Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

steve alan

Re: Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Post by steve alan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:07 pm

My van just arived & still has all 8 seats & yet the log book states PLG motor caravan (not a sign of anything kitchen in it)
as I am going to convert it (I asume) don't matter anyway,but would that invalidate insurance? it also states in the log book 8 seats????
steve
downward dog
Bongolier

Post by downward dog » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:17 pm

My Bongo is due in the next week or so, and due to lack of choice and apathy it looks like I will be doing my own conversion this winter... I have just read this thread and am more confused than when I started! Some posts are over 2 years old, some contradict others, I can't work it out... if I buy unconverted then convert i will pay £1000...but will I?, then do I pay 200 or 400 in tax...when..?..why!!!... what should I look for on the reg document before I buy? . Is there anywhere on BF where the current situation is easily and logically laid out?...I also vaguely understand there are new rules coming in over the next 18months....maybe an updated factsheet that states that it always carries only the current information?
Did this ought to be linked to the 'Conversion' thread?
Coffee time I think! :lol: :lol:
Bongo_ponk

Post by Bongo_ponk » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Ian wrote: ...

The band that your vehicle falls in to is based on the date it was first registered in the UK, NOT the date it was manufactured.

Look at your V5 document ...

If you are not registered as a Motor Caravan, and a CO2 figure is shown in Part 4 of the V5, you will pay £400 up to 31 March 2009, and £440 from 30 April 2009. This is based on a CO2 figure of 302 gm/km. Different rates may apply for later model petrol Bongos.

If you are not registered as a Motor Caravan, and no CO2 figure is shown in Part 4 of the V5, you will pay £185 up to 31 March 2009, and £200 from 30 April 2009.
#-o
I haven't bought my bongo - yet. I'm trying to work out what the road tax will be. The dealer hasn't got the v5 document yet presumably that comes when they get the SVA? So will that be the date it is first registered in the uk? How will I know in advance whether the bongo I am hoping to buy will have a CO2 figure on it's yet to be issued V5? Seems a lot rests on this I.e 200 a year or 400 a year tax?

If it makes any difference I am looking at a year 1999 petrol or year 2000 diesel?

Have searched the forum and can't find the answer. Can anyone help? Thanks
lpgimports
Bongolier

Post by lpgimports » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:57 pm

If it is unregistered and a fresh import it will be 112.75 6 months, make sure this is the true situation as the very few that are around which were registered with a C02 figure no one wants due to the 400 per annum tax, so they take plates off and tax disc and make them look like a fresh car unless you ask you wont know...

Paul
Bongo_ponk

Post by Bongo_ponk » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:22 pm

lpgimports wrote:If it is unregistered and a fresh import it will be 112.75 6 months, make sure this is the true situation as the very few that are around which were registered with a C02 figure no one wants due to the 400 per annum tax, so they take plates off and tax disc and make them look like a fresh car unless you ask you wont know...

Paul
Thanks for your reply Paul. A couple of questions ...
Do you know how some bongos ended up with CO2 figures and fresh imports now do not?

And

How will I know that my dealer is selling me a 'fresh' import?

Cheers
longwori
Bongolier

Post by longwori » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Mine is registered as an 8 seat PLG with no CO2 figure but I was planning on re-registering it as a camper with four seats. Am I at risk of bumping my road tax up if I do this?

I was wanting to re-register as when I was getting insurance quotes I was told that more companies would quote for me if it was classed as a camper on the V5. However I dont want to save £50 a year on car insurance and then pay out an extra £200 on road tax!

Thanks,

Ian
Aqua V6 AFT with side conversion
lpgimports
Bongolier

Post by lpgimports » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 am

Some were registered using the ESVA scheme and model reports prior to April 2009 these would have CO2 figures. Under 10 years ones now have IVA tests these do not require a model report and so no CO2 figure is used and are done on engine size only.

Trying to change class to Motor Caravan will likely trigger DVLA wanting to inspect it before changing type, they will want it to be a proper motor caravan, only a full side conversion with cooking facilities and running water, proper bed will keep them happy for this, throwing a duvet pillows and a single ring gas stove in the back wont cut it with them.

Paul
longwori
Bongolier

Post by longwori » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Paul & others,

Mine is a side conversion with sink, pull out bed, hob etc and I was going to provide photos when i submitted my change so I dont think it will be a problem reclassifying it. However if I do I would like it to end up in such a way as I dont pay a massive road tax bill each year.

As my V5 currently does not show the CO2 at the moment will I be ok following the classiffication change or do you think they will add the CO2 value and I will then end up paying huge road tax bills as per the opening post of this thread?

Thanks,
dinny66

Post by dinny66 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:08 pm

longwori wrote:Hi Paul & others,

Mine is a side conversion with sink, pull out bed, hob etc and I was going to provide photos when i submitted my change so I dont think it will be a problem reclassifying it. However if I do I would like it to end up in such a way as I dont pay a massive road tax bill each year.

As my V5 currently does not show the CO2 at the moment will I be ok following the classiffication change or do you think they will add the CO2 value and I will then end up paying huge road tax bills as per the opening post of this thread?

Thanks,
Hi

I've just got of the phone from the DVLA to ask about road tax as that is something that worries me too.
They tell me if it is registered as a PLG over 10 years old it's £205 pa (no IVA test). Re-registering as a motorcaravan / motorhome doesn't change the tax amount just the classification. He recommended taking photos of the conversion both during and after, and also all the receipts etc, so when requested you can provide the evidence to support the change.

Hope this helps.

Mike
longwori
Bongolier

Post by longwori » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, it gives me a bit more confidence to make the change. I dont have the receipts for the conversion as it was done by the prior owner but hopefully that wont be an issue as it is quite clear that it has been converted from the photos.

Cheers,

Ian
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:26 pm

registered uk 2006,body type;-motor caravan,tax class:-plg,no emissions listed
£126 for 6 months.Is that right?
98 4wd
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:47 pm

It will be £126.50 for 6 months and £230 for 12 (at the current rates) regardless of engine / body type / LPG / motorcaravan classification, etc. Only way to get it cheaper is to have it registered a disability vehicle.
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Simon Jones wrote:It will be £126.50 for 6 months and £230 for 12 (at the current rates) regardless of engine / body type / LPG / motorcaravan classification, etc. Only way to get it cheaper is to have it registered a disability vehicle.
Thanks!! It was only £77 for my 2.0 diesel focus :(
98 4wd
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:44 pm

...but would you want to cook, sleep and go camping in the back of a Focus? :)
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 am

Unless the rules have changed, changing the classification to a camper, as I did 2 years ago, changes nothing tax wise. Mine is still £200and something a year.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans

Return to “Bongo Chat”