A Bongo Adventure to Greece

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: A Bongo Adventure to Greece

Post by helen&tony » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi
A few folkses seem interested, here, so how about everyone putting some dates in the ring, and I'll edit the list as they come in, and see where there's any flexibility???
If you have a preference for route, please speak out, as I think most people want a convoy....It sounds very nice and friendly, and, of course, you can split up on the road and meet at catchup points.
We're obviously not travelling far, as we live in Bulgaria, but if you want to list as per example below, I'll tabulate them all on a second thread, then I can try and mail round to see if anywhere will offer discount for a party...maybe even the ferries might knock a bit off for numbers...but don't hold yer breath....but as they say in Holland: "No , you've already got....yes you can get"....
Example:
Fred and Wilma - Route 1/. travel between June %th and Aug %th
Once we get numbers, I'll plan out some stops for you
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:36 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
A few folkses seem interested, here, so how about everyone putting some dates in the ring, and I'll edit the list as they come in, and see where there's any flexibility???
If you have a preference for route, please speak out, as I think most people want a convoy....It sounds very nice and friendly, and, of course, you can split up on the road and meet at catchup points.
We're obviously not travelling far, as we live in Bulgaria, but if you want to list as per example below, I'll tabulate them all on a second thread, then I can try and mail round to see if anywhere will offer discount for a party...maybe even the ferries might knock a bit off for numbers...but don't hold yer breath....but as they say in Holland: "No , you've already got....yes you can get"....
Example:
Fred and Wilma - Route 1/. travel between June %th and Aug %th
Once we get numbers, I'll plan out some stops for you
Cheers
Helen
Route: France, Switzerland, Italy, and a ferry to Patras and go North on the way there and would prefer to be in a convoy. On the way back We'll spend the rest of summer driving back slowly ending up in France.

Would prefer July :) but would consider August

Long holidays but stuck to school holidays here :)
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:38 am

Hi Cat
We'll wait and see what others say...
Sounds nice, a lazy drive back through France.....We'd like a nice little cottage with a good-size garden in France...It's a bit primitive over here, and no care for the elderly....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi Cat
We'll wait and see what others say...
Sounds nice, a lazy drive back through France.....We'd like a nice little cottage with a good-size garden in France...It's a bit primitive over here, and no care for the elderly....
Cheers
Helen
Always spent my holidays in France when I was a kid and spent the holidays with my children there too as half my family are there as I'm half French. I can imagine living out there one day but meanwhile I have the luxury of visiting my mums home in the beautiful calm area of the Limousin and cousins in Fontaine Bleu :)
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi Cat
I like the idea of The Auvergne...we put a deposit on a house there...GORGEOUS...and much to the anger of the estate agent, the vendor wouldn't extend the waiting period by 2 days, as we were waiting on paperwork at the French end...and you must know what that's like....and the lawyer and the estate agent called her names in French, German , Dutch, and English that aren't repeatable in ANY language....Anyway, I also like the country , and the people around Verdun, and in the French / Swiss alpine area........and certain parts of Brittany.........We like it in our village, here, but dealing with authority here ......well...they understand me.....and I swear in goodness knows how many languages :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Cat
I like the idea of The Auvergne...we put a deposit on a house there...GORGEOUS...and much to the anger of the estate agent, the vendor wouldn't extend the waiting period by 2 days, as we were waiting on paperwork at the French end...and you must know what that's like....and the lawyer and the estate agent called her names in French, German , Dutch, and English that aren't repeatable in ANY language....Anyway, I also like the country , and the people around Verdun, and in the French / Swiss alpine area........and certain parts of Brittany.........We like it in our village, here, but dealing with authority here ......well...they understand me.....and I swear in goodness knows how many languages :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
The Auvergne is lovely but lots of English there now. The Limousin is just as nice but still very French :) The bureaucracy in France is awful and dealing with authority is a pain in the ..... in France too! Still love it though :))
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Cat
That's the Auvergne ticked off my list, then.....English abroad are bitchy little schoolgirls, and that's just the men!...we don't mix...I like Frenchy!....The food, Calvados / French cider/ absinthe, cheese, bread and listen to the vielle a roue....MAGIC !
Cheers
Helen
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:15 pm

We have good mates in Languedoc, stay there frequently, still very French and not spoilt. The "G+T plus yachts" brigade have flooded Provence,ruined it, but Languedoc is still reasonable, and stunningly beautiful.

Derek
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Helen

Think July would be ok for us,doubt we could do August thou. Fairly easy going when it comes to the route, but wouldn't want to be sat on motorway all the way, would like to see a bit of the areas we would be passing. Also just wondered if convoy would be 1 way, as others seem to be talking about doing their own thing on the return journey?

Cheers
Barry
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:00 am

Hi Barry
That's 2 of you showing preference , so I'll start a second thread today, purely for dates and travel route (saves having to trawl through the chatter on here :lol: ).
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi
Sorry for the delay...I'm just going to start a new thread relating to who's interested , the dates, and times...purely for head-counting purposes, and perhaps we could keep the chat on here!
Cheers
Helen
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:28 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Sorry for the delay...I'm just going to start a new thread relating to who's interested , the dates, and times...purely for head-counting purposes, and perhaps we could keep the chat on here!
Cheers
Helen
Good idea.. ooops I chatted on the other one :(
I love cheese!
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 37&t=64046

Link for dates and routes :) Thank you Helen
I love cheese!
thetravelbug
Junior Bongonaut

Post by thetravelbug » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:21 am

Sounds fab, depending on dates we might be up for it as well!
Once we buy our Bongo that is.
Like Helen & Tony, we live in Bulgaria for much of the year but also have a place in southern Austria and a caravan we leave down on Lefkas in Greece.
We have done the route from Austria to Bulgaria via Romania loads of times - up til now in our Renault Trafic, but that is going to be replaced by a Bongo. The roads in Romania are good, just no motorways - there are a couple of campsites although you can stay in a hotel for the same money. We usually go the route following the Serbian border down and then cross over to bridge at Vidin to Bulgaria. Then the journey gets worse as that road from Vidin to Sofia is the worse part.
We used to live in France and did the Ancona to Igoumentisa ferry crossing several times, only used the camping deck once towing a caravan. Italy is horrendously expensive to drive through for tolls and fuel.
Greece is also expensive for fuel.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 am

thetravelbug wrote:Sounds fab, depending on dates we might be up for it as well!
Once we buy our Bongo that is.
Like Helen & Tony, we live in Bulgaria for much of the year but also have a place in southern Austria and a caravan we leave down on Lefkas in Greece.
We have done the route from Austria to Bulgaria via Romania loads of times - up til now in our Renault Trafic, but that is going to be replaced by a Bongo. The roads in Romania are good, just no motorways - there are a couple of campsites although you can stay in a hotel for the same money. We usually go the route following the Serbian border down and then cross over to bridge at Vidin to Bulgaria. Then the journey gets worse as that road from Vidin to Sofia is the worse part.
We used to live in France and did the Ancona to Igoumentisa ferry crossing several times, only used the camping deck once towing a caravan. Italy is horrendously expensive to drive through for tolls and fuel.
Greece is also expensive for fuel.
You sound like you have interesting (travel bug) lives. I'm slightly envious :lol:

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”