Jalimports

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

daniel
Apprentice Bongonaut

Jalimports

Post by daniel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:25 am

Hello everyone,

First time here so please excuse if I'm breaking the rules.

Looking to buy a bongo and wondered if anyone could give me advice/feedback on jalimports.co.uk?

Please PM me

Many thanks in advance

Daniel
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Jalimports

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Bought ours from Phil 10 years ago and still very happy.

Some find his sales technique a little 'Old Fashioned' but he supplies good vehicles without the high overheads of a fancy show room. :wink:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Ditto what Bob says. He sources good bongos.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
daniel
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by daniel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Many thanks
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Just picked ours up from Phil. He is an unusual character but he knows his stuff and his vehicles seem to be of an excellent quality. So far we are very pleased with ours.
Gill
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Sound. :D
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Everything they've said!
Though never bought from them (never ended up buying a new import), I find Phil's advice a little blinkered and too black and white. Good intentions, but worth taking a step back to make sure that it suits your own personal circumstances and preferences.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:06 pm

cmm303 wrote:Everything they've said!
Though never bought from them (never ended up buying a new import), I find Phil's advice a little blinkered and too black and white. Good intentions, but worth taking a step back to make sure that it suits your own personal circumstances and preferences.
Yep! Do your homework first.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Quinny
Bongonaut

Post by Quinny » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:21 pm

As above, but I will also say that if you want something, he doesn't want you to have, dig your heels in. For example we wanted a skylift roof with a zipped ventilation window as we had researched and read that without this they can get very hot. Phil did not want us to have this, not altogether sure why, but I'm sure he had his reasons. I now have a Skylift roof with ventilation!!!
Gill
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks for advice I've read on here. on here. I think I may have the good fortune of meeting Phil next week.
A 2002 V6 32,000 miles Grade 3.5 in AQUA/silver with choice of roof, thinking hard high top.
Any negotiating tips please pm. :lol:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 am

A grade 3.5 is not the best ... ask to look at the auction sheet to check why ..

Mine was a LPG / JAL a 1998 V6 mushroom roofed .. excellent mechanically .. had her for around five+ trouble free years .. conversion left a bit to be desired as the leckiy system in particular left a bit to be desired ...

I rust proofed her myself and bodily she was also in VG condition .. Grandson wrote her off last November .. even after haggling with the insurance and having an independent inspection the max./ final payout he got £5500

I have a V6 Toyota Alphard now which I love .. but do admit to miss me Bongo ..!!

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o115 ... a2935d.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o115 ... ngoint.jpg
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks Mike. Good condition indeed and I can see my first mushroom roof photo!

Good tip on 3.5 grade. Had already asked for my auction sheet and it has a number of letters from the alphabet on it. They relate to minor dents , scratch, one S1 rust spot(pimple), chip in windscreen, small repair job well done. None visible in around 15 photos. Underneath photos good and inside seems good.
Enough doubt for me to not put a deposit down but to wait to inspect with the auction sheet in hand.
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 am

I bought mine from Phil one year ago. She was listed by Phil as a 3.5 to 4. When I saw her, she had a couple of dings in bumpers and inside, looked like a venue for a soy sauce food fight. All of these issues were corrected by Phil, as promised, by the time I picked her up. She was transformed compared with the first visit.

Yesterday, she had her MOT, and flew through with no advisories. When she was up on the ramp, I took the opportunity to have a look underneath, as I'd asked Phil to do a complete Waxoyl.

I was impressed with the thoroughness of the job, and the mechanic also told me that he had noticed several new parts (link arms and bushes etc) that Phil had put on the vehicle prior to the sale. He hadn't told me he was going to do this; he just got on and did it.

I mention these facts simply to put my experience out on the forum. Most people accept that Phil is a bit eccentric, and deals with his customers in a way that is not everyone's cup of tea. He is better for knowing (aren't we all?), and is a nicer guy when you meet him.

Like you, I took advice on the forum before I took the plunge, and the general consensus was exactly what some members have advised; "Do your homework", "Persevere, and you will get there".

All I can tell you is essentially, follow the advice, but if you want a good Bongo that is well prepared after import and will serve you well, Phil would be hard to beat.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks for input. Great colour the Caribbean Blue. Thought about it but have had Aqua for 10 years and love it. Three questions you may be able to help with:

1.So he sorted out the dings for you? That's good as there are a few invisible from the photos on this one but on the auction sheet.

2.Have you the mesh sky Lift? If so does it ventilate the van on a hot day such as today? The ATF works a dream.

3. Also did you see any of Phil's high tops when with him? If so what did you make of them from an interior aspect?

Looking forward to meeting the man. 10 years on this forum has helped me prepare for the day!
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Yes, Phil repaired the dents and scuffs and did an excellent job of painting them - not an easy colour to get right on a respray.

Yes I had the mesh ventilation. I asked for it on the optional extras sheet that you will be asked to complete. No problem having it. It really helps.

No hi-tops viewed. Firstly because I never considered one (personal choice) and secondly Phil tends to keep his stock in unconverted condition so he can bespoke everything to customer spec. There are other options re conversions so consider them too. New Dawn are also very good for example.
Hope this helps.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.

Return to “Bongo Chat”