Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ICBongo
Bongonaut

My heater dash is very dull

Post by ICBongo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the BF Forum. :D

Having recently bought a Bongo, I've so far: cleaned it (outside in (my god it was dirty)), T-Cut it, fixed the paint chips, fitted a CD-Radio, made a roof mattress, fitted a remote central locking alarm and upgraded the headlight bulbs. I still have loads more tinkering to do - but my next job is to look at whether I need to replace any dash bulbs.

I'm used to a Mazda 6 and that's like sitting in a space ship, so I don't expect the Bongo (called Frosty BTW because it's pure white) to light up like a Christmas tree, but the heater dash strikes me as being very dull. I'm wondering if there isn't a bulb gone so I thought I'd ask you lot for advice.

When it's dark I can see the air direction icons lit up (screen, front vents, foot well etc) but the temperature blue to red bar is totally dark. If anyone has any idea of what types of bulbs this bit of the dash takes I'd be very grateful for your assistance.

Thanks in advance
ICB

A Telford website developer with a Bongo
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: My heater dash is very dull

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Very warm welcome. :D

Someone will have ideas, I'm sure. :wink:
ICBongo
Bongonaut

Post by ICBongo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 am

ooops... sorry forgot to say, it's a 1996 diesel with A/C. The heater controls are the type that you need a 2 pronged radio removing wire tool to get out.
ICB

Coradia63
Bongonaut

Post by Coradia63 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi,

Bit of a late reply so you may of already sorted this! there are small bulbs fitted in the back of the control panel 3x in total one for the fan switch, one for the vent position and one for the temperature setting they are a standard R284 type the ones fitted in mine were 1.2 watts but a I fitted 2.3watt bulbs to brighten it up a bit to remove the control panel you need to disconnect the three cables that control the vent /heater flaps there is one in the passenger & one in drivers footwell and the one under the bonnet easy to unclip you need to do this to allow you to pull the control panel out enough to get to the bulbs, the control panel is removed by inserting pins in the four holes similar to car stereos once out enough the bulb holders just twist to unlock and remove a bit fiddly easier with long nose pliers a good tip test the bulbs work before putting the panel and cables back on!

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/uk/prod ... Bulbs/R284

The parts link doesnt show all three bulbs its part 61-C95

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#12
1995 Ford Freda 2.5 TD 4x4 AFT
ICBongo
Bongonaut

Post by ICBongo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:13 am

Hi

Many thanks for the help - much appreciated.
ICB

Return to “Techie Stuff”