Central locking odd behaviour

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gripped
Bongolier

Central locking odd behaviour

Post by Gripped » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:00 pm

The central locking works, but there is a delay of about 5 seconds after the drivers door button pops up before the other doors open.

Any idea for this delay in the central locking??
Kern0wsan
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Central locking odd behaviour

Post by Kern0wsan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Exactly the same is happening with mine - sometimes a longer delay before passenger and sliding door opens. Intermittent too :?

2.5TD AFT Pre facelift if that helps
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Are you sure its not just an intermittent connection in the wiring loom? It might make after you open the drivers door and so triggers the other doors.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:41 pm

mine does the same actually, only recently though. I have remote locking too (DIY). So when i unlock, drivers door unlocks straight away, before i get the van the others open, but certainly a delay. Nowt to do with opening the door as i haven't touched the door by this point. I wondered if mine was due to less use, whether it was a current/low battery thing as the van has been taken out of daily use.
I repaired all my wires in the door (all of them, tedious) so i don't think it is that for me.
I should really put the battery on charge to rule that one out actually.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:50 pm

callum wrote:mine does the same actually, only recently though. I have remote locking too (DIY). So when i unlock, drivers door unlocks straight away, before i get the van the others open, but certainly a delay. Nowt to do with opening the door as i haven't touched the door by this point. I wondered if mine was due to less use, whether it was a current/low battery thing as the van has been taken out of daily use.
I repaired all my wires in the door (all of them, tedious) so i don't think it is that for me.
I should really put the battery on charge to rule that one out actually.
I've got exactly the same problem, my doors are on the leisure battery circuit though
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:43 pm

The door locks will be on BOTH batteries!
The control signal is fused by the top left fuse which is permanent power and often the first fuse moved over to the LB.
The power for operating the door locks themselves however are on the 4th from the left top;
this one is NOT normally moved to the LB!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a poke around.

Ours also has an aftermarket remote alarm which allows the central locking to work off the alarm fob. But I don't think it is to do with the remote. More likely the central locking itself. Also, this is before I even touch the drivers door, which rules out a wire being re-connected.

It is intermittent too. It took about 15 seconds before the other door locks opened tonight. Then, later on, I tried them OPEN/CLOSE OPEN/CLOSE OPEN/CLOSE OPEN/CLOSE and all was back to normal - instant opening and closing all together.

Very strange. If it was a wire, then why the delay? Is there a relay which controls the central locking? If so, perhaps the relay is getting old and crotchety.

What would having them on different batteries do ? I'm pretty sure both batteries are ok.

For info, ours is a pre-facelift AFT diesel. 20 years old this year !
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:06 pm

g8dhe wrote:The door locks will be on BOTH batteries!
Of course but if the feed to the aftermarket receiver for the remote is picking up power via a good SB but the remaining solenoids are on my knackered LB then they'd be slower?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Yes you can get a variable delay due to damage in the wiring loom! What happens is that the individual wires break within the insulation - but not all at the same spot, then connectivity only exists because the individual strands are touching, however these are subject to corrosion and so a very thin layer of corrosion builds up between the wires insulating them from each other, this breaks down when a voltage is applied but not immediately - the delay - this can vary from a few milliseconds to several seconds hence the weird delays which occur.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 am

Cheers Geoff
That'd explain why the delay is less with the engine running and warmer sunnier days when the solar panel is charging

I've just rewired the loom though
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 am

When you say you re-wired the loom did you replace all the wires?
After that there is still scope for problems as the two wires from the switch feed directly into a bistable circuit so any partial contact or highr resistance will affect timing as well :-(
http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/bwmanualm.htm? ... cks_Module
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Apologies meant cut out and replaced all damaged wires, I tested for continuity but not for resistance - All wires were tested though. I did that work because the central locking had packed up and it worked fine once I repaired the cables. Clearly there's another one on the way out. I'm upgrading the alarm in the near future so will just do all the remaining wires then
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sat May 28, 2016 10:34 am

Well.

Problem solved !!

It seemed to me that a wiring problem was unlikely, since the drivers door lock always pops up fine, it's just the long delay while the other doors open afterwards.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a replacement (used) central locking relay from Bongo Spares.

http://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/contr ... ing-relay/

The relay lives in the passenger footwell behind the glove box. Fairly easy to remove and replace.

Pressed the fob, all doors open with no delay !!!
Last edited by Gripped on Sat May 28, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 28, 2016 10:45 am

Gripped wrote:Well.

Problem solved !!

It seemed to me that a wiring problem was unlikely, since the drivers door lock always pops up fine, it's just the long delay while the other doors open afterwards.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a replacement (used) central locking relay from Bongo Bits.

http://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/contr ... ing-relay/

The relay lives in the passenger footwell behind the glove box. Fairly easy to remove and replace.

Pressed the fob, all doors open with no delay !!!
Excellent. My central locking is playing up also so might try this though i think its a poor connector block connection (also behind glovebox) in my case. Presume you meant to write Bongo Spares (George/Yorkshire) and not Bongo Bits (who are/were Plymouth based i think)?
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sat May 28, 2016 10:50 am

Sorry - yes, changed to Bongo Spares.

Good luck !

Return to “Techie Stuff”