Front heater matrix removal - nightmare!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

steveyd
Bongolier

Front heater matrix removal - nightmare!

Post by steveyd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm having an absolute nightmare replacing the front matrix - I've read the post suggesting pulling the front matrix out of the box in the cabin - all you have to do is undo the 10mm bolts, lever back the box which gives you enough space for the matrix pipes to clear the bulkhead...

No such luck on mine! I can only seem to get at 3 10mm bolts (that right?) - there's a bit of movement but not enough for the pipes to clear - I'm finding that the airbag sensor is getting in the way - is it safe to just disconnect (battery been disconnected for 3 days) and remove? There's a note on it saying to disconnect the "drivers side watch spring sensor first" - and where would that be?

I'm thinking that when my s/h matrix finally arrives - I might just cut the pipes short and make up some rubber heater pipe extensions and run them through into the cabin - would make job a lot easier - if its possible.

Any suggestions - anybody done this? I think my current matrix pipes have cracked in the bulkhead so I might try this with the current matrix..

cheers,

Steve
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Front heater matrix removal - nightmare!

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Steve
Yes, getting the old matrix out is a pig, as you have to pull the heater quite a lot to get the pipes to clear...It is also essential to pull carpet and padding out of the way. I presume that you also undid all THREE of the philips screws holding the end heater matrix cover off ( there is one hidden between the end cover piping shroud...I nearly missed this one myself).
The heater control box is a wotsname of a job to get out, as you would have to shift the under-dash air channels, but , after several well chosen magic words (not repeatable, but I can send them in a PM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ), and having removed the end cover of the heater , you can get your fingers under the heater box and pull...and I'm an arthritic OLD biddy, so a young chap should manage it, and with judicious use of said magic words, and all your puff, you should coax the matrix out....and replace it....
For goodness sake, don't shorten the heater pipes. I have some specially ordered reducing hoses, but having looked at the pipes , I would not recommend that method, as it almost certainly will fail.
If you want talking through it...PM me
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 am

Hi,

Cheers - yep, you're right - I managed to get the old matrix out and its really not adviseable to shorten the pipes.

I got all the bolts off, plus the 3 screws holding the cover onto the matrix but still had nowhere near enough space. So I undid the bolts for the airbag sensor ECU bracket - a bit more movement but I took a long hard look at the dashboard and found the end covers come off revealing 2 bolts either side, so I undid these plus the one at the front top of the dashboard and I got enough space to pull the dash out and upwards and finally managed to squeeze the old one out and get the new one in! I still had to utter a few unmentionables about Mazdas and Bongos in particular. But now its in and I'm working my way through a pile of bolts ready to go back, it didnt seem that bad..

I took some photos and I will post them once its all together.

cheers,

Steve
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 am

Hi Steve
Excellent!...maybe I was lucky...plus I don't have an airbag...there's probably more bracketry then....glad it's on the way, and that you didn't cut the pipes.....however, I am going to see if it's possible to repair the heater stubs....a few folk have had those disintegrate, with a perfectly healthy matrix!.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
manners

Post by manners » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi all Ive just had to cut short a two week trip to Germany and Italy after three days because of a failed heater matrix :evil: :evil: am I right in thinking thats the right prognosis, symptoms coolant dripping from black box under the dash even after four bottles of rad weld :!: Whats got me puzzled is i could drive 300klms and not loose any coolant, then start losing it for the next 50 klms for it to stop again. After 1130 miles i put in two litres of H2O and half a ltr of rad weld but at least we got back.
Are the matrix for a '99 V6 the same as the rest and where can i get one?

cheers manners.
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Hiya,

Yep - I found that with mine - sometimes I would lose the coolant really quickly and other times it would take a while before a refill. Yes, if its leaking from the heater box - the matrix is leaking into it, its filling up then it drips out slowly - my carpets were so sodden it was coming out through capillary action and dripping though the fixings onto the ground by the drivers door.

I can't see any reason why a v6 should have a different matrix- but check elsewhere first. I have some photos of getting it out and a few tips - it can be done in a day - the worst part was not knowing exactly what I was doing, but after I figured it out the worst bit was getting enough wangling room to get the new matrix in - but I did it in the end! (brute force and swearing!).

cheers,

Steve
manners

Post by manners » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi Steve could you post the pics or pm them. I found a posting on a Jap site and the guy had the dash out steering wheel off and all the wires hanging out like spaghetti did he go OTT?
PS where did you get your matrix from? BellHill are trying to get one but if they fail i need other opptions.

cheers manners
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi,

Sure - I'll post/pm the pictures tonight - still on the camera! I def. did not take the steering wheel off.

As a quicky: undo the 2 bolts behind the covers at the dash ends, the single 10mm bolt under the cover by the windscreen on top of the dash and 2 bolts behind the plastic cladding in the centre console by the drivers left leg. Dont forget to take out the bowden cables for bonnet and fuel cap release. You may also need to undo the bolts on the airbag sensor bracket in front of the gear selector. Dont forget the 3 bolts holding the heater box on. When all taken off, the dassh should move 2-3" back which is just enough to get the ol dmatrix out. When getting the new one in - would be easier if you have someone to pull the dash out whilst you get the new matrix in.

I got my my matrix from this breaker (& was very helpful): [email protected] - he may have another one. I got a higher quote from this guy on ebay: rover6201999

Hope this helps!

Steve
manners

Post by manners » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Cheers Steve just got off the phone from Bellhill and there putting one in the post Monday, then the fun will begin :roll:
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't find my camera (in the middle of a redecorating the lounge and its probably in the middle of a big pile of stuff dumped somewhere!). I'll try and dig it out for you, but if you get stuck pm me and I can talk you through it - was useful to me speaking to the guy who was breaking the bongo I got my matrix from!

cheers,

Steve
manners

Post by manners » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Cheers stripped everything out taken all panels off to get access to dash bolts and pipes and going to hand it over to the pro's as soon as the matrix turns up, as I'm stuck for time and want to try and catch the Saturday ferry to catch up where i left off [-o<
tjbrookes2004
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tjbrookes2004 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:46 pm

Hi , im attempting the replacement of the whole heater box , im got the old one out but struggling to get the replacement in , is there a knack to it
2.5 diesel
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Your 12 years late for this thread! The main air box isn't something I can recall many replacing!
Replacing just the heating matrix isn't nearly as difficult as it slides out to the side into the passenger footwell.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”