Any views on buying a narrowboat

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Any views on buying a narrowboat

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 am

Slightly off topic, but a pal of mine saved for years to buy a large motor home on retirement.

£120,000 More than 10 years ago with 3 fixed double beds, we asked why since it was just the two of them... For when the grandchildren come on holiday with us.

Guess how many times that has happened... Yep - zero, and it hardly ever gets used due to size, thirst, many sites won't take it, difficult to get in and out of storage...

It would have been cheaper and more practical to book a hotel with the family once a year and have a 2 berth camper which got used. :?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:20 pm

Bob wrote:Slightly off topic, but a pal of mine saved for years to buy a large motor home on retirement.

£120,000 More than 10 years ago with 3 fixed double beds, we asked why since it was just the two of them... For when the grandchildren come on holiday with us.

Guess how many times that has happened... Yep - zero, and it hardly ever gets used due to size, thirst, many sites won't take it, difficult to get in and out of storage...

It would have been cheaper and more practical to book a hotel with the family once a year and have a 2 berth camper which got used. :?
I'd long suspected many motorhomes were the result of a pension age crisis running into snares set by the dream sellers. I suppose economies turn on trade like this, and for some that motorhome was exactly the right thing to do, but i'll bet the most happy purchasers had tried it before and/or given it a lot of thought before jumping in. A hasty pension-potter and his money are soon parted, to adapt the old adage. Sometimes however, i think you have to try something and accept that only time will tell if it was a mistake (marriage for example ha ha). When that happens, you dust yourself down and remind yourself it was better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. As Mark Twain wrote (and Bob has similar as his strapline):

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Seems appropriate for this thread. Then again, some of the things some people do risk foreshortening their lives. Acting in haste is one of them. So there's a conundrum for you. ;-)

I do love a good ramble. We were talking about narrowboats weren't we? Oh and don't leave the safe harbour in a narrowboat when the trade winds blow as it will quickly sink. :lol: :oops: 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Some years ago I Set off from the safe port of Sharpness in my pal's narrow boat for our home port of Bristol.

No problems but there's a tale for the camp fire. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Bob wrote:Some years ago I Set off from the safe port of Sharpness in my pal's narrow boat for our home port of Bristol.

No problems but there's a tale for the camp fire. :D
Fabulous and oh yes you can do it, provided you've the experience and the sea is calm (and with a current not exceeding the 6 knots or so that NB propulsion maxes out at). But for the unwary, if the trade winds are blowing....
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:01 pm

A narrow boat won't hold against the tide round here, it can run 12 knots through the Shoots. Thames Lightermen were real experts at moving unpowered craft using just the tide. :)

The biggest problem people have with that journey, especially going north, is leaving early and not being able to get into port due to low water and can't hold against it. :shock:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Taking £60k of sink-like-a-stone flat bottomed narrowboat across open waters is emphatically not a job for the faint hearted!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:19 pm

It isn't mine. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Bob wrote:It isn't mine. 8)
You're right Bob but you're assuming you must be worthless since you were on it [-X :lol:

Googled a NB sinking fatality caught on camera - jeebers it went down quick. The guy who died rescued his mum and dog before going back in to rescue cash :-(
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:51 pm

I saw that,just awful, but to go back into a sinking boat to get cash, which would still have been there anyhow... :?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Bob wrote:I saw that,just awful, but to go back into a sinking boat to get cash, which would still have been there anyhow... :?
I know - truly tragic. It did get me thinking though how poor several tons of ballasted bouyancy bag free flat bottomed would be at surviving the sea coming over the gunwhales. It would vanish very quickly.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:47 pm

It would indeed, we did have to wait a couple of weeks for good weather.

The old adage, "Better down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here", applies to boating as well. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Bob wrote:The old adage, "Better down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here", applies to boating as well. :wink:
Just need to modify the wording a bit if talking about boating, so you're not wishing you'd sink :shock: #-o :lol:
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:41 am

Hi,

I seem to remember hearing and seeing something about an NB being recovered. It is a sad fact of life and very tragic that every year there are fatalities around our coasts and on our inland waterways. However, many of the incidents are avoidable if people obeyed some common sense rules and stopped treating water as a friend. I used to know a guy who was on Sea Kings at Culdrose and you would not believe some of the stories he told me after a few pints of Guinness of people floating out to sea on inflated condoms with no safety equipment whatsoever. Another really sensible bloke I knew was crew on the Brixham lifeboat and though he didn't talk too much about what he did, he made his feelings known.

I've mentioned South Devon Watersports before. One of the members there owned a Huntress, which is how I know what a beautiful soft rider they are. The Huntress was used as a marshalling boat at the Torquay end of the Cowes - Torquay race and one year (around '81) I got VERY lucky. The course came in quite close to Torquay, there was a very sharp turn to starboard before heading out to open water. Our job consisted largely of keeping the course clear of idiots in their dinghies and ski boats and one ski boat was being a very persistant pillock. We could hear the competitors coming as they rounded Berry Head (Brixham, about 4 miles away) and we would chase them off the harbour buoy, they would pop up somewhere else equally dangerous. Contents of said boat - a 14ft Shakey - consisted of two blokes, 2 dolly birds. No lifejackets.
One of the first of the competitors came through. Apache, and I remember it as if it was in slow motion and everybody who saw it was certain it was deliberate. The target Shakespeare was maybe 50 -60ft away from the buoy, Apache did a tight turn round the buoy with the nose well up, then hit the throttles & the trim. The contents of the Shakey suddenly became very much wetter.
It was not until some time later that we found out who the owner of the Shakespeare was - a certain well known comedian who was doing a summer season in Torquay and making himself and his bodyguards unpopular in most of the local nightclubs and with many of the local girls. Rumour has it that he wrote the Shakey off. I know he used to park his Roller, top down, outside the front door of my local club and people used to spit in it.

Sorry everybody - woffling again. "er in drawers bought me a bottle of Scotch as a reward for finishing decorating the lounge (OK, it a very big room) and I had to to test it!

Cheers

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:37 am

Amazing the tales you gather on here. I've now got visions of taking an incorrect turn in me narrowboat and ending up alone and dollybirdless in Brixham harbour in the middle of a powerboat race :shock: :lol:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:50 am

BigPanzer wrote:Hi,

I seem to remember hearing and seeing something about an NB being recovered. It is a sad fact of life and very tragic that every year there are fatalities around our coasts and on our inland waterways. However, many of the incidents are avoidable if people obeyed some common sense rules and stopped treating water as a friend. I used to know a guy who was on Sea Kings at Culdrose and you would not believe some of the stories he told me after a few pints of Guinness of people floating out to sea on inflated condoms with no safety equipment whatsoever. Another really sensible bloke I knew was crew on the Brixham lifeboat and though he didn't talk too much about what he did, he made his feelings known.

I've mentioned South Devon Watersports before. One of the members there owned a Huntress, which is how I know what a beautiful soft rider they are. The Huntress was used as a marshalling boat at the Torquay end of the Cowes - Torquay race and one year (around '81) I got VERY lucky. The course came in quite close to Torquay, there was a very sharp turn to starboard before heading out to open water. Our job consisted largely of keeping the course clear of idiots in their dinghies and ski boats and one ski boat was being a very persistant pillock. We could hear the competitors coming as they rounded Berry Head (Brixham, about 4 miles away) and we would chase them off the harbour buoy, they would pop up somewhere else equally dangerous. Contents of said boat - a 14ft Shakey - consisted of two blokes, 2 dolly birds. No lifejackets.
One of the first of the competitors came through. Apache, and I remember it as if it was in slow motion and everybody who saw it was certain it was deliberate. The target Shakespeare was maybe 50 -60ft away from the buoy, Apache did a tight turn round the buoy with the nose well up, then hit the throttles & the trim. The contents of the Shakey suddenly became very much wetter.
It was not until some time later that we found out who the owner of the Shakespeare was - a certain well known comedian who was doing a summer season in Torquay and making himself and his bodyguards unpopular in most of the local nightclubs and with many of the local girls. Rumour has it that he wrote the Shakey off. I know he used to park his Roller, top down, outside the front door of my local club and people used to spit in it.

Sorry everybody - woffling again. "er in drawers bought me a bottle of Scotch as a reward for finishing decorating the lounge (OK, it a very big room) and I had to to test it!

Cheers

Peter
I do that too, not the decorating, the Scotch bit, been a test pilot for Whyte & Mackay for many years not found a bad one yet
:)

Return to “Off Message”