New to Ford Freda life

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

New to Ford Freda life

Post by Angel10 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:56 pm

I'm so confused the rear heat light on the dash board was fine and now when I press it lights up (which is all ok) when I turn of the light dims but can still see it, I'm confused as its only started to do this as before it just went black and couldn't see the a dimmer rear light sign on dash board any help would be great... I'm brand new to this and I've got of couple of faults just seeing if anyone as any advice thanks
Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

Re: New to Ford Freda life

Post by Angel10 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:53 pm

Angel10 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:56 pm I'm so confused the rear heat light on the dash board was fine and now when I press it lights up (which is all ok) when I turn of the light dims but can still see it, I'm confused as its only started to do this as before it just went black and couldn't see the a dimmer rear light sign on dash board any help would be great... I'm brand new to this and I've got of couple of faults just seeing if anyone as any advice thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi when you say rear heater do you mean the rear window demister or the rear Air Con. light ?
If its the Air Con. light which type of controls do you have, the older sliders or the Electronic Climate controls ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Angel10 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:31 pm

Thanks yes it's the button I press for rear window demister it all works for doing the job, it's a button near steering wheel that I press so I'm assuming its electronic (sorry I'm not very clued up) it worked fine till a few days ago and then I can't seem to get the picture which tells me it's on to go of (well it's a dim picture) button works fine just the picture that lights up on dash board won't fully disappear (which it did till a few days ago) hope that makes sense thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 pm

It sounds like the older slider controls as you say the switch is separate with its own light, in which case it could be as simple as a dirty set of switch contacts, especially if someone in the past has replaced the little filament bulb with an LED. Presumably the light does go out when you turn the ignition switch off ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Angel10 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Thanks for reply yes goes totally of when ignition turned of ive only just got the van a few weeks back and this as only started a few days ago so I was so confused to why? The back window works fine it's just annoying me why it won't totally go of when ignition is on (I thought I hadn't closed back door correctly) to be honest I'm clueless
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:28 am

Welcome aboard. 8)

Does this only happen when the vehicle lights are on? If so it's worth turning off head/side lights to see if that cures it (light bleeding through from dash lights possibly?).

And is it bright enough to see in daylight?

Geoff is our man, though. :wink:
Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Angel10 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 am

Thanks for reply :)

The light is on dim all the time bright when I switch on but dim when I turn it of (it use to go black when I switched of) I understand what your saying with side / front lights on, but this issue happens in day time with no front lights on, so I'm not sure but understand what your explaining.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:17 am

Yes, I would check the switch itself, give the contacts a clean and see if the bulb inside has been changed to an LED, after that the Black earth wire might be suspect either at the switch or where it is connected to chassis.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Angel10 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:31 am

Thank you so much for all your help arriviste it and I'm going to try to look for the earth wire I had a black plastic connecter fitted to front headlight and the guy had to weld the wires (I'm just thinking would this have caused it) I'm gunna look at the wiring first (do you know where the fuses are in the van??) sorry there a few bits I'm trying to look at...gunna start a new post on another problem as need a little advice around that aswell but thanks for all your support its great love this site πŸ™Œ
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:09 am

Fuses - There are three sets of fuses for the vehicle itself, the first set is on the +ve battery terminal arm the 100 Amp (Blue) is bolted in position. The second set are under a cover in the middle of the bonnet area, the final set are down by the drivers right knee, remove the cover plate in the dashboard to expose them.
All the fuses and bulbs are listed and described here, worth bookmarking the page
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Angel10 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:52 pm

thanks for all the info the last feedback was great really interesting I've been looking at the drop down for issues and fuses that can relate to it think it's bang on to be honest really appreciate your help πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ happy camper With a lot more knowledge now.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:35 pm

Angel10 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:31 am Thank you so much for all your help arriviste it and I'm going to try to look for the earth wire I had a black plastic connecter fitted to front headlight and the guy had to weld the wires (I'm just thinking would this have caused it) I'm gunna look at the wiring first (do you know where the fuses are in the van??) sorry there a few bits I'm trying to look at...gunna start a new post on another problem as need a little advice around that aswell but thanks for all your support its great love this site πŸ™Œ

Ask away, we'll try and help.

If you pop a rough location in your profile it's easier. :wink:
Angel10
Junior Bongonaut

Re: New to Ford Freda rubber seal on roof

Post by Angel10 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi just wondering if anyone knows any good advice around putting a new seal on roof of van I've bought one and now need to take old one of (which is very damaged and leaking) previous owner and I now want to put new one on just wondering if I'm able with advice from someone or would it be best to take to a expert thanks I'm from Sheffield and I'm able to take somewhere if that what the feedback suggest.... 😊😊
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Its not difficult, merely very tight working around the rear of the roof, plenty of soap and water to help ease it on.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to β€œBongo Chat”