An experience installing rear-view cameras ...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

nightjar

An experience installing rear-view cameras ...

Post by nightjar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Just thought I'd share (and I'm quite proud, 'cos it works and is tidy ... :-)

My Bongo is - 2000 V6 converted (ex)flat-top with original spoiler (else YMMV) ...

With internal seats and headrests, I found that, at best, I had a letter-box view behind me. With kids in place, view went to nought! After a couple of (very minor) dings reversing, and a couple of near misses with the lack of rear-view, I thought I'd try 'new-tech'.

Got a 'bracket' twin-camera with clip-on monitor and 5m cables from reversingcameras.co.uk (not a plug, just a fact).

Spoiler has T30 star-bolts to hold it on ... I've never met these before, and it took a while to tool my kit. They undid nicely. No torque and the spoiler just lifted off (slight 'tick' as it had plastic thingys to orientate it - 'straight' pull in direction of bolts all that was needed). Connector block for high-level brake-light wiring is obvious and easy (didn't just rip it off).

Rear mirror (whose functionality was being replaced anyway) took serious worries to undo ... WD40, patience and a VERY well fitting driver head did the trick. Only stripped one head :-(. 10mmxM6 bolts fit fine!

I'd measured and made up a plate of 2-3mm aluminium to mount the camera body onto, and the angle/size seemed fine. Bolted that on using the original rubber from the mirror.

Cables for the cameras came in pairs (one each!). All the rest is for 2 cables as there are 2 cameras.
Decided early that cables would come down off-side to driver-side wiring at the front. Started by taking off the plastic trim stuff on rear pillar ... pain, and I still have some clips (anyone got any advice about taking the stuff off - I'm not a mechanic).
There are a couple of holes in the internal skin which allow access to the single hole coming out of the back - one is empty (?) and the other takes the tailgate wiring.
Tailgate wiring runs from the outer skin to the tailgate via a tube with grommets at each end. I couldn't get the camera cables through this, so I snipped a hole in each grommet and ran the cables outside the tube (will use some silicon sealant to restore integrity as this is a water-entry point).
Coming out of the tailgate there's a plastic thingy, which the wires for the brake-light go through. I snipped this to allow the camera cables to go through. Cables fitted into the space nicely, I just couldn't thread them through.
Spoiler is hollow and (relatively) easy to take cables through ... my neighbours may have a different impression!

The brake-light on the spoiler is made of 2 parts - rearmost is the actual LED-strip, and t'other bit is just a soft plastic fitting (again, YMMV). There is a hole in the spoiler which allows the wiring through, that is big enough to ...! I made a hole in t'other bit to feed the cables through.

Cables now run up rear pillar, through a hole, out at the edges of the tailgate wiring grommet and out of the outer skin of the tailgate beside the brake-light wiring. From there they go into the spoiler and then out of a (created) gap in the brake-light fitting.

No holes drilled. A small amount of (black) silicon sealant to repair holes in rubber seals.

5m cable not quite enough, and it's difficult to get spoiler off/service cameras etc, so I'm going to put a 1m extension cable inside the spoiler to allow disconnection etc.

Now to put it back together again - bl**dy trim!

All works. Enjoying :-)
Scott
Supreme Being

Re: An experience installing rear-view cameras ...

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:08 pm

I installed mine in the centre of the rear spoiler, fed it through the spoiler into the door and through the rubber joining grommetty type thing around the roof and to the front, must admit it was a right pain and if the camera goes wrong its gonna be a bugger to sort it out :?

The user formerly known as csmcqueen ;)

スコット
Barrington
Supreme Being

Post by Barrington » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Thats a fantastic looking camera scott, got a link mate :mrgreen:
Music is my Sanctuary!
Scott
Supreme Being

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Barrington wrote:Thats a fantastic looking camera scott, got a link mate :mrgreen:
Got it via ebay buddy, but cant find the link or the seller now, will keep an eye out for ya :(

スコット
Barrington
Supreme Being

Post by Barrington » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Cheers scott :D
Music is my Sanctuary!
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Post by Colin H F » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi fitted my camera inside, being an ex tin top I had an interior high level brake light, so fixed it to that, simple,works a treat, trouble is its no good in the dark, is yours a night vision Scott?

prior owner of >>>>1999 2.5 diesel ex tin top &FORD FREDA 2000 2.0 LTR PETROL
Scott
Supreme Being

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Colin H F wrote:Hi fitted my camera inside, being an ex tin top I had an interior high level brake light, so fixed it to that, simple,works a treat, trouble is its no good in the dark, is yours a night vision Scott?
It is indeedee, IT has two blocks of Infra Red Led's, 4 on one side and 3 (+light sensor) on the other, these dont do a great deal to be honest but along the reversing lights works great, even if you cant see anything out of the rear mirror this thing see perfectly :D

スコット
jojay5
Bongolier

Post by jojay5 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Here you go. This looks like the one? Couldn't deprive Barrington of more chrome (but practical) bling! :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIDE-ANGLE-CAR-RE ... 3004wt_974
James, Jo & Erin
JAL/V6/LPG/Mushroom/Full Side Conversion/Cannon Forge Bed
Scott
Supreme Being

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:20 pm

jojay5 wrote:Here you go. This looks like the one? Couldn't deprive Barrington of more chrome (but practical) bling! :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIDE-ANGLE-CAR-RE ... 3004wt_974
That's the one :wink:

スコット
You've Been Bongod
Supreme Being

Post by You've Been Bongod » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Scott wrote:I installed mine in the centre of the rear spoiler, fed it through the spoiler into the door and through the rubber joining grommetty type thing around the roof and to the front, must admit it was a right pain and if the camera goes wrong its gonna be a bugger to sort it out :?

that is a top camera scott as i have the same 1 fitted
good clear picture with distance markings
I NOW HAVE AN ASTRA JUST THE BONGO TO FIND A NEW HOME THEN I AM OUT OF HERE
Barrington
Supreme Being

Post by Barrington » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:17 am

Alredy on the case james but thanks matey :wink:
Music is my Sanctuary!
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Post by Colin H F » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:12 pm

That seems a good deal for the price, do you think it could also be used as a security camera outside your house :?: mine at the moment are not night vision, what would I need to adapt it to plug into a TV or VCR :?:
prior owner of >>>>1999 2.5 diesel ex tin top &FORD FREDA 2000 2.0 LTR PETROL
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Colin H F wrote:That seems a good deal for the price, do you think it could also be used as a security camera outside your house :?: mine at the moment are not night vision, what would I need to adapt it to plug into a TV or VCR :?:
It would be usable, but bear in mind the 120 field of view and mirror reversal, and that the LED's will only illuminate out a few feet, there not intended for 20-30 foot range. The signal is a straight PAL signal which will plug into any TV/VCR that has yellow phono connectors (normally, beside white and red ones for stereo audio)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
patnben
Bongolier

Post by patnben » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Scott wrote:I installed mine in the centre of the rear spoiler.

Scott,
Does this adjust enough in this position to see the rear ball hitch ?. I often have to hook the
caravan up on my own and I find the rear mirror useless in this respect to get it exactly right.

Thanks.

Ben
You've Been Bongod
Supreme Being

Post by You've Been Bongod » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:41 pm

patnben wrote:
Scott wrote:I installed mine in the centre of the rear spoiler.

Scott,
Does this adjust enough in this position to see the rear ball hitch ?. I often have to hook the
caravan up on my own and I find the rear mirror useless in this respect to get it exactly right.

Thanks.

Ben
i will answer for scott as i have the same camera

the answer is yes i have mine adjusted so can see the towball

another plus for this is when i have my trailer on the bongo it is as easy as pie to reverse as you can see the trailer in the camera
I NOW HAVE AN ASTRA JUST THE BONGO TO FIND A NEW HOME THEN I AM OUT OF HERE

Return to “Techie Stuff”