Aaargh, I think I've slaughtered my LB!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TerryG
Bongolier

Re: Aaargh, I think I've slaughtered my LB!

Post by TerryG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:04 am

Well I've trickle charged it over a couple of days so as not to frighten it too much and it is now at 12.64 V - it will be interesting to see if it holds the charge. Thanks for the advice folks
'Enjoy every sandwich'
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:16 am

lpgimports wrote:All more or less true... but once as long as the plates have not buckled by having a huge jump start or battery charge with an unsuitable charger and they have just sulphated up, then they can be recovered to a large part of their original state by using a pulse charger or de-sulphation charger.

Paul
LBs are designed to be able to do starting, many boats do this all the time so jump starting with your LB is unlikely to do any harm. The real problem is they do not delivery the amps like a starting battery so are not as good with the difficult starter. Equally LBs can in most cases take quite big charging currents after all your alternator will chuck out some 50 amps for a bit and once again the LB will absorb that although it would not like it for too long. Therer are quite a few smart alternator controllers (they nmake your alternator work like a smart chaerger) which will considerably extend the period the alternator gives it's rated output tpo get the bulk charge into the battery fast.

Deep cycle batteries are different and are built to only give a steady output and be discharged below 50% on a regular basis
White diesel Bongo
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:20 am

TerryG wrote:Well I've trickle charged it over a couple of days so as not to frighten it too much and it is now at 12.64 V - it will be interesting to see if it holds the charge. Thanks for the advice folks
To be honest if it is just a tricle charger I would leave it on charge for a week at least two weeks if it is rated at less than 1 amp, but you should be OK as long as you don't make a habit of it.

It may be worth investing in a Ring smart charger (try Ebay) they came out top in a yachtie magazine test for both effectiveness and cost
White diesel Bongo
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:35 pm

I've never ever had a battery, leisure or starter, sealed or vented, that has made a worthwhile recovery after getting to the point of not holding a charge.

I am the world's greatest battery optimist but know in my heart of hearts that replacing them is the only worthwhile option.

Why waste fuel lugging an inefficient weight around? Why give house room to an iffy battery that will stink of sulphur when you try charging it?

I've got one like that at the moment and it's just wasting my time and electricity!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:10 pm

lpgimports wrote:All more or less true... but once as long as the plates have not buckled by having a huge jump start or battery charge with an unsuitable charger and they have just sulphated up, then they can be recovered to a large part of their original state by using a pulse charger or de-sulphation charger.

Paul
Yes I'd guessed they could be de-sulphated - if only an ordinary pauper like me had one of those thingamebobs :-(

Return to “Techie Stuff”