I is fick!! how do i fit a leisure battery???

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

deekay

I is fick!! how do i fit a leisure battery???

Post by deekay » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:37 pm

after reading a few posts, i have decided to remove my additional (winter) battery and fit a leisure battery. i would like it to be charged from the alternator via a split relay and supply the rear cigarette socket and possibly (if not to complicated ) the interior lights. also it would be handy if this was bypassing the ignition so as to not leave it on all the time while static, i want to mainly supply a compressor fridge and possibly an invertor (wattage undecided, suggestions welcome!) my questions
is this overly complicated?
is there an easier solution to achieve the same or similar ends ?
if it is practical, how would i do it ? (primary school intruction if poss! i still read the instruction on the light bulb boxes)

many thanx :?
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:12 pm

Fitting a leisure battery and split charging system is not difficult and is by far the best solution if you intend to do much camping where you will remain on site for a period of time. (Longer than just overnight). You can re-route the accessories to run from the leisure battery by taking them from their own small fusebox, obtainable from an auto-electrician or possibly Halfords. This will completely bypass the ignition.

Try doing a search on this site for split charging, as I am sure there is a lot more detailed info on there.
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:46 am

I found this site explained it all simply

http://www.kampenwagen.co.uk/Electrickery.html
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:50 am

Easy peasy

CarAudio_James

Relay's for split charging

Post by CarAudio_James » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:03 am

My understanding of split charging is that the Relay is a meaty piece of kit and fairly expensive, as it is a heavily uprated relay to deal with the possible current involved.

Pretty sure you should be using more than just a standard automotive switching relay.

Out of interest how often have you changed your 10A fuse? :?: ??
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:28 am

Many members use this Smartcom relay from towsure
http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=1828

It negates the need for the alternator wire and is clever in that it monitors the charge and cuts in when engine is charging.
Barnet Al

Post by Barnet Al » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:27 pm

I ordered the item shown on the Towsure site, (which isn't the Smartcom) but the Smartcom is what they sent me anyway. When I queried this with Towsure they said they send whatever they happen to have in stock at the time, so be aware. The Smartcom looks as though it was assembled from a Maplin kit but seems to function O.K.

I would suggest though only using it to switch a heavier relay as others on this site have had units burn out when trying to charge a fully discharged battery.

I used a 70amp relay as the second relay with 50 amp fuses and a hefty cable, which seems to have worked fine so far, all bought from Vehicle Wiring Products in Ilkeston, about £23 for the lot. They have a very comprehensive website which is worth a look anyway, Google will find it.

Alan
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:07 am

The system I used on my last boat was wired exactly as in Dave's diagram above, but used 50 amp instead of 10 amp fuses. The relay itself was a simple one from Halfords, but capable of carrying about 60 amps continuously across the contacts. It wasn't expensive.

Don't need a split charge system on my current boat as it has twin engines and therefore two separate batteries, each capable of starting either or both engines.

Return to “Techie Stuff”