Heater control not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

M&K
Junior Bongonaut

Heater control not working

Post by M&K » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi folks, looking for advice regarding the front fan heater which has stopped working, I've taken the fan motor ( which when exposed I was unable to turn ) out, cleaned it, lubricated it and although it lookes in poor condition reinstalled it but to no effect,
having put a voltage meter across the heater connector I do not see a voltage when the fan is turned on, I have checked the fuses according to the Bongo fact sheet and all appear ok, I have read about the fan speed resistors but am unable to locate them.
Could this fan speed resistor be the cause of the problem or are there other components involved, where do I locate these components and if required can they be replaced ( fan motor also )?

Many thanks.

Mike.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: Heater control not working

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 pm

The resistor is under the bonnet of the bongo, directly in the centre under the drain hole, (if the drain hole is blocked this can cause water to get into the resistor which then can cause problems)
The resistor is under a black plastic cover.you may have to re solder the contacts in the resistor by taking it apart. It will be obvious which contacts need soldering when you take it apart.
Or buy a new one for about £50. There are different versions for climate control.
Resistor cover
Resistor taken apart
Contacts on side of resistor to be soldered back if they have come off.
Lost without my Bongo.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:12 pm

If the motor was seized then the resistors (assuming your using a manual air con?) in-built fuse will have blown, if your on a Digital Air. Con then the transistor may have blown its in the same place as the resistors in the manual type. There is a Factsheetavailable from the club site above.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
M&K
Junior Bongonaut

Post by M&K » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 am

Many thanks for the information, as I stated the motor is in a sorry state ( the carbon brush springs are broken ) and a new one via Bongo discount parts is £175, can I ask if any of you are you aware of a less expensive outlet for these items?

Regards,
Mike.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:11 pm

The Carbon Brushes can be replaced quite easily see http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=43631, otherwise the only sources cheaper will be breakers yards or someone breaking there Bongo see the Topic for possibilities doesn't look like any owners are breaking at the moment however, but there is a list of likely breakers in there from Ian.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”