Imperial Conversion - access to rear heater controls

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Imperial Conversion - access to rear heater controls

Post by Poohbear » Wed May 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Our Bongo has an Imperial Moonfleet conversion and I have a problem with the rear climate control which is always blowing out hot air, whichever position the temperature slider is in. Having spoken to various people and asked questions on this forum I have isolated this problem to the flap which covers the heater matrix when you the system calls for cool air. it could be a stuck flap, a failed actuator or just a linkage disconnected.

The problem is how to access the flap and it's actuator. Having spoken to Autovan Services who do the conversions for Imperial, the whole kitchen has to come out! Now I'm not just having that so my intention is to try and cut out the floor or back wall of the conversion, sort out the problem and then fit a removable access door so that it is much easier should I need to gain access again.

What i need to know is where in the van is the flap located so that i can remove the appropriate part of the kitchen floor or wall. If anyone has photographs of this area or has their Bongo in pieces at the moment, any information they can provide on the exact location would be much appreciated.

Help!
dunslair
Supreme Being

Re: Imperial Conversion - access to rear heater controls

Post by dunslair » Wed May 04, 2011 1:46 pm

The flap / baffle is located in the plastic housing which also holds the rear heater matrix, fan motor and condenser. In ordet to remove the top section of this housing you require to remove the side panel in the van. This will give you access to the compartment / in the floor which houses the unit. You will need to lift the unit out to get at the clips holding the top section on (cant remember if you can get at the linkage without taking top of housing off :? )Lush projects have a diagram of the housing etc. Sorry bit pushed for time right now, but I am sure somebody will be along with a link.

Cheers

David.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed May 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Here's some pics from during my conversion - hope they help.

Click the link in my sig for the full album, where you can zoom in on these.

Cheers
Dave

Click the link in my sig for the full album, where you can zoom in on these.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Thu May 05, 2011 9:33 am

In case it's not clear from Dave's pics the flap is where he has attached the white ducting to. If it's just that the bowden cable has come off the mechanism (if it's manual controls these are only secured with a spring clip and pull off the top), you can see the mechanism as two white discs to the right of the flap.
95 N Reg 4WD Manual AFT Bongo

Image Image
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu May 05, 2011 10:19 am

Excuse the rush job on this....! :oops:

The pivot for the heater flap is circled in red... (It looks set on cold in this picture?)

It covers the heater matrix like this roughly outlined in red again for cold air...

When the flap swings away it kind of almost causes a slight obstruction allowing the air pulled in from the fan to heat up before getting pushed through the exit vents....

I have a manual system but the principle is pretty much the same! :wink:

Hope this kind of helps..?!!

(The white discs look like blanks for the manual set up.)

Fantastic looking conversion by the way Dave! 8)
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Thu May 05, 2011 10:47 am

Excellent response guys. I'll have a look tonight to see whether I can get at any of it and will report back. :)
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 am

Well, i wish you the best of luck with it all.... I just noticed yer based in Worcester... I was born in Oldbury road.. 68, (The year.) moved down here when i was 5.. Just Google mapped the house... It was all fields opposite! #-o
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...

Return to “Techie Stuff”