Shiny new speakers

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

winchman
Supreme Being

Shiny new speakers

Post by winchman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Just been looking for some new speakers.
We used to have a really good car Hi Fi shop in Liverpool, he is now on line here

http://www.autoaudioservices.co.uk/

I got his last pair of top of the range Blaupunkt speakers with separate tweeters and crossovers, they fit straight in to the doors as they are very slim, I should be fitting them in a couple of weeks.
This bloke has a few sets left, these were £120 new now only old stock left

https://www.soundmasterscotland.com/bla ... 19101.aspx
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: Shiny new speakers

Post by winchman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Finall fitted them and wow what a difference
The Midrange unit is very thin and fits perfectly in the existion door pod
I sprayed the edge of the tweeters black and stuck them on the dash pointing at the window
Now the all important crossover is located under the dash with double sided tape
I am so impressed I will be buying some for my every day car,I feel having a proper crossover makes all the difference
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:07 pm

...it does ... A proper xover ensures your speakers are only doing the work they were intended for and consequently means you can drive them harder. If you look at speakers with built in crossovers they basically get away with a coil and a capacitor. Sometimes just a capacitor. This just cant work nearly as well as a proper xover.

Nice install and great price.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
fanx_ta_ra

Post by fanx_ta_ra » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi there Winchman, i like the look of your shiny new speakers alot.

I've had my Bongo for over a year know and had every intention of her having her finished by now but serious health issues put that on the backburner. I cant tell you how frustrating it was watching this forum and all the projects on the go by various members and not being able to get on with my own. Last week I fitted a Toad Ai606 alarm and immobiliser. Fitted an Alpine CDE W203Ri double din unit (£90.00 ex display unit from Halfords as new with full warranty) yesterday and now want some speakers to replace the factory fitted ones.

If I may can I trouble you with a couple of questions.

What is the purpose of the white sealant/goo around the speaker edge?

When you fitted the tweeters did you have to drill through the dash or is there enough play between the screen pillar cover and the dash edge to route the cables?

Can the tweeters be flush mounted as well as surface mounted within their pods?

And finally ....... how important is the tweeter position? My previous car had factory fitted tweeters in the same position as where you have fitted yours so presumably this seems to be a good position, but there are other options (i.e the kick panels in the footwells or the centre console by both sides of the cubby hole). Dont know how much this would affect the sound though.

And finally, finally ...... has anyone ever had success with removing the front speaker grilles and replacing like for like with fancy oval grilles for solely aesthetic purposes........if that makes any sense.

Apologies for the long windedness!!
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 pm

fanx_ta_ra wrote:Hi there Winchman, i like the look of your shiny new speakers alot.

I've had my Bongo for over a year know and had every intention of her having her finished by now but serious health issues put that on the backburner. I cant tell you how frustrating it was watching this forum and all the projects on the go by various members and not being able to get on with my own. Last week I fitted a Toad Ai606 alarm and immobiliser. Fitted an Alpine CDE W203Ri double din unit (£90.00 ex display unit from Halfords as new with full warranty) yesterday and now want some speakers to replace the factory fitted ones.

If I may can I trouble you with a couple of questions.
No problem

What is the purpose of the white sealant/goo around the speaker edge?
When you fit the speaker its slightly smaller so you have a gap around the edge this will allow air to move in and out so seal it with silicone as if you dont it wont sound quite as good
When you fitted the tweeters did you have to drill through the dash or is there enough play between the screen pillar cover and the dash edge to route the cables?
I easily managed to fit the tweeters as the cable threads down the side of the dash in a little gap

Can the tweeters be flush mounted as well as surface mounted within their pods?
The speakers I bought came with three sets of mounting pods for the tweeters, flush, angles and surface mount but they also have a hole in the rear and a screw so you could drill a flat panel and put the screw in from behind

And finally ....... how important is the tweeter position? My previous car had factory fitted tweeters in the same position as where you have fitted yours so presumably this seems to be a good position, but there are other options (i.e the kick panels in the footwells or the centre console by both sides of the cubby hole). Dont know how much this would affect the sound though.
Top of pillars at ear height is best, but not too easy in the Bongo as the pillar isnt flat, I tried them on the dash and they sounded very good so secured with double sided sticky foam pads, most cars have tweeters mounted flush in the dash and rely on the sound reflected from the screen
And finally, finally ...... has anyone ever had success with removing the front speaker grilles and replacing like for like with fancy oval grilles for solely aesthetic purposes........if that makes any sense.
I thought about this but didnt bother

Apologies for the long windedness!!
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Dodgey wrote:...it does ... A proper xover ensures your speakers are only doing the work they were intended for and consequently means you can drive them harder. If you look at speakers with built in crossovers they basically get away with a coil and a capacitor. Sometimes just a capacitor. This just cant work nearly as well as a proper xover.

Nice install and great price.
THanks
Going to move the crossovers to the foot well as only held on with double sided foam, but might try silicon first
fanx_ta_ra

Post by fanx_ta_ra » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for that info, greatly appreciated.......did you fit the ODC132's or ODC172's?
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 pm

fanx_ta_ra wrote:Thanks for that info, greatly appreciated.......did you fit the ODC132's or ODC172's?
I fitted the ODC132, he tried a few others first but many are too deep, these are very compact depth wise but still give a good sound and base.
fanx_ta_ra

Post by fanx_ta_ra » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Many, many thanks for your answers and time.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:28 pm

fanx_ta_ra wrote:Many, many thanks for your answers and time.
No problem, if we all help each other things are easy :D

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”