Tyre pressures

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Tyre pressures

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 18, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Kirsty
I remember you saying that you had some 8) 8) 8) ...i just used trial and error on the tyres until I found what suits...i even think the front might be a little high??...regarding compressor....I'm just lazy, and like gadgets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....PLUS it's good for blowing up tyres and airbeds....and maybe for the odd on-site jacuzzi :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 18, 2011 11:38 am

dandemann8 wrote:
helen&tony wrote:Hi dandemann
What system did you use?...
Cheers
Helen
Hi Helen scroll down this link you will see two, one for standard and one for lowered.

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/copy ... rings.html

Real easy to fit, about two hours roughly :wink: :)

Hope this helps :?:
I fancy fitting these. But 2hrs? Is it really that quick and easy, even for an ageing numpty like me? :roll:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Depends how you do it, I dropped my suspension & gave it all a good clean & wax oil on the bits that are usually out of sight while I was at it, probably wasn't any more than 3 hours or so with teabreaks & fannying about with different options for runnning the air hose. I think BongoTerry here - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 72#p444472 didn't take long from what he said when I was chatting at Softies & his right arm is pretty much fubar after a bike smash. As he says in his post, if he can do it, anyone can :wink: Challenge laid down Mike, I'll expect it to be done & ready for inspection at Stourport :P
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 18, 2011 1:30 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Depends how you do it, I dropped my suspension & gave it all a good clean & wax oil on the bits that are usually out of sight while I was at it, probably wasn't any more than 3 hours or so with teabreaks & fannying about with different options for runnning the air hose. I think BongoTerry here - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 72#p444472 didn't take long from what he said when I was chatting at Softies & his right arm is pretty much fubar after a bike smash. As he says in his post, if he can do it, anyone can :wink: Challenge laid down Mike, I'll expect it to be done & ready for inspection at Stourport :P
:-# :-# :-# but I may just give it a go (got some other toys to fit also and a freshly dented rear bumper to mend so plenty for me to 'not get round to doing ' :lol: )
TerryG
Bongolier

Post by TerryG » Sat May 21, 2011 5:43 pm

But the handbook states front 2wd: 1.8 bar (24psi); front 4wd: 2.0 bar (29psi); and rear (both) 2.4 bar (35psi).
So what is one to do?
'Enjoy every sandwich'
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun May 22, 2011 10:48 am

TerryG wrote:But the handbook states front 2wd: 1.8 bar (24psi); front 4wd: 2.0 bar (29psi); and rear (both) 2.4 bar (35psi).
So what is one to do?

Simple,one could sling the handbook or do what it says,I think the vehicle manufacturers should know what the tyre pressure should be.They spend millions on development.

Cheers.
TerryG
Bongolier

Post by TerryG » Sun May 22, 2011 6:14 pm

teenmal wrote:
TerryG wrote:But the handbook states front 2wd: 1.8 bar (24psi); front 4wd: 2.0 bar (29psi); and rear (both) 2.4 bar (35psi).
So what is one to do?

Simple,one could sling the handbook or do what it says,I think the vehicle manufacturers should know what the tyre pressure should be.They spend millions on development.

Yes indeed, that's what I thought and that's what I've been doing, then I read all these posts about running pressures in the high 30's and into the 40's and thought maybe there was some other authority that I wasn't aware of. I tried running higher pressures and it was like sitting on a roller-skate - and here in Kent where there appears to be more pothole than road these days, a bit of sidewall compliance is very welcome I can tell you!
'Enjoy every sandwich'
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I think it is a little of try and re-try until the car feels right and settled then keep an eye on tyres for wear or uneven wear. I started at 40 psi all round and i`m currently at 38 all round back feels ok front still feels a bit hard so for the next week i`m going to try 36 fronts and leave the back at 38. I run 225 x 55 x 17 so i would think different tyres need different pressures,cant imagine running 24psi in the fronts :shock:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun May 22, 2011 6:27 pm

TerryG wrote:
teenmal wrote:
So what is one to do?

Yes indeed, that's what I thought and that's what I've been doing, then I read all these posts about running pressures in the high 30's and into the 40's and thought maybe there was some other authority that I wasn't aware of. I tried running higher pressures and it was like sitting on a roller-skate - and here in Kent where there appears to be more pothole than road these days, a bit of sidewall compliance is very welcome I can tell you!

Exactly,the tyres act as part of the suspension,the harder the tyres the more strain put on the rest of the suspension and drop links etc.

Cheers.
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Sun May 22, 2011 7:15 pm

The tyre pressure chart is on the pillar of the drivers door.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Before I'd ever heard of Bongofury or indeed bongos, a friend got a bongo, we set the tyre pressures to those on the door plate (which meant letting a LOT of air out from where they were set at the time), tyres were practically flat, handled like sh*t. When I got my bongo, trial & error & discussions on here led me to the 38/40 that I now use on my 17's.
Apparantly (have no idea how true this is) the original Jap tyres were softer compound or sumat, top speeds over there are generally lower, not sure if that has a bearing on it. There have been endless tyre debates over the years that have caused almost as much dummy spitting as coolant issues :wink:
It's up to you basically, follow whichever train of thought makes most sense to you.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Dr.Jekyll

Post by Dr.Jekyll » Sun May 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Upping the pressure to 38F & 40R has increased my fuel economy by around 2% and improved the feel of the Bongo to boot. As already said, have a go and see how it feels.
Timnz
Bongolier

Post by Timnz » Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 pm

I noticed going from 32 at the back to 38 had a dramatic improvement in the handling, the van was just really soggy and rolly around corners, but 36-38 is much better... depends on the brand/type of tires you have at the back, and probably the profile too..
Timnz
Bongolier

Post by Timnz » Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 am

oops that was after running the van on the motorway.. more like Front 32 - rear 34 psi when cold..!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 am

missfixit70 wrote:Before I'd ever heard of Bongofury or indeed bongos, a friend got a bongo, we set the tyre pressures to those on the door plate (which meant letting a LOT of air out from where they were set at the time), tyres were practically flat, handled like sh*t. When I got my bongo, trial & error & discussions on here led me to the 38/40 that I now use on my 17's.
Apparantly (have no idea how true this is) the original Jap tyres were softer compound or sumat, top speeds over there are generally lower, not sure if that has a bearing on it. There have been endless tyre debates over the years that have caused almost as much dummy spitting as coolant issues :wink:
It's up to you basically, follow whichever train of thought makes most sense to you.

=D> =D> I have tyres (Wheelquick supplied) made in Singapore... which I run 40/42 on my 17's yet the Winter 15's being Van spec tyres I run at 32/34 as the ride is much harder..... thanks to Mike snr at WQ for that suggestion... :wink:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Techie Stuff”