Weak heater / aircon blowers.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jerzy
Bongonaut

Weak heater / aircon blowers.

Post by Jerzy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Had my aircon re-gassed by Nigel of Derbyshire Aircon Services at the Sheffield day meet on Sunday.
It’s blowing out cold now, however my blowers aren't very strong.

They blow and turn up and down on all four settings (Manual air con) so we eliminated the well-documented resistor problem.
The fan you can see if you take the big plastic cover off seems to be spinning ok, but it’s just not very strong in the cab as if something’s blocked up somewhere but couldn't see anything.
We only took the big plastic cover off, and presumably it gets sucked in and through the bits to the left and below?

Any suggestions ?

Cheers.
Jerry.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Weak heater / aircon blowers.

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:22 pm

I recently took my under bonnet heating unit off to access the ABS system ..

On checking it over before re fitting I was surprised at the amount of debris stuck on the A/C Matrix and the accumulated dust / crap on the fans 'turbine' ..

Cleaned every thing up with some Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner / water .. then sprayed leckies with some WD40 ..

It as made an amazing difference .. fans is quieter and a far more powerful blow ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 pm

=D> =D> =D> .
watch out for those large jap dragon flies some are massive, and have big staring eyes. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 am

mikeWalsall wrote:I recently took my under bonnet heating unit off to access the ABS system ..

On checking it over before re fitting I was surprised at the amount of debris stuck on the A/C Matrix and the accumulated dust / crap on the fans 'turbine' ..

Cleaned every thing up with some Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner / water .. then sprayed leckies with some WD40 ..

It as made an amazing difference .. fans is quieter and a far more powerful blow ..
Ditto. I carefully picked away the remains of the mildewed clogged filter material clogging the matrix. The throughput of the blower increased dramatically, and the tendency to be smelly disappeared. :-)
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:15 pm

More reading here.... http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... lit=gasket

If you scroll down i made a gasket replacement for the evaporator housing which stopped air leaking into the under bonnet compartment, directing it all into the cab....
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Jerzy
Bongonaut

Post by Jerzy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks chaps, sounds like it's bunged up then.

Ok, now you'll realise what a mechanic I'm not...
Just to clarify, the bit that had the tights put over as a filter, that's the bit over the actual fan that's easily accessible by taking the big plastic bit of that sits on the top.
And...the bit that actually needed cleaning out of insects & muck was the bit that Jaylee is pointing to with his finger in the photos further down, that he made a gasket for.
That right?

And if so, how tricky is it to take off, clean, and more importantly, put back together ?? :)
(after reading the above you may say, for me, very...;))

Edit:I've looked at the pics in this thread again and can it is the 'other' bit that needs the cleaning, so just need to know how tricky it is.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:14 am

Jerzy wrote: Just to clarify, the bit that had the tights put over as a filter, that's the bit over the actual fan that's easily accessible by taking the big plastic bit of that sits on the top.
And...the bit that actually needed cleaning out of insects & muck was the bit that Jaylee is pointing to with his finger in the photos further down, that he made a gasket for.
That right?

And if so, how tricky is it to take off, clean, and more importantly, put back together ?? :)
(after reading the above you may say, for me, very...;))

Edit:I've looked at the pics in this thread again and can it is the 'other' bit that needs the cleaning, so just need to know how tricky it is.
Yes.. The intake scoop thing..

The gasket sits between the fan housing (in front.) joined together to the evaporator housing. (behind) The evaporator is what needs the clean... Air passes through it to the heater housing chamber & then the vents... If the evaporator is clogged then the air flow into the cab is restricted.

I didn't think it was that tricky to remove all the relevant bits.... Cleaning the evaporator fins was the pain for me!! But worth it....

This may help? http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:20 am

I did the gasket thing also. But I didn't do the tights thing as I didn't have an old pair to hand..........jaylee :roll: :lol:

Good idea though =D>
Jerzy
Bongonaut

Post by Jerzy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:17 am

Brilliant! Thanks again chaps. I'll get some tights and a rolled up newspaper for the scary suspended-animation dragon flies :shock: :lol:

Hopefully my next post here won't be "I've got all these bits of plastic on the floor..." :)
Jerzy
Bongonaut

Post by Jerzy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 am

Finally got round to this (Well few weeks ago) using all the tips above.
Actually managed to take it all apart and clean the grill with a toothbrush and the hoover (And no huge dragonflies - I was a *bit* disappointed...)
Here's before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADRrfER3hHY
And after:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMxfd8VGB0Q
:-D
Great improvement, thanks for all the tips!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 am

Jerzy wrote:Finally got round to this (Well few weeks ago) using all the tips above.
Actually managed to take it all apart and clean the grill with a toothbrush and the hoover (And no huge dragonflies - I was a *bit* disappointed...)
Here's before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADRrfER3hHY
And after:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMxfd8VGB0Q
:-D
Great improvement, thanks for all the tips!
Excellent, and just in time for the Season of Misty Windscreens :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”