TM-2 Tabulated readings

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: TM-2 Tabulated readings

Post by mikexgough » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 pm

as I say......... come on moderators........ with another set of readings and more likely to come out of the closet.......set up a TM2 sticky so that the thing can be chatted about and data collected.... without having to plough through threads to get answers..... The makers in Oz are vague with the "instrument" by generalising, so to help those who have paid good money for the device, lets make it easy for them to natter about it.....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm

rita wrote:Hi,

Positioned at rear of cylinder head,

alarm set at 100.(Mason set at 5)

Normal running in this weather 85-88.
Thanks. Added to d/base
Can I assume your Bongo is diesel?
Steve
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:10 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:
rita wrote:Hi,

Positioned at rear of cylinder head,

alarm set at 100.(Mason set at 5)

Normal running in this weather 85-88.
Thanks. Added to d/base
Can I assume your Bongo is diesel?
Yep..
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm

The Great Pretender wrote:Unless all readings are taken from the same position on the engine the results can't be correlated.
My thoughts on this piece of kit are well known, as its saved some engines it has done its job.
I still maintain that it is reading effect and not the cause. Ask yourself where the ECU monitors the info it uses to control injector opening and advance, this should point you in the direction of where best to monitor from.
:wink:
Yup, thats all understood. Data gathered would have to include where sensor was mounted, so only meaningful comparisions were made. It would be better if someone who knew (hint hint) spelt out where (on this thread to save searching around for hours) the best (most meaningful) place to monitor engine temp was. Even so, given we have a legacy of people who may have fitted sensors elsewhere, we'd have to just gather data and record against each set, where each person has their sensor mounted.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:31 pm

I've put a 'Temperature and low coolant alarm' sticky at the top of the forum, please see THIS LINK
I've covered all the alarms that I'm aware of. Please let me know if there are any more.
I've also included this 'TM2 tabulated readings' discussion... When the readings are complete, I guess you'll be making a factsheet? If so, I can add a factsheet link later.
We have 'how to fit' factsheets and 'reviews' for a couple of the alarms. If anyone would like to do a factsheet or review for any of the other alarms, please let Ian know. I can add links to them later also.

If you think of anything else that could be included, please let me know.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Doone wrote:I've put a 'Temperature and low coolant alarm' sticky at the top of the forum.
I've covered all the alarms that I'm aware of. Please let me know if there are any more.
I've also included this 'TM2 tabulated readings' discussion... When the readings are complete, I guess you'll be making a factsheet? If so, I can add a factsheet link later.
We have 'how to fit' factsheets and 'reviews' for a couple of the alarms. If anyone would like to do a factsheet or review for any of the other alarms, please let Ian know. I can add links to them later also.

Neat job - well done =D>

If a supplier is happy to supply me with a device for review, I'll review it :lol:
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:49 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Doone wrote:I've put a 'Temperature and low coolant alarm' sticky at the top of the forum.

Neat job - well done =D>

If a supplier is happy to supply me with a device for review, I'll review it :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-# :-# ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 pm

I've had a TM2 for about 2 years now. I have posted up about temperatures before, including how a duff alternator made my Mason temp gauge indicate higher temps and fluctuated quite a bit too along with a higher TM2 reading.

My gauge currently sits around 86 - 88 on normal A road - but devon hilly driving. Will rise to 94/96 on motoways and long inclines. I've located it as per Haydn's advice - 2nd bolt down at back of block.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:12 pm

Lewy wrote:I've had a TM2 for about 2 years now. I have posted up about temperatures before, including how a duff alternator made my Mason temp gauge indicate higher temps and fluctuated quite a bit too along with a higher TM2 reading.

My gauge currently sits around 86 - 88 on normal A road - but devon hilly driving. Will rise to 94/96 on motoways and long inclines. I've located it as per Haydn's advice - 2nd bolt down at back of block.
Cheers Lewy - added to database.
Last edited by widdowson2008 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 pm

How many times do I have to post that ....If the TM-2 sensor is placed as per instructions on a 2.5lt TD Bongo...expect your readings (if your cooling system is in good condition) to be between 85/95C...if you are towing then 90/105C....it all depends on driving style and engine condition.
The TM-2 is produced by engine watchdog in Oz...there are half a dozen bongo's in Oz....they sell them to go in every vehicle you can think of and boats etc....how can they be expected to produce a sensor fitting position and temp range for EVERY vehicle/boat or what have you?
So it is up to the Bongo owners (if they wish) to work this out for themselves......I have posted many times what I believe is "normal"
I spend most of each day now answering "help" phone calls from Bongo owners who are stuck with some problem or other....This is all done willingly but is very time consuming......
I make £10 out of each TM-2 sold so hardly a fortune......one of the remarks above about "if I get a free one".If I remember right you were in fact offered exactly that a year or so ago. I have given loads of all my items away over the past 3 years.
At the end of the day, if you want one (or anything else) from me...then fine....at least they are available within 24 hours at a better price than you could get anywhere else in the world.

There is at the moment research ongoing to get some temp results (I have sent all sorts of Bits & Bobs) to help with this....But when the results are published they will only be a guide as all Bongo's/drivers are different.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:33 pm

haydn callow wrote:
There is at the moment research ongoing to get some temp results (I have sent all sorts of Bits & Bobs) to help with this....But when the results are published they will only be a guide as all Bongo's/drivers are different.
Yep - this particular Bongo has had a complete cooling system refurb with original Mazda parts where possible to make it as near to original spec as possible. The object of the excercise is not so much to get temperature readings as to establish precisely what happens inside the pipework (without actually getting inside the pipes). The results should indicate what works and when - particularly the stat.
Steve
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Ok, I'm entering the 'debate'

I've just fitted a TM2 to protect the substantial sum I spent last year. All fitted as per instructions and the temp reading at the rear of the head is 86 degrees. The Mason alarm shows 12.30 to 1.00pm and the LCA weren't bleeping [-o< . The temp reading is consistent with a thermocouple K Type temp gauge that I had used previously.

The bongo has a new head, Rad and hoses. It's recently been checked and tested by Ian Taylors mechanic and pasted muster.

I will now use my TM2 to MONITOR temperature.

PS Advice to anyone reading this with a recently purchased bongo and no temperature protection:

GET SOMETHING FITTED
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:21 pm

The data so far is taking on a pattern. It will be interesting to compare this data with the heat tests.
Keep 'em coming.
Steve
Stew71
Bongonaut
Location: Portsmouth - proud home of the southernmost motorway in the UK. And some ships.

Post by Stew71 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 pm

We've had ours for about a year, on a 1997 2.5D. It's fitted to the lumpy bit behind the handbrake (!) - can't remember which spare bolt-hole it went to (checking will give me another reason to undo it and re-route the cable for neatness' sake).

Usually it runs between 92-95, like Radio 4, but will climb to 99-100 under a very heavy load (eg running up a steep field full of camping gear). Most of our running is urban and motorways.

These figures are about 5deg lower than they were before we had a new radiator, thermostat etc fitted in September last year.

Back in the cold and snow of the winter I was concerned that in the event of a summer to speak of, the ambient temperature might make the engine temperature rise - but in practice it seems to make little perceptible difference.

Also, the low coolant alarm went off a couple of times several months back - but I figured out that this was a function of very low temperatures and speedy cornering on a roundabout! A heart-in-the-mouth moment (I was 400 miles from home at the time), but at least in showed that it does the job.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:43 pm

As this thread has kicked back into life, I thought I'd show you what we have been doing.
Initially, we started taking data samples base on distance (km). This gave us an overall picture of what was happening. The troughs are where it was parked.

Full data set

The system started to fall into a regular predictable pattern, so what we did was to fine tune the sample frequency so that we could see what was happening in specific areas such as the 'warm up' period and the normal running period (after warm up)
The system settles down when the head return is at 90C and the heater return 65C (the heater supply is ALWAYS a few degrees less than the return.

There are small anomalies where the system deviates from a rigid pattern, and these happen when there is a change in ambient temperature, and surprisingly, humidity. Hill climbs also show up very clearly.
The tests will continue until a definitive statement can be made as to precisely which element is the 'controler.
The TM-2 data being shared by members on this thread seem to be falling into the same ranges as the graph - very pleasing. :P

Localised data set
Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”