Second Battery/lesuire battery

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jenny + Mario

Post by Jenny + Mario » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:59 pm

We have just bought this new 3 way waeco fridge
http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobilecoolbo ... bicool.htm
It cools to 30 below ambient and can sit in our venice awning when running on propane. I have yet to try it out but at ?150 (it has gone up in price a bit since) it should keep our babies milk cool for the four day Cropredy festival.

I have had to find a 13kg gas bottle for it though!
M
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:21 am

This is an absorbsion type of fridge. Cheaper than a compressor fridge by far, but much less efficient in that it uses more than twice as much power to run it. They produce a lot of heat too. Also, you have to keep lugging it in and out of the vehicle to use it on gas.

If you use it in the vehicle while on the move, you will have the alternator working harder to provide the extra 8 amps for the fridge, and the air-con working harder to cope with the heat from the fridge. This will of course cause the engine to work harder and use more diesel.
pippin

Post by pippin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 pm

On the same theme of trying to pull oneself up by ones bootlaces:

I am always amused when I see someone drying wet clothes in front of one of those super ser calor gas heaters.

The butane combines with oxygen to produce huge amounts of water vapour. The water vapour makes the air so moist that the moisture in the garments is harder to release.

Not only that but the boiling off butane causes the metal canister to cool down quite markedly, negating some of the heating effect of burning the butane anyway.

Plus the effect of all that moisture condensing out of the air onto the cold surfaces of the room.............

Hardly an efficient procedure!

Return to “Techie Stuff”