where can i find a front heater matrix?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stockportdave

where can i find a front heater matrix?

Post by stockportdave » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Does anyone know where i can get a front heater matrix for my poorly 1995 Bongo. I am in Stockport but will consider anywhere of course. Also are there any instructions anywhere in the archive on 'how to' replace said item. Hope someone out in the bongosphere can help
steveyd
Bongolier

Re: where can i find a front heater matrix?

Post by steveyd » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi,

My matrix failed back in the summer and I replaced it with one from a Bongo breakers - check out ebay - there's a few reputable ones out there and should be MUCH cheaper than a new one...

The knack in replacing the front matrix is to loosen all the bolts on the dashboard (finding them is what took the time for me as no written instructions anywhere!) - this allows the dashboard to slide back so the heater box can pull back from the front bulkhead enough that you can pull out the matrix. You have to be careful with the matrix as it has plastic pipes which are easy to break..

The matrix is in the passengers footwell - - it should be easy to see as it has 2 pipes leading into it- there's a plastic cover, remove this. You will then need to take out the bolts holding the heater box to the bulkhead (3 10mm I think). Then you need to loosen the dashboard bolts - take out the plastic covers at each end of the dashboard by levering them out - be careful in the cold as the plastic might break!. Behind these you'll see some 13mm bolts (big ones) - take these out/loosen them. In the centre of the dashboard by the windsreen there's another plastic cover - prise this up and undo the 10mm bolt under it. You will now need to take the side covers off the centre console and you should see some more 13mm bolts there - undo these and the dashboard should be loose (going on memory here). There's plenty of wires etc still connected so gently pull the dashboard back making sure its not snagged on anything (I dont think it will fall but be careful). Now you can drain your coolant, and then take out the front heater box components so the pipes in the "engine" bay to the matrix pipes coming through the bulkhead are exposed - undo them. Now its a case of getting back inside (get some rags handy!), pull back the heater box (should have enough movement now the dash is loose) and the pipes should just clear the bulkhead - pull out the matrix sideways.

... put new matrix in - probably worth reverse flushing it, making sure it doesnt have a leak etc etc. When putting it back in I found it quite a squeeze getting it back into the heater box and then the dash back in with the matrix pipes gently eased into the bulkhead holes... Lots of swearing did the job. Make sure you get all the bolts in, stuff reconnected etc etc.

Dont forget to follow the bleeding instructions on the factsheet (always worked well for me - just wait for the bottom hose to get hot!) or the Youtube videos. Make sure you use a 50% mix of antifreeze - follow threads here on which type - I've used the blue stuff. Realistically, a good afternoons job.. As I just had the Bongo at the time I took the opportunity to do all the major hoses and fit an LCA and Mason alarm too..

Hope this helps!

Steve
stockportdave

Post by stockportdave » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 am

thank you very much Steve. A bit like science, your answer illuminates more ignorance !! (on my part).
I have a leak (which the garage identified as coming from the heater matrix) however.... the leak is into the footwell of the driver's area, not the passengers. Could this symptom be caused by a leak in the heater matrix Steve??
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi,

Yes is the short answer! This is exactly what mine was doing - if you give your soggy carpets a sniff and a feel you'll notice they feel "sticky" - this is the antifreeze - (assuming you've got plenty in there!). If it was rainwater (i.e. leaking windscreen seal) it should be clear. As the only part of the coolant system that comes into the cabin then any coolant in the cabin must come from that (and the hose joins are on the other side of the bulkhead, so any leakage must be in the heater matrix). On Bongo's, water is always circulating through the matrix - a simple air flap controls the mix of cold/hot air.

Mine was so bad I could see the drip from the bottom of the heater box - if you crouch down on the drivers side you'll probably be able to see it dripping onto the carpet on top of the transmission tunnel. Mine pooled so much in the underlay/sound proofing that it was leaking out through the bolt gaps in the footplate trim and leaking onto the ground.

I found using lots of cat litter on the carpet helped dry it up. It was also a revelation to have a Bongo that didnt smell like a wet dog!

My second hand matrix is still going strong, amd its a lot easier to source a good s/hand one than wait months and pay £££'s for a new one from Japan.

cheers,

Steve
stockportdave

Post by stockportdave » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks a lot Steve. I love this Bongo Club!
Re the instructions for removing the dashboard. I have loosened the 2 bolts at either end of the metal tube which I presume the dashboard 'rests' on, and the two bolts connecting the middle to floor near the central square plastic console - I can feel 1cm of play on the passenger side but nothing on the driver's side. However I cannot find, or even see, the 'plastic cover, near the windscreen which i should prize off. As per your instruction.

"In the centre of the dashboard by the windsreen there's another plastic cover - prise this up and undo the 10mm bolt under it"

Could you add anything to help me locate that?

If you text me your number, would u mind if i spoke to you about this?
Dave 07890552345
thanks for your help so far.
ps - bought s/h matrix by post.
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi,

I've texted you: in short, there is a small square plastic cover about 4 x 4 cm in the dash top in the centre, just in front of the windscreen- this should prize up, and underneath there is a bolt. .. When I get home (6ish) I'll take a phone piccy if you like?

Thinking about it -- I can't remember exactly, but I think you have to undo the 4 bolts holding the steering column to the dash super structure as this will stop the dash from pulling back.

cheers,

Steve

p.s. Just spoken to you now - will get a photo once I get back home!
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:07 pm

we got one from wheelquick last year worth giving them a ring as they are in wigan.
stockportdave

Post by stockportdave » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks Karena. I phoned Steve straight off but he had just sold one.

Thanks though. I did get one via find-a-part.com £60.00 plus

Return to “Techie Stuff”