First time working on a bongo. Remote central locking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BigMatB
Junior Bongonaut

First time working on a bongo. Remote central locking

Post by BigMatB » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi guys n gals.

Bongo newbie here. I'm just making a start on customising our Bongo and have a couple of jobs to do. Have turned middle seat around ready for fitting the rear conversion, easy enough. Got some wiring to add in next - First thing I want to do is fitting remote central locking. Looks like I need the remote unit and a solenoid to drive the drivers door lock. Was thinking of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270869869825? ... 1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190320342026? ... 1423.l2649

Was wondering if anyone else had used these or similar items. Or if you'd recommend specific ones for bongos.

Also if there are any pit falls or easy mistakes to make when doing these? Has anyone had any problems I can learn from before I order and fit?

Cheers All and hope to catch up with some of you soon.

Mat.
To fully enjoy life one must take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: First time working on a bongo. Remote central locking

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:39 am

Any should do but I would get one that has a sliding cover over the buttons as mine will work from the back garden to the other side of the road, so if pressed in your pocket it may unlock with out you knowing
BigMatB
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BigMatB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks Winchman.

Didn't know that was an option. I've got a remote for my garage, which is one button for open/stop and close. Regularly have the issue of not being sure if I hit it a second time. I'll have a look for one with a cover, that's a great idea.

Thanks for the tip.

Presume the work is easy enough though yeah?
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 pm

No idea its not rocket science but some people find it easy to some its like doing a brain transplant, depends on your DIY skills
Take photos, plan, test it before and after
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:13 am

Given your first post, turning the seat round - some people do find that a challenge.

As you have managed that OK, I would expect the remote locking to be no great issue.

Permanent 12v is available inside the door (check the online wiring diagrams). Mount the remote unit in the door, attached to the bracing rib. Mount the solenoid at the bottom rear corner of the door, and use linked-up pushrods to actuate the locking.

There is a factsheet in the members' area

DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
BigMatB
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BigMatB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 am

HI Guys,

Just to update everyone, got my central locking fitted. Opening the door no issue - keeping that muck that holds the membrane in place out of my shirt and jeans - not so easy. Electrics turned out simple enough, I also mounted a 12v socket inside the door to run our sat nav. Our sat nav is now mounted onto the little quarter light window so its out of main eye line, but sits right next to the right hand mirror when driving. The other halfs idea, and got to say it works out quite nice!

Only issue I came across was mounting the solenoid, the push bar that came with it wasn't long enough to allow me to mount it tidily anywhere so after an hour of scrapped arms and language learnt from my dads time in the Navy, I eventually mounted it right at the bottom of the door and made a new push rod for it. Wire coat hanger to the rescue!

Now works lovely. Thanks for the help guys, and credit for the fitting guide too.

Cheers All!

Mat.
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am

Glad to see you got t working.

Did you use the ones you linked to from eBay?

Thinking of doing the same but was a bit unsure of the quality of the items given the price!!
BigMatB
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BigMatB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:32 am

I did use the remote unit, however the solenoid I picked up was different, only because the seller was on holiday though.

The remote unit was a decent size, but the instructions on it were less than ideal. took a bit of head scratching to make it work. The key if anyone else ever uses this is that the remote unit only internally switches relays. You have to connect up additional positives and negatives to those wires in a configuration that works for you.

I'll try and draw something up and post it here for anyone else to see. Once I worked that out (which isn't explained anywhere) the unit worked great.

It also has extra outputs on it to flash indicators, sound horn etc if you want to run them right through the door, but they will require extending the cables and getting them through the door wiring, I decided it wasn't worth the extra hassle, but its all there as part of the kit.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Just it have any form of security built in such as a rolling code, or is it one where the signal can be readily copied, stored & re-used by suitable cloning device?

Many garage door openers operate on 315Mhz and universal 'learning' replacement remote controls can be bought for as little as £5.99 on ebay. From such an ebay listing: "With this remote cloner you can clone all 315MHz fixed code key fobs, If your remote uses the 315MHZ frequency and is using a fixed code it will work with the remote duplicator (note: rolling code remotes will not work)." The instructions say both devices need to be held next to each other, so the operating range may be quite limited, but anyone with basic understanding of how RF systems work would easily be able to add a more sensitive antenna or signal booster.
BigMatB
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BigMatB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:21 am

Hi Simon.

At less than £20 all in I'm guessing, security wise it's probably not the greatest. But since you can open most vehicles with a coat hanger and some determination I figured its not too much of a change. Most valuable thing in the bongo that's removable is my cool box full of meat. If someone had my bacon and sausage there would be hell to pay!

But you are right for the security conscious it's not the best solution. For someone who just wants to be able to open and close the doors with out having to walk to the drivers side each time, it does the job. Thankfully I don't think bongos create as bigger target as the VW campers, just one more reason to love them! Give me substance over a name tag any day!
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:28 pm

BigMatB wrote:I did use the remote unit, however the solenoid I picked up was different, only because the seller was on holiday though.

The remote unit was a decent size, but the instructions on it were less than ideal. took a bit of head scratching to make it work. The key if anyone else ever uses this is that the remote unit only internally switches relays. You have to connect up additional positives and negatives to those wires in a configuration that works for you.

I'll try and draw something up and post it here for anyone else to see. Once I worked that out (which isn't explained anywhere) the unit worked great.

Did you ever get round to drawing something up. Where did you take the extra connections from. Bought the remote unit and an actuator. Thought i just had to get a supply to the remote unit and then onto the actuator so when you pressed the button it passed the live feed to the actuator, but then i'm not great with electrics!!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:53 am

Hi
Talking of remote door openers, I have one....Him Indoors jumps out of the car, and opens the big steel gates to the yard!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Bongo is parked in the barn, and the Jeep is in the yard...really too lazy to put the Jeep in the garage on t'other side!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:36 am

After alloy wheels and fog lights, remote locking would be the last non-essential modification I would dream about!

You'll still need the key if you park in the vicinity of a UHF transmitter.

No 1 Bongo mod is a low coolant alarm.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:03 am

@BigMatB

I'm hoping to fit something similar and wondered if you ever got around to drawing anything up? I did look in the members area and there was a sheet on fitting central locking but some of the text was unreadable and it looks like a different system completely :(

help would be great thanks

--------------
Bit of a back story: I was broken into and they damaged my drivers lock. I intend to only replace this one lock (cheapest option) but don't really like the idea of having a separate key for ignition and for door so figured the key would be my backup and I'd install CL for ease of access. Plus I've been meaning to add central locking since I got Buddy so this has just spurred me on.
"Tents aren't soundproof" - '95 2.4DT AFT - "Buddy"
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:11 am

If you send me an Email address via PM I will send you a diagram of how I wired mine, I used a cheap Ebay kit with covers over the buttons.

Return to “Techie Stuff”