Leisure Battery, split charge relay advice please...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

georgey
Bongonaut

Leisure Battery, split charge relay advice please...

Post by georgey » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi guys, fitting a leisure battery to the Bongo gonna go for an original battery tray from that auction site at £59.95 a Brocott inteligent split charge relay at £21.95 and a Numax sealed 85amp leisure battery at approx £60 total £142. Does this sound ok? has anyone else had this split charge relay? and will the battery be ok just used mainly for radio/dvd and coolbox. Any advice appreciated. any fitting advice very much appreciated. Regards Georgey.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure Battery, split charge relay advice please...

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:27 pm

you need to make sure its the intelligent split charge relay, so it does not flatten your main battery. Willinton from ebay does the kit which is brilliant and he also does the battery trays.
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/willinton&ssP ... X:SELLERID
send him a message asking if he has any kits for sale.
the 85 amp battery is ok for the radio and ciggy lighter. but a coolbox will flatten any battery within a few hours.
Lost without my Bongo.
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 pm

If it's an original make sure that it is one for the leisure battery side (passenger side) not the main battery, or that it can be adapted to mirror image. By reputation the Willington one would be good, I bought a metal one from ebay (non original) which is OK so far but not too happy with the battery clamp. That was £37 plus postage.

Good luck!
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:40 pm

the battery should be fine to run those items however dont expect it to last long running a coolbox, they are very inefficient. not seen the split charge relay but as long as its voltage sensative and dosn't need a supply direct from the alternator, it should do.also see what output it is on the relay, a lot are just 30 amp which dont last too long charging an 85 amp battery up from flat, they end up burning the contacts out which will result in a flat starter battery as they flatten both. i know its happened to me twice. just make sure that you put some fuses on either side of the relay for protection.

connection wise it depends on the relay but usually its a lead from the starter battery (sb) V+ to the relay terminal ?
a lead from relay to the leisure battery (lb) v+. an earth wire from sb v- to the relay. and an earth from lb v- to the bongo chassis.
thats basically it but if you could give me a link or a photo of the relay i could help you a bit more.
the battery tray will fit no problem as the original bongo tray will spin through 180 degrees, you will need to adapt the lower support bracket tho and it will fit up to a 100amp/hour battery cause thats what ive done with mine.
mike, jo and emma
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:42 pm

If you fit the willinton tray, you can fit a 110v LB if you decide you need more at a later date.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Seriously think about the willinton kit - everything you need except the battery itself. It's real quality and only a few quid more than what you're planning to spend here. It's tried and tested, excellent reputation, and a breeze to install.
Two tonne tin drum
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm

daveblueozzie wrote:you need to make sure its the intelligent split charge relay, so it does not flatten your main battery. Willinton from ebay does the kit which is brilliant and he also does the battery trays.
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/willinton&ssP ... X:SELLERID
send him a message asking if he has any kits for sale.
the 85 amp battery is ok for the radio and ciggy lighter. but a coolbox will flatten any battery within a few hours.
I'd second this and just go for the whole set-up from Martin (willinton) probably cheaper and guaranteed to work.

Just hope that he has some for sale....................

fit a 110v LB
:shock: That should make your eyes light up :wink:
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:53 pm

just had a look at the brocott, stay clear they wont last two minutes.
there are two options that will suit you. the full kit and kaboodle from willinton, good system, easy to fit and all that you need. as scanner says if he has them in
or raw componants on ebay will sell you all that you need to do the charging side but not the change over on the fuseboard which willintons does.
if you do go for the raw componants make sure you say its for a bongo.
mike, jo and emma
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm

I agree, I did look at DIY with components/Tray/LB.......get a Willinton & 110ah.............no contest............fit the best........ :D............total for me was £174......Tray/Split Kit & 110LB........'nuff said
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
georgey
Bongonaut

Post by georgey » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:38 pm

thanks for the replies guys. Looking to get the Willington kit now. Regards Georgey.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:08 pm

missfixit70 wrote:If you fit the willinton tray, you can fit a 110v LB if you decide you need more at a later date.
Just to qualify what Kirsty says, Willinton designed the tray etc around what he assessed as the biggest LB that could be fitted in there - the Numax 110AmpHr (green coloured) LB. Its possible some other 110AmpHrs are a different (bigger) dimension and won't fit so check them dimensions against the Numax and dont buy anything larger.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:20 pm

you can just get a Bosch 110 leisure battery under the bonnet with a willinton tray, but like i said its a tight squeeze, me BDC and i think YBB have this type of battery.
Lost without my Bongo.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:59 am

I've got a 115 Exide on a home made tray - tight squeeze :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:26 pm

In the C&CC magazine it points to an LB factsheet, could be of use...................http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... attery.pdf.........
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:14 pm

John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)

Return to “Techie Stuff”