Rear heater bypass advice please.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tris
Junior Bongonaut

Rear heater bypass advice please.

Post by Tris » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Hoping someone can give me some advice, the long metal pipe on the drivers side has corroded (leaking) at the rear T joint so as a temporary fix I am trying to bypass the rear heater.
Current thinking is: blank the rubber pipe from the heater to the leaking pipe.
Blank the rubber pipe on the end of the metal pipe under the passenger side.
Blank the rubber pipe from the engine block to the drivers side metal pipe.

Can anyone see if this would cause problems, or an easier way to do it?

We are due to go to North Wales next week so really don't want the Bongo to overheat or dump its coolant halfway up a mountain.

Thanks
Tris
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Rear heater bypass advice please.

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:12 pm

think of it as 2 circuits, you will probably wish to keep the front heater working, the supply is from over the starter motor wiggly pipe (drivers side) from the engine, the front heater goes forward on that leaking pipe, through the front heater unit then back down the passy side long steel pipe, it T off to the stat housing but dont worry about that, follow it straight on across the top of the gearbox to the rear heater unit, i would link the return from the nearside pipe to the good side of the leaking T piece.

or have a look at this temp bodge i did for someone.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =0#p571797
Tris
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tris » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for the info, I started chasing back along the metal pipe to find some sound metal and ended up about half way along :shock:

Have ordered a new pipe which should be here on Tuesday, if the refit goes smoothly we should still be on for Wales.

Any tips on feeding the pipe would be very welcome.

Regards,
Tris
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:13 pm

i lifted the front of the bongo up as you have to try to sort of screw the pipe into the gaps where the old one was, maybe put a piece of string where the old one was so that you know the path to thread it through, sounds silly but it will work.
dont try to undo many of the thick black air pipes as they are held on with little rubber bobin bolts that snap when you twist em.

good luck, its not that bad really.

Return to “Techie Stuff”