set the switch and forget it.

RE the coolant - It has just had a new cylinder head, and I have not spotted a leak, so I can only assume it was filled wrongly, does it really make such a difference when filling the coolant to follow the proper procedure, cos if it does I need to tell the garage what to do.

And are the temp guages really that bad ? for it not to move one bit over temp, despite a seriously low coolant level.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:11 pm

RE the coolant - It has just had a new cylinder head, and I have not spotted a leak, so I can only assume it was filled wrongly, does it really make such a difference when filling the coolant to follow the proper procedure, cos if it does I need to tell the garage what to do.
It's important to get the air out of the system, and your garage may know how. Opinions differ on how to do this and there are several methods they can use, including Mazdas own. Some of the methods are on a factsheet in the members area.
And are the temp guages really that bad ? for it not to move one bit over temp, despite a seriously low coolant level.

When ours boiled up, the temp gauge didn't move until the last second. It happened to be the last second before coolant spewed out of the header tank... We have a smart light changing temperature gauge on it now and the gauge moves when the engine works harder.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services

Return to “Techie Stuff”