Is it safe to flat tow a Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bob uk
Bongonaut

Is it safe to flat tow a Bongo

Post by bob uk » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Guys
I don’t need to tow my Bongo anywhere at the moment but for future reference does anyone know the rules on towing a 2 wheel drive auto box 2.5 diesel Bongo?
I know with a lot of auto boxes the rule of thumb is 30 miles max speed 30 MPH but I have no idea what it is for the Bongo
Thanks for your help
Bob
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Is it safe to flat tow a Bongo

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:16 pm

bob uk wrote:Hi Guys
I don’t need to tow my Bongo anywhere at the moment but for future reference does anyone know the rules on towing a 2 wheel drive auto box 2.5 diesel Bongo?
I know with a lot of auto boxes the rule of thumb is 30 miles max speed 30 MPH but I have no idea what it is for the Bongo
Thanks for your help
Bob
I think its generally regarded (when its been discussed on here) that its best to be safe and not to tow an automatic drive Bongo at all with any driving wheels being in contact with the road. I'm always a bit puzzled by that as there is a Neutral position on the autobox and its clear that the Bongo coasts quite freely with the box in Neutral. But I'm no mechanic so I do what I'm told! I doubt a 2WD Bongo would be happy being towed with only its front wheels on the ground either. Have a search of old posts as I think one or two techie people did hint that short distances at slow speeds might be OK.

Mike
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi
It actually says in the owners handbook that it's O.K. to tow for a VERY short distance below a given speed...I'd say below 10 MPH and a mile or two...NO more
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Without the engine running .. It's a hard towing any two ton motor as you will have no power steering or power assisted brakes ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:30 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:I'm always a bit puzzled by that as there is a Neutral position on the autobox and its clear that the Bongo coasts quite freely with the box in Neutral.
The engine running circulates the oil in the box.

Towing with the engine stopped, the output part of the box is whirling around with no oil flow. Hence, VERY slow, and a VERY short distance.

A spectacle lift under the rear wheels on a 2WD Bongo, towed backwards, would be OK - just make sure the steering lock is on!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:38 am

Be leave it also say if towing for a short distance put an extra litre of oil in the auto box
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:55 am

Take the prop shaft/s off and you can tow it till the cows come home.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:57 am

dave_aber wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I'm always a bit puzzled by that as there is a Neutral position on the autobox and its clear that the Bongo coasts quite freely with the box in Neutral.
The engine running circulates the oil in the box.

Towing with the engine stopped, the output part of the box is whirling around with no oil flow. Hence, VERY slow, and a VERY short distance.

A spectacle lift under the rear wheels on a 2WD Bongo, towed backwards, would be OK - just make sure the steering lock is on!
Aha! Got that. Thanks for the explanation Dave. Interesting what Gasy says about putting in extra ATF. Better carry some of that with me, and a spectacle tow thingie......Just in case :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:02 am

rita wrote:Take the prop shaft/s off and you can tow it till the cows come home.
Indeed. Is the average recovery vehicle driver going to entertain doing that though? If so then this debate is purely academic but......
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:08 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
rita wrote:Take the prop shaft/s off and you can tow it till the cows come home.
Indeed. Is the average recovery vehicle driver going to entertain doing that though? If so then this debate is purely academic but......

Your confusing me now, if its a Recovery Vehicle that is to be used the Recovery VEHICLE will Recover the Vehicle.

Hence the name "RECOVERY VEHICLE"
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:04 am

Hi
I just checked Page 170 in the owners manual...you can tow it, but BELOW 30 KPH. . Long distances are obviously not advisable. Nothing about adding oil, and the obvious warning about brakes/ steering. I'd say keep well below 30 KPH
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:37 pm

rita wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

Your confusing me now, if its a Recovery Vehicle that is to be used the Recovery VEHICLE will Recover the Vehicle.

Hence the name "RECOVERY VEHICLE"
Yes but who will unbolt the propshaft if it's to be towed. I'm not sure the recovery vehicle DRIVER will be willing to do that?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 pm

If you explain to the recovery company that it's auto or 4WD they would probably send a flat bed truck rather than risk the chance of damaging the transmission.
bob uk
Bongonaut

Post by bob uk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks for the information folks
I think I will go with Okay to flat tow for a mile or so at low speed but any further and its prop shaft off or rear lift
Lets hope I never have to do it :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Had to have mine taken to ADS (about 10 miles) a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how economic a flat bed recovery was. £65 plus VAT.

Well happy with that.

Return to “Techie Stuff”