Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

llitvack
Bongolier

Front heater linkages

Post by llitvack » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi folks.

This follows on from a previous thread from 2008:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=24158

I have a manual heater, and I find that I can change the air flow direction from windscreen (extreme right) to the upper vents (extreme left), but not back again.

The lushprojects diagram can be viewed at

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

I understand this has to do with the heater linkages, and the rods attached to the white plastic disc (or cam). Mine looks like this:

In the Lushprojects diagram, it looks like I am missing the rod which goes from the disk to 61-A70, as well as the little grey box (61-A70) itself. Is this correct, or is this for the digital model (mine is a manual heater)?
And does anyone know what 61-A70 does? I presume it's fixed on with two diagonally opposed screws. It looks like it's a motorised lever, which rotates the white disk. On my Bongo this is where 61-A70 should go (note the two buttons and two holes, forming a square in the plastic moulding):

If you look at the first photo in http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=24158 you will see the 61-A70 box, and the linkage, are place on Missfixit70's Bongo:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58 ... C00329.jpg

but it's missing on mine.

I can see how the flexible steel cable (attached to the 'mode' lever on the manual heater control panel) pulls the white plastic disk, thus turning it clockwise when the lever is moved from right to left; but how is it moved back again? This back again movement (to demist the front window) is what my control will not do. It seems to be controlled by a linkage, which manipulates the white disk so that it turns anticlockwise. Is that linkage attached to 61-A70?

It is possible to turn the disk (cam) by hand, but that's not a permanent solution!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers from Leon
llitvack
Bongolier

Re: Front heater linkages

Post by llitvack » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:06 pm

REVISED POST:

Hi folks.

This follows on from a previous thread from 2008:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=24158

I have a manual heater, and I find that I can change the air flow direction from windscreen (extreme right) to the upper vents (extreme left), but not back again.

The lushprojects diagram can be viewed at

I understand this has to do with the heater linkages, and the rods attached to the white plastic disc (or cam). Mine looks like this:

IWhen comparing mine to the Lushprojects diagram, I see I don't have actuator (61-A70), which is only for the digital model (mine is a manual heater):
The actuator goes fits on the two buttons and two holes, forming a square in the plastic moulding):

I can see how the flexible steel cable (attached to the 'mode' lever on the manual heater control panel) pulls the white plastic disk, thus turning it clockwise when the lever is moved from right to left; but is this cable supposed to push it back again on the manual heater? This back again movement (to demist the front window) is what my control will not do. It seems that the cable is not sufficiently robust to do this.

It is possible to turn the disk (cam) by hand, but that's not a permanent solution!

Would a new steel cable help? See part 61-C35 on Lushprojects:

Also, I don't suppose it's possible to convert a manual heating system to digital??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers from Leon
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:53 pm

ive got one of each manual and digital leon, if i get time tomorrow i will have a look for you mate.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Probably do-able to upgrade from manual controls with a donor vehicle, but you'd need all the wiring looms plus the digital A/C uses a transistor pack rather than a resistor pack.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:25 pm

all your pics leon look right,nothing looks like its missing or bent etc.
i checked mine tonight, mine works ok with the same bits in your pics. maybe something is broken at the control end ??.

in your second picture there is a little bar, going left from the rotating disc, is this moving, as it controls the direction flap ?.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html.

the link above shows the control system on the manual (bottom left) and the digital (bottom right). looks like the servo would fit in ok, but as simon says its a little bit more involved than that. #-o .

hope this helps.
llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Ady.

The problem seems to be in the way the steel cable pushes (rather than pulls) through its housing. It essentially works like a brake cable on a bike, yes? The cable moves, while the housing stays stationary.

Perhaps the cable needs to be lubricated; I'll check tomorrow how it moves through the housing.

Good wishes from Leon
llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Okay -- I'm now at the stage of trying to get the manual heater control panel out of the dash.

After popping the unit using the four car stereo holes, the unit won't come away easily. This seems to be because of the three cables holding it in: 61-C35, 61-C25, and 61-C45 (see Lushprojects diagram).

Do I need to unhook the cables from the unit before lifting it out? Any suggestions about how to do this easily please?

I can unhook the air direction (mode) cable (61-C35) from the white disk/Cam at the bottom end; but it seems it would be easiest to disconnect the other two at the rear of the control unit; but they are difficult to get at!

Here are some relevant photos from my van; the photos of the area behind the controls are of the LEFT side, where two of the cables (temp and recirculating air) are connected. The 'mode' cable for air direction goes forward and down from the back of the unit. I have disconnect this cable from the white disk/cam, but it still won't come out!

llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:48 am

I wonder if I should also lubricate all the pivots for the flaps which direct the air flow in various directions? This might well take the strain off that cable, allowing it to travel more freely? If I remove the white disk/cam by unscrewing it, would I have easy access to them?
Thanks in advance.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:59 am

llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Aha! fount the culprit: 61-C35!

The cable was twisted back on itself, and frayed, so it could not travel the required length to open up the requisite damper!

I used the opportunity to lubricate all of the pivots, so they now move more freely!

BTW, to release the heater control panel, you need to detach the three cables: one under the bonnet, one in the passenger footwell, and the third (the culprit) in the driver footwell. Then the control panel comes away easily!

Now all I need is a new cable!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Could you utilise a solder less nipple available from any push bike shop ..??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I suppose that I could cut off the existing nipple and use a solderless one, clamped above the hole in the lever; is that what you meant?

But then the cable end wouldn't bend at right angles like the original Bongo one. The advantage of the original is that it offers a straight line for the cable to push and pull cleanly, and with least resistance, through the housing.

I the other hand...

If you used something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/32086236 ... 80&ff14=83

with the screw passing through the hole at the end of the lever, and the barrel below the hole, and cable clamped perpendicular to the direction of travel of the screw in the nipple, then the forces would be pushing in the right direction, yes?

Anyway, I think I might have a handle on an original Bongo replacement cable.

Cheers from Leon
llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Sorry: I now DON'T have a source for this cable.
If anyone has a spare I would be happy to pay for it!

Return to “Techie Stuff”