Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

tim.shaw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Introduction ...

Post by tim.shaw » Sat May 16, 2020 10:54 pm

Hi,

My name's tim.

I'm a recent re-joiner to BongoFury, but I was a member a while back. I've had my Bongo for 10 years(ish) now (and I've used the site in the meantime when I wanted to know something)
I'm introducing myself here, but the introduction is a bit long, so I'll ask the questions I have in Techie Stuff.
I hope this is the right place.
This isn't a plea for help or anything - I'm more than happy with how it's going.

Anyway.
I'm physically disabled - my right leg doesn't work, so I have to use crutches and can't do carrying etc - and my Bongo has been my 'space to got to' for the last 10 years.
It also takes me anywhere I want to go.
I'm a software professional, and play with electronics quite a lot. Done bikes and cars in the past.
My Bongo was born between July 1999 and August 2000 (roughly), V6, Aero Type 4 body(?). Black.
I got it directly from JAL, where it was converted from a tin-roof. Side unit : cooker, sink, fridge, cupboards; rock'n'roll, LPG and a mushroom.
I don't use the sink or fridge, and the cooker only for heating purposes :-) Bed bit's crucial - as it's also really comfy to sit/slouch, and I do use it for stopovers/freedom.
It has been regularly serviced, but not maintained, and I had to question what to do when it was obvious the MOT would fail (rust and general neglect).
I genuinely tried looking for something else that I would feel as comfortable with ... and failed.
So, armed with that experience, I decided I'd invest in getting the Bongo sorted for the next phase of it's (and my) life.
I thought 3 years is a decent loan/value/duration - and I definitely want it to last that long (as I intend to too)!
I've located a local garage (old-school and not Bongo-aware), who did some crucial welding (well) to get it through the MOT - I'm gonna try to keep him sweet.
Plan A (not ordered, just big plan):
Needed 1 : Get it through the MOT so that I can keep using it.
Needed 2 : Sort out Engine/Cooling properly - 100K+ and not had anything done. Engine blows?
Sort out electrics.
- Leisure system.
- Connectivity
Take out everything except the rock'n'roll bed (maybe replace) and turn the middle into a batchelor pad
Check, weld, sort, fill underneath (and whatever's required) for future, then underseal/waxoyl.
Check, weld, sort, fill bodywork for appearances.
Make sure running gear is sound. Brakes, exhaust, steering etc (works now)
Replace/fix exterior lights
Tidy up rear-view camera

I'm happy to say that I've got the Needed bits done.
It's passed the MOT (with the skills of a local garage - good with cars/doesn't know Bongo's).
Interesting experience getting the second one done :
I booked in with Martin at DRA ... just before Corona became a thing. I looked around the interweb, checked out a few, and settled on him as I liked his approach.
Boy was I right!
He offered exactly what I'd researched as being required - cambelt, seals, rad, ...
We agreed a week, so I dropped it off and drove back in a rental. I hasten to add that this was just on the cusp of the lockdown (Monday) ... and we both took distancing measures.
We'd discussed it, and most of his customers had cancelled so he phoned me the next day to tell me I could collect.
He'd worked flat out (there was a distinct possibilty I wouldn't be allowed to come back!)
It's been running sweet as a nut since. I haven't used it much tho' ...

Right now I'm doing the Leisure system.
The original was a Zig CF9 (electric hookup too) and I was never happy with it.
Everything is locked down and I'm working from home. Magic project - I can do it all indoors until ...
My Bongo is parked in an almost empty council car-park 200m from my door - it's my exercise, shopping, ... and there's definitely no party
I've just spent a very pleasant afternoon installing a Votronic VCC 1212-30 - lotsa real wires (I'm used to much smaller ones)
As I said, I've got a couple of questions before I can actually turn it on, but I'll do them elsewhere.
I also installed a switch unit to control power to the Pi and 4G-router and lights and ...
Lovely afternoon.

G'luck
tim
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Re: Introduction ...

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 am

Hi Tim, welcome to the Club, although I'm sorry no one has replied to your post yet. Still better late than never.

Look forward to meeting you one day.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:11 am

Second that. 8)

Appologies, don't know how I missed your post. :oops:

Warm welcome. :)
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:06 am

Good morning and welcome! :)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
tim.shaw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by tim.shaw » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Update (thanks for the welcomes) :

I got the leisure system working beautifully ... and found out my starter battery was no good either!
Have re-placed both and wired it all up, and it now 'just works'. Beautiful box which fits neatly onto the air intake(?), and wires together very tidily. I'll post a picture when I've cleaned up my engine a bit :-)

I had the side-unit and the rear-heater unit (thanks for the blanks Ian - worked a treat), taken out.
Then had a frame made for a side/taxi-seat (where the side-unit used to be) - same height as the rnr bed, so it's almost like a pickup when the bed's down and the cushions out.

There's so much more space inside now.

Current project is getting a Propex HS2000 fitted into the space where the rear heater went (behind the taxi-seat). Plenty of space, but the horizontal floor-pan doesn't have a big enough footprint to sit inside, so I need a base to mount it on. This will feed hot air out through the current air vents (under the taxi-seat) - combustion intake and exhaust happily exit under the van.

Hopefully I'll get this done fairly soon, as the evenings are colder now and it'll be my only port in a lockdown!

Hope all's well with you and yours.

tim
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Thanks Tim

Always good to have an update on a project. :)

Return to “Bongo Chat”