Tackeroo 3 - Sunday 17th April 2011

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

umbongocat
Supreme Being

Re: Tackeroo 3 - Sunday 17th April 2011

Post by umbongocat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:44 pm

The Forest Trail looks great, but I think we'll give it a miss... to expensive what with the fuel getting there.. lol
I love cheese!
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:53 pm

I suspect that there won't be enough doing to make it viable.

Have you visited this part of the world before? There's a lot to see and do in the area including theme parks (alton towers, cadbury's world, drayton manor etc.) Lot's of nice towns etc - Lichfield is worth a look.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:00 pm

dobby wrote:I suspect that there won't be enough doing to make it viable.

Have you visited this part of the world before? There's a lot to see and do in the area including theme parks (alton towers, cadbury's world, drayton manor etc.) Lot's of nice towns etc - Lichfield is worth a look.

Are you asking me ? I've not been there before but Chris has a long time ago. Think the theme parks are out though as that's more money.. thinking of going on one of Muz's horse treks though :) and just keen to meet other Bongo peeps.
I love cheese!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:53 am

umbongocat wrote:Where are you planing on camping Muz and are you doing Friday and Saturday or just Saturday?
We were going to camp at the day-meet site in the forest, the one with no facilities, as last year. We were only going to do the Saturday due to a heap of regular Friday night commitments the kids have.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:03 am

dobby wrote:I suspect that there won't be enough doing to make it viable.
Last year there were about 19 Bongos, so I can't see us getting 12 who are
a. interested in the trail
b. prepared to pay £50.00

Armed with a set of bolt-cutters - what about our own trek in the middle of the night? :twisted: :lol:
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Muzorewa wrote:
umbongocat wrote:Where are you planing on camping Muz and are you doing Friday and Saturday or just Saturday?
We were going to camp at the day-meet site in the forest, the one with no facilities, as last year. We were only going to do the Saturday due to a heap of regular Friday night commitments the kids have.
We'll probably be there on the Friday night as well as Saturday night now we have facilities :P

Is there any details of how we book for the Friday and Saturday night.. and where it is best to camp..

Will question you this weekend on it all Muz if you don't mind :D
I love cheese!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Last year the ranger just turned up in the evening to collect fees. We did tell him we weren't stopping but our awning & barbecue looked a tad suspicious :lol:

I'll do a print of the maps for the area to show you where to go, just hope they don't get too wet at the weekend [-o<
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Last year the ranger just turned up in the evening to collect fees. We did tell him we weren't stopping but our awning & barbecue looked a tad suspicious :lol:

I'll do a print of the maps for the area to show you where to go, just hope they don't get too wet at the weekend [-o<

Looking at Metcheck.com under the postcode LL61 6RP, looks like it will be partly sunny/partly cloudy on Saturday and cloudy on Sunday.. but no rain =D>
I love cheese!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

See here......

This is our normal route from M6 J13, you could do the same but get off at J12 and head up the A449 to Penkridge, or better still head through Cannock on the A34 and then turn right to Brindley Heath

Campsite location within Cannock Chase

Campsite on larger scale map

Campsite is in the centre of this image, best spot is the small clearing in the centre but anywhere is ok really

I'm not sure what used to be here previously but there are some concrete plinths which make ideal places to park on, not good for pegs though. We ended up tying our awning to a tree - at least there's plenty of them to choose from :lol: :lol:
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Muzorewa wrote:See here......

This is our normal route from M6 J13, you could do the same but get off at J12 and head up the A449 to Penkridge, or better still head through Cannock on the A34 and then turn right to Brindley Heath

Campsite location within Cannock Chase

Campsite on larger scale map

Campsite is in the centre of this image, best spot is the small clearing in the centre but anywhere is ok really

I'm not sure what used to be here previously but there are some concrete plinths which make ideal places to park on, not good for pegs though. We ended up tying our awning to a tree - at least there's plenty of them to choose from :lol: :lol:

oooh wow! Thanks for that. I'll get Chris to print it off and take a look... my navigational skills are not very good..
I love cheese!
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Muzorewa wrote: I'm not sure what used to be here previously but there are some concrete plinths which make ideal places to park on, not good for pegs though. We ended up tying our awning to a tree - at least there's plenty of them to choose from :lol: :lol:
Muz

The Chase was used extensively by the army during WW1 and Its the site of a military camp and hospital, the Tackeroo Express was a train that used to ferry soldiers up the hill. There's a story that wounded soldiers were told 'it's the Tackeroo express for you'. See link http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/25/ ... xpress.htm

I think Tackeroo has a Maori meaning as a lot of the soldiers based there were from NZ. See

http://www.cannockchasehistory.org.uk/p ... ckeroo.htm

Details of the Cannock Chase visitor centre are here:

http://www.cannockchasedc.gov.uk/site/s ... mentID=137

It's a nice place to visit and was one of our first discoveries when we moved to the area.

On a more sombre note, the German War Cemetery is not far.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannock_Ch ... r_cemetery
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 pm

Here's a few reviews about the campsite:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=7644
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm

We'll be there Friday and Saturday night :) sounds good
I love cheese!
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 pm

umbongocat wrote:We'll be there Friday and Saturday night :) sounds good
Excellent

We live quite close so staying will take a bit of persuading to the rest of the family :)
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:27 pm

dobby wrote:
umbongocat wrote:We'll be there Friday and Saturday night :) sounds good
Excellent

We live quite close so staying will take a bit of persuading to the rest of the family :)
Bongo or home? I know my answer.. lol
I love cheese!

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”