tonyj
Bongonaut

Sliding door replacement... done (1996 Bongo) *DON'T DELETE*

Post by tonyj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Just an FYI for anyone else wanting to do this job :
Original idea from search the net/this forum :
"
To remove the sliding door, you have to :
1. Remove the interior trim, and undo 2 bolts half way down the back edge.
2. Open the door a bit, and remove 3 bolts holding the lower front runner onto the door.
3. Slide the door all the way back to within 6" of fully open
4. The top runner will drop out of a gap in the top rail
5. Swing the door open 'suicide door' style.
6. Slide the door off the rear middle runner which you unbolted in step 1.
"
actual procedure i just did with was an easier way than above IMHO :

1. the slidey thing that connects from the slider door into the midway point of the bongo main body panel 'runner' , at the end of this 'runner' is a plastic block - this pops off and a wee plastic clip prevents the door slidey thing from coming right off the end, so remove this clip by squeezing it together with fingers and pushing to the right with a screw driver.
2. remove 2 and leave one tight of the 3 bolts at the bottom (near the front ) of the door, you may need to move the interior trim a little to get to these...
3. on the very top of the door there are 2 others, remove 1 and leave 1 tight.
4. get someone strong or and idiot like me to take the weight of the door and almost open it but just enough so you can still get at the bottom 1 bolt remaining.
5. get someone else to remove the top bolt, and then the final bolt at the bottom (ensure SHE DOES NOT MISTAKE THIS FOR BOLT ON THE ARM THAT CONNECTS IT TO THE DOOR! - ITS the BOTTOM BOLT THATS IN THE DOOR FRAME!!!!!!!!!!!)
6. slide the door out of the runner in the main body and comes right off and move it away.
7. remove all interior panneling (much easier than doing it from inside the bongo)
8. remove the barrel from inside the door frame:
8a) locate the barrel and remove a retaining clip that connect the arm of the lock-knob to the barrel.
8b) remove the arm connecector, just move it out of the way
8c) remove the large (gold) clip that keep the barrel firm against the back of the door frame - the barrel will simply come out the outside side of the door.
8d) reverse the above to put the barrel back on your replacement door.

9) reverse all the above to place back the (new) door.

some fine adjustments can be needed to get the auto-motor lock mechanism to work quietly, as when putting the bolts back (especially the 2 top bolts) there is potential for adjustment and therefore they may go back not quite right. the noise of plastic rubbing is the 2 rubber stops that are on the inside of the bongo where the door shuts (male), and on the bongo door itself (female), and can cause a nasty squeel. just adjust the top nuts to bring in or out accordingly. there are 2 bolts at the bottom of bongo where an 'arm' connects to the 3 main bolts on the door frame, these can also be adjusted, but as you didnt move/remove them , leave them be unless necessary (or someone accidently removed them instead of the other bolts! :0 )

all in all, took about 15mins of thinking and messing with the interior panel and giving up on that, then 45mins for the procedure above.

Hope it helps
Cheers
Tony
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Sliding door replacement... done (1996 Bongo)

Post by Doone » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:49 pm

=D> That's a great post Tony, I'll put a 'DONT DELETE' on it, add it to the FAQ, and Ian might like to incorporate it into the factsheet.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Sliding door replacement... done (1996 Bongo) *DON'T DEL

Post by Ian » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:34 pm

I'll add any additions to the existing member's fact sheet.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
triathlondave
Bongolier

Re: Sliding door replacement... done (1996 Bongo) *DON'T DEL

Post by triathlondave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for the post

I need to change my slidding door after some scrote kicked and dented it inside and out.

He got prison time for this and other offences. So no money and no compensation

When I find a white door I will be doing this during the summer

I have looked for how to do this everywhere

So again thanks for the post.

david

Return to “Techie Stuff”