rear heater motor

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rev pete

rear heater motor

Post by rev pete » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Can you tell me if I can remove the rear heater motor without disturbing the rest of the heater? I have something jamming the fan..Amy help will be most welcome...Thankyou Pete
dunslair
Supreme Being

Re: rear heater motor

Post by dunslair » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Unfortunately you will need to remove the entire housing in order to get at the clips which hold the top half of the unit on. Only once the clips are off can you get in at the motor, baffles, aircon unit and rear heater matrix. Bit of a poor design if you ask me :roll:
rev pete

Post by rev pete » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Oh dear thats going to be a lot of work to retrieve something that may have fallen into the fan unit...Thanks for the reply...I wish the shop had a manual for the 2.5 diesel Grrr lol :o)
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Your best bet is the lush project drawings.

Tony

http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... no=.html#9
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:10 pm

rev pete wrote:Oh dear thats going to be a lot of work to retrieve something that may have fallen into the fan unit...Thanks for the reply...I wish the shop had a manual for the 2.5 diesel Grrr lol :o)
Pretty sure you can get the motor/fan out (from memory) without having to take the rest out, one or 2 bolts underneath & a 2 or 3 on top, have a search there are old posts on this. If you've dropped sumat in there I take it you've already got side panels off?
Failing that, if its sumat metallic what about one of those extendy magnet probe jobbies? or look in the pound shop for a flexible grabber/pick up thing? chewing gum on a stick?
Even if the shop had the manual in stock, it wouldn't help (click on the "full details here" link
"IT DOES NOT COVER

Chassis electrics (available through club already), Body/Trim & Heating/Aircon."
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi
Definitely a summer job...the trim panel has plastic retainers for the trim clips which will break in the cold weather...it's O.K. in a heated garage, but the plastic is rather brittle.
You don't have to remove the housing... as Kirsty says, and beware the bolt underneath. i replaced my motor a year back. I shall have to dive in there in the summer again ...replacement heater matrix....GGGGrrrr
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:29 pm

You should be able to get at what ever is jamming the fan when you remove the side panel....
From memory, the air is taken in down a hopper from the panel slats, to the fan drum chamber....?
What ever blocks it may be as far as there....?!

Did a child push some thing through the air intake in the panel??? :roll:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Confused with the replies above :? ....... we had to remove the whole unit to get at the clips holding the top and bottom sections of housing together. Is the design different on the pre 2001 models? Agree totally with you on the brittle nature of the clips Helen. I lost one of the ones holding the digital control unit in place and had to swap for another. :roll: Not a job for cold hands........
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:42 pm

dunslair wrote:Confused with the replies above :? ....... we had to remove the whole unit to get at the clips holding the top and bottom sections of housing together. Is the design different on the pre 2001 models? Agree totally with you on the brittle nature of the clips Helen. I lost one of the ones holding the digital control unit in place and had to swap for another. :roll: Not a job for cold hands........
Don't know if design is different after 2001 as I haven't worked on one, but the fan /motor is outside & to the rear of the plastic "box" that contains the heater matrix, ac matrix & changeover flaps in the 95 model, can't imagine why they'd change it on the later ones, but you never know.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:30 am

missfixit70 wrote:
dunslair wrote:Confused with the replies above :? ....... we had to remove the whole unit to get at the clips holding the top and bottom sections of housing together. Is the design different on the pre 2001 models? Agree totally with you on the brittle nature of the clips Helen. I lost one of the ones holding the digital control unit in place and had to swap for another. :roll: Not a job for cold hands........
Don't know if design is different after 2001 as I haven't worked on one, but the fan /motor is outside & to the rear of the plastic "box" that contains the heater matrix, ac matrix & changeover flaps in the 95 model, can't imagine why they'd change it on the later ones, but you never know.
I am sure the design will be the same on our 2003 model, since I got hold of a unit from Bongobits which was clearly from an earlier van, and with a few minor fixings all was compatable. Must be my memory playing up Kirsty :roll: It was an unwelcome distraction that I would rather forget after all :wink: :lol:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Here you go, this may help jog the memory :wink:

dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:06 pm

How kind..... but really you did not need to go to all that trouble just to remind me how it looked....... :lol: :lol: :lol: See you got plenty of knuckle scrapes removing it as well :roll: :D
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm

jaylee wrote:You should be able to get at what ever is jamming the fan when you remove the side panel....
From memory, the air is taken in down a hopper from the panel slats, to the fan drum chamber....?
What ever blocks it may be as far as there....?!

Did a child push some thing through the air intake in the panel??? :roll:
dunslair wrote:How kind..... but really you did not need to go to all that trouble just to remind me how it looked....... :lol: :lol: :lol: See you got plenty of knuckle scrapes removing it as well :roll: :D

I wouldn't worry about that.... :D Kirsty takes pictures of everything she pulls apart.. 8) The heater assembly on Missfixit's Bongo was removed last year? For a water supply installation when it was converted!!

Got any conversion pics Kirsty?? :P
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
rev pete

Post by rev pete » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Thankyou folks I am very grateful for all your information all I can say is Bongoliers are brilliant :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”