Bike rack?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Treetalk
Bongonaut

Bike rack?

Post by Treetalk » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Hi all, I’m just toying with idea of getting a bike rack for my 2004 bongo - probably for only 1 bike.

I know it’s been asked about on this forum a hundred times, but any preferences for simplicity and ease in terms of getting bike on and off, as I’m not especially strong. I’d also need to get a mechanic of some kind - at shop or garage - to fit the bike rack on in the first place.

Also, when you’re travelling, do you just leave your bike locked on the rack at night - security question?

Thanks
MaryAnn
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Bike rack?

Post by Flanners » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Thule 973 on mine, an Amazon return for about £140 when I purchased it. Easy to fit with two people, try and get someone to help you if you can rather than paying out. I can carry two bikes, but usually just mine so one of my road or mountainbikes. Superb bike carrier easy to use, has never given me any issues. I bought the Thule lock to secure the carrier to the vehicle and it has locking mechanism on the securing arm to secure the bike, I also have a lock and D lock to secure it and the wheels to the rack when overnight wild camping somewhere or popping into a shop.

good thread that helped me viewtopic.php?t=47412
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Do you have a tow hitch?
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks Flanners.

Alkers, since I don’t know what a tow hitch is, I assume I haven’t got one :? !
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:40 pm

It's a tow bar. :)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Alkers/Doone,

Sorry for delay, I've been concerned with earthly duties away from my Bongo ...

I've taken a cursory "look". I can't see a tow bar or similar ... my bongo is a simple bongo, sitting quietly, no razzamatazz ....

I am aware that Thule 973 is a good bet from this thread, and others. I might pop to Halfords some carefree afternoon. Or bring the question up (casually, in conversation :lol: ) at the next Bongo meet up I go to. I want simple answers to simple questions - immediately. But sometimes there's a long and winding road ...

Thanks again!

Mary Ann
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:54 pm

If you had a tow bar, I was going to recommend a carrier that attaches to that. Can't help you otherwise I'm afraid.

Return to “Bongo Chat”