Buying a 2.5 V6

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

PilotLight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Buying a 2.5 V6

Post by PilotLight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 am

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum, I own a Toyota Landcruiser and have nearly bought a Bongo many times over the years but I think now is finally the time!

I have seen a very clean low milage 1999 2.5 V6 import at £7k

Before I take the plunge is there anything I should look out for with these? I have read as much as I can find and it seems all engine variants are solid and reliable. My 3.0 Landcruiser will go on forever I'm sure but I quite like the idea of a quieter petrol now! :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Andy
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Buying a 2.5 V6

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:54 am

Welcome!
You should find the V6 is nice and quiet, not many problems reported on the V6 engine. Only problem I've had is a blockage in the oil feeds to the hydraulic lifters which caused concern for several months (and a lot of tappet noise!!!) however after a couple of oil changes and flushes the blockage cleared and its been fine since, but I've not heard of others complaining about this so don't thinks its a common problem.
Normal checks for the cooling system, there are a lot of pipes in any Bongo given the mid-engine position and dual air con so do check the state of the pipework as leaks in a pressurised system are not a good idea!
Rust on the chassis is again the same on all versions, wheel arches and cross members followed by cills, they tend to rust from the inside out so once you see a bubble its already too late, so make sure of the wax oiling underneath and that its been maintained.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
PilotLight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PilotLight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Thanks Geoff,
It's only done 40,000 miles so it's clean as a whistle underneath and everywhere in fact! I will get it undersealed as the first job.
I've heard about the cooling system issues so I will see if I can get an alarm fitted.
I'll post up some photos when it arrives, fingers crossed it as good as it looks on the interwebs!
Andy
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:42 pm

Welcome aboard. :D

Good tips from Geoff, and there's useful info here:

https://igmaynard.co.uk/buying/
PilotLight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PilotLight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks, all good tips.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:00 pm

We used to have a Landcruiser. The Bongo is such a different vehicle to drive. No bonnet extentension! 😉
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
PilotLight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PilotLight » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 pm

I'm looking forward to a little more peace and quiet! :D
It's an amazing truck and I will miss the Landcruiser but a 3-litre commercial-grade diesel engine is not the most refined lump!
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm

I’ve have had a 2001 v6 for a year after the body work on my diesel got beyond my ability. It had only been in U.K. since 2018 so was clean underneath. Mechanically just make sure cambelt and cam oil seals have been done. I’ve done all the fluid changes just incase and aside from that I found a tiny coolant leak on big water pipes from top front of the engine so replaced those and an oil leak drivers side from rocker gasket, replaced that found one of the studs cracked these aren’t that strong 3nm or something tightening torque so just make sure your garage are careful. Mine was badly repaired but I gave it a bit of TLC and it’s much better now

I expect that radiator will split at the plastic bit at some point but hopefully not much else other than routing maintenance
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:17 am

2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
PilotLight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PilotLight » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:11 pm

Thanks, that's useful info.
It arrived yesterday and everything seems fine, very clean all over including the engine, a tiny leak from the rocker cover but I've heard that's quite common, but there does seem to be a musty smell of coolant from inside the car and outside, like a musty moisture smell if that makes any sense? The header tank is at the max level but maybe there is a leak somewhere that is evaporating onto something hot and causing that smell?

I can't see any signs on either side of the engine bay or under the bonnet.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:04 am

It may be due to storage, valeting etc But it has been mentioned before on the forum, sometimes linked to the aircon function.

If you click on 'search' at the top of the forum, then put the words musty smell into the search box, you'll find a few likely causes.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
TimmyCarson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TimmyCarson » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:32 pm

"We used to have a Landcruiser. The Bongo is such a different vehicle to drive."
I agree. Of course, I'm not saying that one is better than the other. All I'm trying to say is that they're both polar opposites. Recently, I found out that mounting a good set of Dick Cepek tires on the Land cruiser definitely makes it as safe and comfortable as riding a Bongo. In spite of their pros and cons, they both stand out above the rest.

Return to “Bongo Chat”