A Bongo Adventure to Greece

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

helen&tony
Supreme Being

A Bongo Adventure to Greece

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:50 am

Hi
We're looking at a wee adventure next year...Greece!
This year, we were all raring to go, but I had health problems, and we also have had the builder here for a year, so with one thing and another, it's next year!
We haven't got dates yet, but thought that a few other Bongonauts might care to join in, and as the Russian Club didn't meet this year, ...a few "Bongo Fury" members were keen, but timing was the problem.
Well...Greece...lovely place...and I've been to this site before...rather nice, except the loos and showers...but, hey, I'm not fussy, and the campsite is very clean....It's a few years since we have been, so I'll get some updates from them.
The owners were nice, they opened up for us in winter, and we went in February....Fan blinking tastic...a lovely view of distant mountains across the bay, and we parked Bongo and caravan 50-60 yards from the Aegean ...walk that distance, step off a small kerb, and you're ankle deep in the oggin....gorgeous...even in February!!!!...
Now...WHERE?...halfway down on the right :lol: :lol: :lol: ...a place called Stylida...and my reason for going....Thermopylae is just up the road, and I LOVE Greek history...and I've had a thing about seeing one of the most important places for over 50 years...We didn't have time to stop, before, but it HAS to bee seen
Look it up:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
Out of interest, the Clipper Thermopylae is one of my favourite ships of yesteryear, along with Cutty Sark :- http://www.aberdeenships.com/single.asp?index=99403
Anyway...it's a trip we'll be doing, BUT....depending on interest, I know another site in a wee village south of Thessaloniki...primitive, but I think it's been modernised, and it's a drive along the beach to the campsite....Had we had time to stay, I'd have spent ages there...HUGE beach...again in February, and all the locals were long-line fishing (or whatever it's called) , with whacking great fishing rods, and I'm sure this one's been updated...bit of a shame, as it was gorgeously rustic, and the owner opened it up for us...I expect the site bar/ restaurant is all posh now, but it was wonderfully tatty and like an old fisherman's delight years ago...clean inside, but rustic, nice grub, and a grand bit o' local plonk.....
There are 2 ways of getting there...we opted to take the ferry from Bari to Patras...and the Greek ferries are VERY nice...and you can have the dogs in the cabin....and the cabins are surgically clean!....We had time for a nice kip!
So Route 1/. England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece...or miss out Switzerland
Route 2/. France, Germany, Austria , Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece.
You can go for one route here, and the other home...
Perhaps The Russian Bongo members might like to meet us there?...
I'm happy to organise routes, plan stops for people, write to the campsites, find things to do, and so on...It will give me something to do when we get snowed in this year / early next...(Hopefully not too much snow [-o< [-o< [-o< )....
Anyway...what do folks think....????....It really is something you'll talk about for years!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Re: A Bongo Adventure to Greece

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Tempting..!! not too hot for a Bongo in Feb?

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi
Derek...
It's a FANTASTIC TRIP...really worth some effort...I haven't got any dates in mind yet...maybe spring / early summer, depending on what folks want?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 pm

We both love Greece, but never done the mainland. The Mrs is mad keen on anything to do with Greek history, she always wants to see 'the sights'.

We would have to think long and hard on this: I am almost 'retired', but would need leave from part-time teaching to do this. We do have lots of friends strategically scattered through France however... :D I guess allow a month, all in?
Also, aircon still U/S..will have to get that sorted!

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Derek
You could look in at Marathon, which took place 10 years before...and Mount Olympus...well, you probably think I'm barmy (you'd be right!)...but you can "feel" the Gods "at home"....
You're right about the air-con...you'll need it....
It depends which way you come...I prefer the Italian route....but there are some great places for a visit in Romania...especially in Vampire country...don't believe the vampire discoveries in Bulgaria, though....it's all fabricated for the tourists...
As for how long to take....it really depends on what you want to do!...I'd love to soak up some Greek history....if you can find time, there's so much of it...
Go on...you know you want to! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Sounds so tempting and a very interesting tour. Always wanted to visit Greece but I'm in motorhome now as the bongo was sold last year. Also I too am stuck with work at school until the 2nd July

Will keep an eye on this post if having a bongone around is allowed :)
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Cat
Just a nice trip, Bongo or not....I like Greece...and we were going to buy a Landie and caravan about 20 odd years back, and just bum it . Tony lived on a hippy colony for a while, and worked on the mainland for a while , and we fancied a bit of time out...
Anyway...it's a good area for a history trek, if that's what you like. If you go south to Athens, it's a bit hot and chokey that time of year (July), and I wouldn't touch it in season, but there's cool by the coast!
Cheers
Helen
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:33 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Cat
Just a nice trip, Bongo or not....I like Greece...and we were going to buy a Landie and caravan about 20 odd years back, and just bum it . Tony lived on a hippy colony for a while, and worked on the mainland for a while , and we fancied a bit of time out...
Anyway...it's a good area for a history trek, if that's what you like. If you go south to Athens, it's a bit hot and chokey that time of year (July), and I wouldn't touch it in season, but there's cool by the coast!
Cheers
Helen
I will keep my eye on this post and see what dates you all come up with. Sounds a great adventure. I'd probably do it alone and then Chris would fly out and meet me somewhere for part of the trip if we were to do it, depending on dates :)
I love cheese!
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:20 pm

As a complete t*t at mechanics, I'd be interested in joining a 'convoy' of lunatics (not just Bongonuts) on a trip of this scale, preferably carrying some essential spares and a couple of folk who can really fix things when the Bongo mechanicals get into trouble (which they surely will do somewhere 'tween Dover and Thermopylae). Great idea to invite ex-Bongonauts with their posh motorhomes, then we can all get well jealous, and start eying up our pension funds ....(fat chance)

Could be an interesting journey.. :D

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:20 am

Hi
When the Bongo Crew came to Bulgaria, Ian made up a box of spares for use by those who needed...returnable if not used....I will ask nearer the time.
A convoy makes sense, but I can make up a route with suitable campsites, as I did for Bulgaria...you can drive in convoy , or use the same route and meet up at the camp, so you can take time if you wish, and if you all have a contact 'phone if in trouble, it'll be easy enough to organise help. One useful thing to have amongst you, is an internet smart phone...When my Jeep threw a pulley on the serpentine belt, I got a rescue truck which came from 50 Km the other side of the nearest city, BUT, I had a quick browse on the phone and came up with a locator for rescue trucks in the area. Most countries have a rescue service which will co-operate with AA/ RAC, but Bulgaria has no such service....but I have that covered for personal use...I will have a word with my contact and see what he can do for anyone using this route.
I can't speak for Romania, but I will ask around. I expect Greece will have...it's civilised...all other countries on the 2 routes will have something.
Anyway...let's gauge interest, first, and I can make sure that the journey's planned according to preference on the routes. There's always the internet!...and I'll let you have my 'phone number....I would imagine you will get me within minutes, and I'm sure to find an answer
Here's hoping the trip goes ahead.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Helen
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 am

Convoy is good if you're travelling alone too :)
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Cat
Well...if it all looks like a "Go", we'll organise someone to convoy with you!
Cheers
Helen
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:28 pm

On the Poland trip, one van had an alternator die & Ian (with assistance from other members) was able to deliver it in person. We had to do an emergency bleed at a Mazda main dealer when a hose sprang a leak. That's when you wish you knew how to speak the lingo :(
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Like the sound of this =D>
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi
Keep the interest and the discussion going, and I'll start a tentative interest list in a couple of months...when that's done, I'll ask for a preferred route, and then I can mail some campsites, and book ahead for you...PLUS...I'll see what's available for breakdown services, and possibly contact a few.
Frankly, if anyone's vehicle is in good order, all that's necessary is an inspection and service a few weeks before (sometimes a vehicle is a bit tricky after service), and I can't see many vehicles going wrong at all!
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”