HELP: Central locking playing up

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Re: HELP: Central locking playing up

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Have you checked the wiring in the door hinges?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:40 pm

sotal wrote:Have you checked the wiring in the door hinges?
Good question and no I haven't as I don't have time or inclination to go down that fiddly road. I'm thinking that if one wire is getting tired, others may follow before long so might be worth treating the old girl to a new set of wires. :roll:
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:27 pm

We are having a similar problem with our van. When the doors are locked or unlocked using the fob or by depressing the drivers lock plunger, all doors rapidly lock and unlock for about 30 seconds. This also happens on occasion when driving on bumpy roads. We have an aftermarket alarm linked to the central locking but I am looking at a possible wiring fault as moving the wiring at the drivers lock assembly produces similar symptoms.
1998 green and silver V6 called 'Blossom'
2004 white 2 litre tin top called Buzz.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 am

Can anyone help with thoughts here:

Rather than faff around, i treated myself to a new door wiring loom to cure the central locking glitches and all appeared fine (though it had been most of the time with the old loom). But a few months on the problem is back and might now be persistent. The central locking will lock all doors but won't open them except for the drivers door.

But there is a clue. If i sit in the drivers seat and lift the locking lever, I can hear a faint click that seems to be coming from underneath the dashboard, i think over towards the glovebox side (i need a 2nd person to pinpoint it as i'm stuck in the drivers seat operating the lever).

Can anyone think what might be clicking? Is there a relay around there that forms part of the central locking? It certainly seems to me the problem is not with the master lock or with the wiring harness. And yet it is affecting all the non-master doors. I'd welcome any thoughts and thanks as ever.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:12 pm

Yes the drivers door operates the rest of the Bongo's doors, when you manually operate the lock then you send a signal to the central locking module down behind the passenger glove box to control the other doors, thats the relay you hear clicking.
When you operate the Fob to open the doors it actually directly only opens the drivers door, that then sends the signal to operate the others. It sounds like you still have a problem with the switch or wiring from the door to the module;
The switch in the door is K2-01, this has two wires to the control module behind the glove box;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:07 pm

g8dhe wrote:Yes the drivers door operates the rest of the Bongo's doors, when you manually operate the lock then you send a signal to the central locking module down behind the passenger glove box to control the other doors, thats the relay you hear clicking.
When you operate the Fob to open the doors it actually directly only opens the drivers door, that then sends the signal to operate the others. It sounds like you still have a problem with the switch or wiring from the door to the module;
The switch in the door is K2-01, this has two wires to the control module behind the glove box;
Brilliant Geoff and thanks++. It sounds like the control module could need investigating. I'll go on the trail :-)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:12 pm

Hope you get it sussed Mike, plenty of central locking issues cropping up over the last few months. It seems to be a fault that starts intermittent and lingers for months in various guises before you have to tackle it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:09 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Hope you get it sussed Mike, plenty of central locking issues cropping up over the last few months. It seems to be a fault that starts intermittent and lingers for months in various guises before you have to tackle it.
Will keep you posted. Just need time to get a round tuit :roll: :lol:

It occurs to me that an over full glovebox could be contributing hmmm
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:45 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Hope you get it sussed Mike, plenty of central locking issues cropping up over the last few months. It seems to be a fault that starts intermittent and lingers for months in various guises before you have to tackle it.
Well, with BIG thanks to Geoff, the problem was located very quickly. The whitish coloured module behind the glovebox in the (click to enlarge) picture below is the unit in question. If I wiggled the connector block out a bit everything started working. If I pushed the connector fully back in, the unlock stopped working and all I could hear was a faint click. I tried some Comma contact cleaner on it but no dice. So I've fudged it for now by leaving the connector slightly pulled out, and I'll get back to it properly in the fullness when I have more time (hah!) as at least the problem has been pinpointed. I guess a bit of connector pin bending in the male part of the connector will be my first gambit but I'd welcome other suggestions.

And it only cost me a new wiring loom I didn't need ha ha. But I don't really care as I reason that sooner or later an old Bongo will need a new loom and so at least I'm ahead of the game.

I've now had several incidences of old electric connections going a bit dicey. Clearly its something an old Bongo is going to start throwing up. But its been reassuring how the problem is usually traced without much trouble and (so far at least) not been tricky or expensive to remedy.

Return to “Techie Stuff”