Cambelt cost ***DON'T DELETE***

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

saffie

Cambelt cost ***DON'T DELETE***

Post by saffie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:34 pm

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a bongo, it's done 68,000 miles, looks immaculate. I was just wondering how much does a cambelt cost to replace ( labour etc) and when does it need doing.
Due to the mileage is that reasonable or should various things have already been done to the vehicle ie the cambelt. All advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mel :D
Athers

Post by Athers » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Not a lot!!!

The belt isn't much (check AVA or the website) and allow about 2 hours labour!

Regards

Athers
Chris P

Post by Chris P » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:58 pm

I just had my cambelt done at about 100K miles. Didn't have any info whether it had been done on not, so it seemed safer.

I bought the belt from Bongo-fury. It came with a useful set of instructions which I gave to my helpful garage as I know my limitations.

They had no real problems but took 3 hours rather than two. Maybe it gets easier when you've done a couple...

Cheers

Chris
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:49 am

The recommended replacement time is every 60,000miles. As the engine is an 'interference type', considerable damage might occur if the belt snapped. You should also consider the service history of the vehicle (when was the belt last replaced) and whether the vehicle has had hard use.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:44 pm

Saffie,
Do it NOW!. You would be very lucky if you had ANY service history, (Can you read japanese? :wink: )
You have a choice, as Doone says. either spend a £100-ish or run the risk of having the Bongo off the road for some time and at considerable cost.
Best guess in broken belt scenario is at least 4 bent valves, requiring removing cylinder head and replacing valves. worst is any number of valves and maybe even a piston or two.
DON'T RISK IT!.
It is my 'umble opinion that everyone should change the cam belt asap after purchase. 'Justin Case'. :wink:
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:16 pm

Saffie,
Is it a private sale or dealer?

If You are buying it from a dealer use the cambelt as a bargaining tool ie try and get them to do it as part of the purchase deal.
Never know could save you some hassle and extra outlay after the initial purchase.But if they will, make sure its in writing somewhere.
I always try to get something as part of any negotiations on vehicles.The usual ones being mats,full tank fuel,mud flaps You know the things.I have even got upgraded H Fi at times just by pushing it and looking like You are going to walk away.If they want You to buy its amazing what You can acheive "If You ask"!

Good Luck Dave
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!

Return to “Techie Stuff”