Removal of Front Manual Heater Control

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

SPARKYSSS

Removal of Front Manual Heater Control

Post by SPARKYSSS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi there.

Wonder if anyone can help me out please? The bulbs behind my heater are not working so i guess i need to remove the front heater panel. Its the manual sliding sort. I have got my hands on 2 radio removal keys but the unit only slides out to a couple of cms - no where near enough space for me to get my monkey fingers in and take a look around????

Any tips or advice please
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Removal of Front Manual Heater Control

Post by Doone » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:33 pm

THIS LINK explains how to remove the radio, I hope it helps.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Pop out the radio, and the glovebox. You can then get your left arm "right up the back" as it were.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:37 pm

And I just spotted THIS POST which may help with the bulbs.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Doone wrote:And I just spotted THIS POST which may help with the bulbs.
Yep that post is fine... :D ...but removal of the glovebox gives a little more room to assist easing forward the unit plus cables.......
The key really is to "unhook" the cables...... and my tip (in the post) is to replace all the bulbs while the unit is out....might as well as all the bulbs will be the same age then... :wink: and you probably wont have to worry again
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
SPARKYSSS

Post by SPARKYSSS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks so much for all the help (knew i could count on you guys). Strange you speak of "cable" as i did feel some cable type resistance when trying to pull the unit out.

I will give this a crack tomorrow after i have purchased the bulbs. May even take some pics to assist people that have similar problems in the future

Thanks again

marc
=D> =D> =D> =D>
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 pm

Maybe DBO will spot this thread... I remember lending him a couple of ford stereo removal keys so he could replace a bulb in his front heater unit. As far as i 'm aware they did the trick... :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
SPARKYSSS

Post by SPARKYSSS » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 am

Morning

I have had a quick look for these cables this morning but cant actually see what i am looking for?????

Any chance someone can post some pics up for this thickie please?? :oops: :oops:
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:59 am

There is one under the bonnet on the side of the air intake for the heater, and one under & at either side of the central console
Black cables with rings at the end of the cables.....kept in place by clips.....
"unhook" the clip and the cable ends come away from the heater levers........(note that the plastic sheath will be marked by the clip so then you will be able to locate the cables at the former setting when refitting)...... then once the cables are detached the former method using the radio keys to disconnect the controls then a gentle push from behind the unit will ease it forward.......

Image found this pic that shows the cable at the pitcure left side .......white coloured actuator for the heater flaps (ignore the red square as that is not what your looking at)

SPARKYSSS

Post by SPARKYSSS » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Just taken a few minutes away from my desk and been out to take a look at this little job. Thanks to all your information the heater control is now hanging out the dash and waiting for the new bulbs. I will finish this job when i leave the office tonight.

Thanks again

marc
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 am

Bit like the cows tail........all behind...... But from "Shovelhead" in Japan.............

Heater control Illumination excuse the google translation and it might be useful for the future..... :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”