Noisy side door

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Steptoe
Bongonaut

Noisy side door

Post by Steptoe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:37 pm

The self-closing sliding door mechanism is noisier than I would like, especially in the middle of the night. Are they all like this, or is there something I can do to quieten things down a bit? I don't want to disable it, as it is useful.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Noisy side door

Post by Gasy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 pm

EARPLUGS
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:45 pm

... already use them against the snoring!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Clean the runners and a light greasing?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 pm

The problem is not the sliding, but the motors which pull the door shut after the first "click".
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 pm

They are a bit noisy even at the best of times. Try spending a night at a Bongo meet and you'll here them all night long :). Often if you close it gently it will latch closed but not engage the motor so you could try that.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:24 pm

You can disable the motor altogether if you don't want it. We just use the close it slowly and don't engage the motor method :D
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Slowly is the key with that sliding door, don't slam it like a sliding van door and it should last a hell of a lot longer.
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Again, it's not the slamming of the door, but the whining of the motor as and after it closes that I am asking about.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Is it the internal or external noise you are concerned about? You could try adding some acoustic matting inside the metal door skin and around the motor which will be very fiddly.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Steptoe wrote:Again, it's not the slamming of the door, but the whining of the motor as and after it closes that I am asking about.

Remove the door card and check the drive gear and motor are well lubricated, and the gear is not worn. You should be able to pin point the noise easier with the card removed.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm

The motor isn't that loud in my experience. Try opening the door up and giving it some lubrication perhaps?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:07 pm

I personally find the hummmm and whirring quite soothing :P
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:19 pm

What noise are you on about
I'd try giving it some lubrication
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:49 am

OK. Had it all out last night and found the cause. The motor bearing were dry and squeaking. Closing the door was OK, but as the mechanism reset after the door was closed, it was squealing (like a stuck pig, but not quite so loud!).

Although I also took the cover off the worm drive and regreased it, this was not strictly necessary.

1) Remove 3 bolts, unclip the lock lever and remove the 2 larger plugs from underneath. loosen the cable nut to release the cable outer from the mech, then also slide out the cable nipple. You can then manoeuvre the mechanism away from the door.

2) Undo the 3 pozidrive screws holding the motor to the worm drive, and remove the motor. Might be sensible at this point to mark the position of the gears to ensure it is in this same position before you reinstall the motor. With the motor removed, try turning the spindle. In my case, it was squeaking indicating a dry bearing. It will feel 'notchy' as it is a DC motor, but it should not feel 'rough'. You can apply 12v power to the exposed terminals to test it (in both directions).

3) There are small holes on the drive end of the motor, so if you hold it with this end upwards you should be able to spray some GT85 or similar down into it. Don't overdo it! This should provide some lubrication to the bottom bearing.

4) Might as well grease up the worm drive at this point prior to rebuilding.

5) Check the gears are in the marked place prior to reinstalling the motor, and tightening the 3 screws.

6) Reinstall the mechanism into the door following the reverse of the above. Don't forget to tighten the cable locknut to keep this in place.

Job done. Now the 'close' noise is the same as the 'reset' noise. Would like it to be quieter still, but this certainly helped.

Return to “Techie Stuff”