Cleaning the front fan / heater housing and motor.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Cleaning the front fan / heater housing and motor.

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:26 pm

Chatting to Ady during the Bash it turned out that he had a air fan housing in the back of the van for cleaning up and refubishing, so took the chance to get some photo's of the likely damage and process. Click the image below for the details;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Cleaning the Air fan housing and motor.

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:34 pm

That's interesting. Seems rusting is the problem? If so, what's the cause I wonder and would all Bongos have the problem. Any reports on how much improvement to motor once cleaned etc? And is it easy to get the little bleeder out? Must admit I'm treating mine as 'if it aint bust leave well alone' at present. :roll:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:39 pm

The water comes from overflowing the window screen gutter and by being sucked/rammed in from the air intake. The water then rusts/corrodes the internals, causing the motor to draw too much current, this then causes the thermal fuses on the resistor pack to pop and disconnect the fan on one or more speed settings. Before you repair the resistor pack, it really is necessary to clean out the motor housing, otherwise it continues for a short while and then pops again :-(
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:42 pm

g8dhe wrote:The water comes from overflowing the window screen gutter and by being sucked/rammed in from the air intake. The water then rusts/corrodes the internals, causing the motor to draw too much current, this then causes the thermal fuses on the resistor pack to pop and disconnect the fan on one or more speed settings. Before you repair the resistor pack, it really is necessary to clean out the motor housing, otherwise it continues for a short while and then pops again :-(

Ah! Knew that but misread 'back of the van' in your post as this being a rear heater unit. #-o

Did my front one in situ some years ago and hopefully been kept dry since :-)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:45 pm

thanks for the great pics geoff, much easier sometimes to see whats wrong.

can one of the mods please maybe tweek the title so it includes the words front and heater and fix just to help others when they search for it later. :)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:25 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:thanks for the great pics geoff, much easier sometimes to see whats wrong.

can one of the mods please maybe tweek the title so it includes the words front and heater and fix just to help others when they search for it later. :)
Sorted :)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Cleaning the front fan / heater housing and motor.

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks simon. 8)
clutha
Bongolier

Post by clutha » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Got me curious now, where is the rear heater fan?

My front fan stopped working a few months ago and the advice on here was invaluable in stripping it out. I had nothing like shown in the above pictures but it certainly didn't turn freely. Bottom bearing was loaded with gunge and the speed control had melted.

During the strip out I found a felt 'washer' at the bottom bearing. I'm sure its a lubrication device, which I liberally soaked in oil. As its probably lasted 19 years I hope it lasts a few more :lol:
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Rear fan is in the rear heater unit which is located in a void in the side panel behind the drivers seat (effectively in the same size space as the step on the passenger side). As it's away from the elements it does not tend to suffer any problems.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I have a drivers side conversion ... but I can still turn the rear fan on/ off from the digital panel ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:01 pm

Some conversions take the unit out, however we have a side conversion and it was left in position and works very well, great to switch it on from the front and cool/heat the back before arriving at a destination.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Good post Geoff, I took mine apart and no rust and generally clean. The fan didn't freely spin for 10 seconds though. I checked the spindle bearing and oiled them, bearings were good condition no rust or pitting but the fan still wouldn't free rotate for more more than a few spins with or without the brushes in.

I think I've forgotten how powerful the fans were when I first got the bongo but it doesn't seem that powerful these days. Resistor is ok as fans spped is ok on all settings

Any ideas

Return to “Techie Stuff”