Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ELZE
Supreme Being

Re: Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Post by ELZE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:24 am

rita wrote:
ELZE wrote:Regarding excise license costs and emissions, I hear yesterday that diesel 'thought now to be the pariah of fuels'

prices are dropping like a stone!

Here (Aberdeen) Asda have petrol and diesel @ same price 1.14. a ltr :!:

You can get Diesel in Whitley Bay area for 114.7 PPL, no need to go to Aberdeen for a bargain.

There is a Worldwide glut of oil at the moment and the price of a barrel of oil is very low. If the Government did not have as much tax on it you it might be as cheap as chips.
My home town Rita, I am only working here :lol: I posted that because it's most unusual to get fuel that cheap anywhere in Scotland. I am currently paying 84.4p for gas :roll: £1.14 pl in Scotland is something of a revelation Two weeks ago in in Stornoway Diesel around £1.32 pl

Happy days
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:59 am

ELZE wrote:Regarding excise license costs and emissions, I hear yesterday that diesel 'thought now to be the pariah of fuels'

The "dropping like a stone" bit is said to be the price of "old" diesel vehicles.

There are vested interests at work here, every so often we get these scare stories about diesel being nasty - but it is always "thought to be" and "suspected of" nothing is ever PROVED.

No one can produce the name of a single person that can be PROVED to be killed solely by the effects of diesel emissions.

I CAN tell you the name of someone who was killed SOLELY by the effects of petrol emissions, he was a friend of mine and he did it with a length of rubber hose because his wife was denying him access to his kids.
If only Chip had driven a diesel car instead of a petrol Vauxhall Omega, he might still be alive.

The truth is that petrol WILL kill you quickly and silently - diesel only MAY kill you, if you breathe enough of it for long enough and something else doesn't get you first.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:39 am

ELZE wrote:
rita wrote:

You can get Diesel in Whitley Bay area for 114.7 PPL, no need to go to Aberdeen for a bargain.

There is a Worldwide glut of oil at the moment and the price of a barrel of oil is very low. If the Government did not have as much tax on it you it might be as cheap as chips.
My home town Rita, I am only working here :lol: I posted that because it's most unusual to get fuel that cheap anywhere in Scotland. I am currently paying 84.4p for gas :roll: £1.14 pl in Scotland is something of a revelation Two weeks ago in in Stornoway Diesel around £1.32 pl

Happy days

You normally find that the best prices in Scotland are the Central Belt, or where there is lots of competition, its always more Expensive Up the Sticks. (for everything except Water)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Without shopping around for cheaper gas (LPG) I am paying 52p a liter ..

http://www.hiltonautogas.com/
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:04 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Without shopping around for cheaper gas (LPG) I am paying 52p a liter ..

http://www.hiltonautogas.com/
56.9 Newcastle
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:22 pm

When I visit my daughter in Birtley (Chester Le Street) she usually takes me to one by a B&Q .. or one in a little village a couple of miles away ..

Both a few pence dearer than back in Walsall ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 pm

The LPG Daddy is 'The gas station'on Pershore Road, Stirchley

39.9 PPL...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:41 pm

I was paying between 56p and 59p the other week in Somerset and Cornwall which is about as low as I've ever paid. Makes the cost of getting it converted worth while.
lucklesspedestrian
Bongonaut

Post by lucklesspedestrian » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Anyone any idea what the current rate is for a 2.5V6 registered as a campervan (first in this country in 2010). Looks like it was around £230 a few years back from earlier posts on this thread. I'm guessing maybe around £270 now??
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Now gone up to £265 this year (or was in May 2019)
PilotLight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PilotLight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 pm

Sorry to drag this post up again but I have been reading with interest and I was wondering if there is still a cheaper way to register your Bongo in the UK, I'm buying an import that will shorty be registered in my name, is it worth asking for it to be put under "Motorhome" or has that ship sailed so to speak?

Andy
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:54 pm

No don't try to get it classed as "Motorcaravan" you may well regret it!
There is bureaucratic in fighting going on between DVLA and DVSA, DVLA allocate the classification whilst DVSA have to try and spot vehicle types visually on the road.
At present DVSA appear to have won, they want the vehicle to be visually identifiable as it zips pass them without having to read the registration number ;-) So they really don't want to have to inspect the insides of your vehicle before they can workout was it a Car, Van, Van with windows or Motorcaravan :shock:
So now if its not visually clearly a Motorcaravan with a high roof and awning bar they reckon its a Van of some sort! Which may / may not involve a change in speed limits etc.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
PilotLight
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PilotLight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 pm

Blimey, sounds like a minefield! I've just heard today that it has already been registered last month when it arrived so that's not a decision I need to make now, thanks for the updated info.

Andy

Return to “Bongo Chat”