Airlift 1000

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bakey

Airlift 1000

Post by bakey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Well I've just finished fitting Airlift 1000s to the Freda - nothwithstanding the comments on here on how easy it is, it was bl**dy fiddly!

Anyway, they're now in. My question: fully loaded with a bike rack, what psi are you all using?

Cheers

Mike
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: Airlift 1000

Post by hembramacho » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:32 pm

That didn't take long to get them sorted Bakey. Thought the priority was to colour code your AFT???? :lol:

Hope you had a good holiday.

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Around 18 on mine
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
bakey

Post by bakey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 pm

I thought you were in la belle France, Andrew - watch out for those data fees!

See you soon.

Mike
Tomo 53
Bongolier

Post by Tomo 53 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 am

dandywarhol wrote:Around 18 on mine
Hi/ i have a small side conversion and one set of seats missing so I lift to 18psi then with an off road motorcycle strapped across the back of the Bongo i lift to 24psi.
handles better than it did before even with the bike on .easy bit of kit to fit as long as you point the valves down and not up as on the instruction sheet from matt savage .
Tomo
johnny7
Junior Bongonaut

Post by johnny7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:45 pm

I have just fitted mine today but I have the valves to the top. I managed to route the pipes through a small hole in the top spring mounts. I have placed the inflation valve next to the fuel filler behind the flap. I have noticed that when the wheels are on the ground the bags are a little loose in the spring, I can move them up and down a bit is that right?

Cheers
BongoBonkers
Bongolier

Post by BongoBonkers » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 pm

We put 50 psi in ours. I don't know if that's the way to go but it seems ok....We do have a fairly heavy 'rear end' though.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:37 pm

johnny7 wrote:I have just fitted mine today but I have the valves to the top. I managed to route the pipes through a small hole in the top spring mounts. I have placed the inflation valve next to the fuel filler behind the flap. I have noticed that when the wheels are on the ground the bags are a little loose in the spring, I can move them up and down a bit is that right?

Cheers

Kinda defeats the purpose I'd say - i got some plastic spacers and silconed them onto the spring seats to enable the bags to fit solidly in the coils - there surely can't be any real pressure in the bags if they're floating loose...........

%0 Bonkers :shock: the back end must feel solid! That must be putting a helluva strain on the bags when you hit a pothole and load it up.......................
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
BongoBonkers
Bongolier

Post by BongoBonkers » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Feels OK with 50 but not a recommendation....boring story but basically was very, very short of time before a 3000km holiday in France and had four new things on van: spring assisters, lpg conversion, towbar and Thule back box. Our back end has always irritated me, constantly bottoming on speedbumps, etc and now it would be even worse with all this new weight on the rear plus a full van in 'holiday' spec. Hence I had a quick look at the instructions to see what max pressure is and just pumped 50 into them to see how it went and perhaps reduce pressure later (as I had already read of Dandy's amongst other people's 18 psi-ish settings). Anyhow, it felt fine and I had plenty on my plate mechanically on that holiday so I forgot about it.

Perhaps best to start low and work upwards? Good luck
johnny7
Junior Bongonaut

Post by johnny7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm

I have 35psi in at the mo. I think like you a set of spacers are whats needed to make them work properly so the hunt is on.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm

The Airlift Part number of the spacers I used is #09112 one top and one bottom
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:31 pm

I have just fitted mine today but I have the valves to the top. I managed to route the pipes through a small hole in the top spring mounts. I have placed the inflation valve next to the fuel filler behind the flap. I have noticed that when the wheels are on the ground the bags are a little loose in the spring, I can move them up and down a bit is that right?
That's how my first pair of Air Spring Assisters burst as dandy will confirm. I had them put on by a local garage who followed the American instructions and not those posted in the Bongo Fury fact sheet. At first everything worked fine with the valves on top but about six months after they were fitted I was carrying a heavy load in my Bongo (partner's daughter's house move) and on the M6 I hit a bumpy section of the motorway and heard a big bang. The weight of the Bongo had crashed down to the bump stops squashing the air line and causing the assisters to burst.

If I were you I would take them off and put them on the right way round as are my second pair of Air Spring Assisters.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:36 am

I'd forgotten that Tony...........

Did you hear or FEEL a big bang???? :wink:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 am

Well with my hearing difficulty Alan I guess that I felt it more than I heard it. But June's daughter Lucy who was travelling in my Bongo with me at the time certainly heard the bang as well as felt the bump. I remember saying to Lucy immediately afterwards "what the hell was that", to which she replied "I've no idea" since she knew nothing about my Bongo having air Spring assisters fitted to it.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I would have thought that as long as the gap doesn't allow lateral movement which could damage the assister it should work like a progressive spring with the extra resistance coming in for big deflections but allowing normal springing over minor road defects when normally laden.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]

Return to “Techie Stuff”