Faulty fuel gauge, sender fix.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Faulty fuel gauge, sender fix.

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:16 pm

A couple of pics and info on how to fix a faulty fuel gauge, normally a bad earth if the fuel gauge isn't working properly, using the fuel sender with a new earth wire.
Find the hatch, its about a metre behind the drivers seat, Unscrew and take off.(mines under my new floor, glad i left access :wink: )
Unlpug the wire loom, take a new wire (earth) fit a ring on one end,
and fix under one of the screws holding the fuel sender, give it a bit of a wire brush clean first.
Then push the other end (bare wire) into the plug (the one with the black wire) then re-attach the plug onto the sender unit.(i also put a bit of wax-oil over the ring terminal to keep it from rusting)
When done, just put everything back.
You can do the earth fix from underneath the bongo, This may be the only way if you have no access from above.
Lost without my Bongo.
kawasaki kid
Tribal Elder

Re: Faulty fuel gauge, sender fix.

Post by kawasaki kid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:39 pm

Well done matey - a couple of pics are worth a thousand words. =D> =D>
If I had all the money I ever spent on my Freda ............ I`d spend it on my Freda.
andyb36
Tribal Elder

Post by andyb36 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 am

hi dave

its a job ive got to do asap now - where as the fuel gauge was tempermental - its now not working

its springs into life every now and then - but at present stays on empty

a job i was dreading - but seems quite easy after reading a few threads and looking at the pics

should be at it this week

nice one for the pics etc

andy
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:25 pm

When ours went wonky I scraped to bare metal round one of the holes in the tank rim, soldered a couple of eyes onto a wire, bolted through the hole in the tank rim and connected the other end to a bolt on the chassis near the under the driver's seat.
Sprayed the whole lot with waxoyl, works a treat and took about 10 minutes.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Dave did the same fix on my bongo the other week =D> =D> =D>
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
ska bongo
Bongonaut

Post by ska bongo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 am

Excellent description - thanks dbo! Looks like ours is now working and we can stop checking if we've done our target of 430km :)
Pompeyrich

Post by Pompeyrich » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 pm

I cannot thank you enough for the descritive photos cause at last for the first time in 2 years my fuel gauge works !!!!!!!

YOUR A GENIUS THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:18 pm

daveblueozzie wrote: You can do the earth fix from underneath the bongo, but it means drilling into the lip of the fuel tank and then finding a place for the other end of the wire to fix to the bodywork to make the earth. This may be the only way if you have no access from above.

No need for any drilling to fix from underneath, the holes are already there
Allans wrote:First kneel down beside the driver’s door, and look underneath your Bongo. You’ll see the rectangular bulge of the fuel tank beneath the floor. A ‘lipped’ seam runs around the tank. This seam has holes pre-drilled into it. Now look towards the rear of the Bongo - Just in front of the (drivers side) rear wheel there’s a ‘T’ shaped metal plate that runs from the sill to the chassis. There are 2 holes pre-drilled in this plate. Select a hole on the tank, and a hole on the plate. Measure the distance between these holes. Cut a length of electrical wire to this length. Attach a connector to each end of the wire. Use nuts and bolts to attach the connectors to the holes
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:31 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
daveblueozzie wrote: You can do the earth fix from underneath the bongo, but it means drilling into the lip of the fuel tank and then finding a place for the other end of the wire to fix to the bodywork to make the earth. This may be the only way if you have no access from above.

No need for any drilling to fix from underneath, the holes are already there
Allans wrote:First kneel down beside the driver’s door, and look underneath your Bongo. You’ll see the rectangular bulge of the fuel tank beneath the floor. A ‘lipped’ seam runs around the tank. This seam has holes pre-drilled into it. Now look towards the rear of the Bongo - Just in front of the (drivers side) rear wheel there’s a ‘T’ shaped metal plate that runs from the sill to the chassis. There are 2 holes pre-drilled in this plate. Select a hole on the tank, and a hole on the plate. Measure the distance between these holes. Cut a length of electrical wire to this length. Attach a connector to each end of the wire. Use nuts and bolts to attach the connectors to the holes
Theres always more than one way to skin a cat,what difference does it make as long as a FIX is the end result! :P

Dabs
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Totally agree that's why I was explaining to peeps that you CAN do it from underneath easily without drilling anything (as we've been saying for a while), not trying to upstage anyone or have a pop, just trying to help those that may not be able to easily access the top of the fuel tank (if they've got a floor/conversion etc) & think they have to start drilling holes in the fuel tank or anywhere else :D .
It can also be done by dropping the fuel tank if you really want to, but unless the sender is fubar, there shouldn't be any need.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Totally agree that's why I was explaining to peeps that you CAN do it from underneath easily without drilling anything (as we've been saying for a while), not trying to upstage anyone or have a pop, just trying to help those that may not be able to easily access the top of the fuel tank (if they've got a floor/conversion etc) & think they have to start drilling holes in the fuel tank or anywhere else :D .
It can also be done by dropping the fuel tank if you really want to, but unless the sender is fubar, there shouldn't be any need.
At the time of my original post I didn't know it could be done without drilling, Would an admin edit my original post to state this, so not to confuse peeps or put them off from fixing the faulty fuel gauge from under the bongo, rather than the fix I suggested, as its been said before as long as it works that ok.
Lost without my Bongo.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 pm

I have edited the origional hope the wording is ok, if not, pm what you want it to be and it will be done :D
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:24 pm

westonwarrior wrote:I have edited the origional hope the wording is ok, if not, pm what you want it to be and it will be done :D
That seems ok to me, if anyone else has any suggestions (polite ones please #-o ) then pm westonwarrior and he can edit or add as he thinks fit.
Lost without my Bongo.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm

If you don't mind me saying so guys, it could be a gauge issue in some cases with earth continuity from the tank to the chassis as opposed to the earth just from the sender to the tank...?

My guess looking at how the tank is slung under the van... http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html & bearing in mind tainted/dirty/waxoiled tank bolts & brackets??
briwy wrote:When ours went wonky I scraped to bare metal round one of the holes in the tank rim, soldered a couple of eyes onto a wire, bolted through the hole in the tank rim and connected the other end to a bolt on the chassis near the under the driver's seat.
Sprayed the whole lot with waxoyl, works a treat and took about 10 minutes.
A simple classic example of of earthing the tank to the chassis! :wink: 8)

I did mine like this...

& it works for me!

However, its worth mentioning if after doing this you find it don't...? (& i'm not suggesting it wont.) :wink: Try running an earth strap from Dave's pics to where Briwy mentioned... There are earth points under the drivers seat on the chassis near the air filter.... :mrgreen:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Good point jaylee =D>
I suppose it could be done all in one go, one wire from the sender and one from the chassis both connected to the earth, a bit of a belt and braces fix.
Last edited by daveblueozzie on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost without my Bongo.

Return to “Techie Stuff”