One very hot rear heater

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

borntobag

One very hot rear heater

Post by borntobag » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:38 pm

One of the jobs in the “to do” list for my rapidly looming drive to Spain was to sort out the rear heater fan. It’s never worked since I bought the Bongo and was no real concern to me as I sit in the front, however as I will have 3 teenagers sitting in the back for 1250 miles each way I don’t think I would be able to bear them moaning about the heat unless this job was done and my conscience was clear.

Did the usual first, checked the fuses, all ok, took the control panel out and put a test meter across it, yep power to that. Looked down into the abyss, to what appear to be a rather unhealthy fan with half its fins missing. Nothing for it, the lot had to come out.
Unclipped the side panel, removed the 3 nuts in the floor panel, separated the fan from the remaining housing thingy, undid the 2 hoses from underneath, the air con pipes and the 3 retaining nuts, and pulled it all out.

Then the cause for its lack of enthusiasm to work became all too apparent. Whoever owned the bongo before me had the sills welded.....yep...you guessed it, one solid melted heather fan and housing, they must surely have realised when they torched it.

Any way I have managed to source replacement parts which will be fitted this week as will another new rad as the first was delivered to me broken. All in all a frustrating weekend, but I managed to fit the LCA, just need to tap it into the ignition as I didn’t want to with the cooling system being all over my garage floor.

Just can’t believe some idiots will weld without knowing what is behind the area they are welding.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: One very hot rear heater

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm

well done mate,not a job for the faint hearted. a good excuse to rip it all out though and do some red leading and painting while your in there. =D> =D> .
borntobag

Re: One very hot rear heater

Post by borntobag » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:50 pm

It wasnt to bad to do really Ady, as the coolant system was empty anyway due to the lack of radiator, quite straight forward really.
And yes the insides have been treated and repainted, been rude not too while it was apart.
Wonder what the next suprise will be?

Return to “Techie Stuff”