Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Exploring Bongo Ownership

Post by nesty » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi All
and hello
I have newly registered here. I have beeb a activate campervan-er for many years.
I haven’t got a Bongo, but I am exploring the option of one, as upon looks fits the bill for the campervan I am looking for, IE size, automatic, PAS, as my existing campervan sadly now not practical for my requirements now.
I am looking for a campervan with sink, fridge, hob, ideally down one side. I am open to option of buying a MPV version and then converting inside, but unsure how much this would be?
I am looking to maybe use as a 2nd vehicle, thus be looking for longer term ownership.
I don’t know what Bongo top is better the high top or the elevating roof & what engine preferably a petrol, never had a diesel before.
I probably will have more questions soon, but just exploring a basic plan.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Exploring Bongo Ownership

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:35 pm

Welcome!
How many people do you need to accommodate ? A full side conversion is nice for storage but the width of the R&R bed is cosy for two, we used to sleep one up one down which made for a much easier night, unless it was very windy for the AFT.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello Nesty, welcome to the Bongo Fury Forum. In terms of whether to get a Bongo with a kitchen unit pre-installed, or buying a Bongo and getting it converted, then it is probably cheaper to get one with the kitchen already installed. For instance, a company such as New Dawn Conversions will happily fit a new side unit in your Bongo and charge you about £5k for top quality kit. You can get it done cheaper ofcourse but there again you can pick up a good quality second-hand private sale with kitchen already installed for around £7k.

As to the elevating roof then that depends if you want to sleep up there or not. A high-top is good for storage, an AFT is good for sleeping. Others may disagree.

Petrol or diesel? Now, I'd go for petrol as I think there will be more clampdowns on diesels in the coming years, but diesel engines last longer if carefully maintained.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi All
Many thanks for those replies.
Sorry I forgot to add I am a solo camper.
In my current set up I have a rock and roll bed and used the upper pop top for storage, IE my luggage etc.
OK, so might be better just to plump for a already installed one then, then I suppose ready to go.
Ideally, I wouldn't mind an LPG,or getting a conversion done later on as my existing campervan is LPG & I didn't require leisure bottles & I found that quite convenient!
My aim is trying to get kinda similar requirements as found that suited my needs, though due to circumstances outside of my control I need a more straight forward drive now!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:33 pm

Welcome to BF. 8)

The main thing is to make sure the vehicle you're buying is in good shape, you don't want a great conversion on something which won't pass MoT, but they are to be had.

The later models are pretty much the 2 ltr petrol, which is the simplest engine, and may well suit your purpose. Good advice from Ian re anti diesel legislation getting worse.

That said, if you want 4 wheel drive it has to be oil fired.

Camping on my own I likely wouldn't worry about a lift up roof, nice to have, but not vital in my view, and bear in mind some of the after market roofs can be difficult to operate. Some are pretty good, but if you're looking at one be sure you can get it up and down OK.

There are some really nice High Tops out there, well worth taking a look and you could get this done later.

Enjoy your search, and once the Meets start up try and get along to one or two. That way you can chat to owners (who aren't sales people) and have a look at a selection for ideas. 8)
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:55 am

Many thanks for the replies on this, most helpful.

Hopefully, after the sale of my existing campervan, it should give me a decent budget to play with.

I am looking at long term ownership, I don't like changing vehicles, as when comfortable with vehicles I tend to stick with them, so don't mind paying out if it ticks my boxes for a long time, though as you say I might be able to do a roof conversion later on, I am near 6ft, I like to stand up in it around hob & sink, and without the roof conversion I doubt that possible (haven't got in a Bongo yet)!

Naturally looking at a Bongo for camping, but also as a vehicle, which can step in as commuter vehicle, possible daily runner, as my normal daily drive (not sure how many years that has in it), so I would prefer lower mileage, but know that comes at a price!

I like the idea of a 4x4, especially at wintertime, though other Bongo's are 2RWD, what are they like in weather conditions, are they ok being rear wheel drive?

Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:35 pm

They're pretty stable, and those with 2wd say they're pretty good in a muddy field, too.

On the 4wd the drive is normally only to the blunt end, some of the drive is directed to the front wheels automaticaly if it senses a rear wheel slipping, so normal driving you won't find any difference.

Obviously you don't have the ground clearence of a true off roader, but I've been grateful for it a good few times.

Bear in mind Ian's point about anti-diesel rules, all the 4x4s are oil burners.
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Ok many thanks for that information.
I am starting to feel that maybe the 2WD in 2L petrol version might suit my requirements. I live down south, I don't come into that much weather, but I suppose could fit semi winter tyres if that concerned?!

Bongos appear very popular and anything low mileage doesn't last long on the market.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Don't get too hung up on mileage, properly maintained (thanks Ady) they last for yonks :wink:
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:59 pm Don't get too hung up on mileage, properly maintained (thanks Ady) they last for yonks :wink:
Cheers many thanks. I do tend to keep to a decent service schedule, so something over 100k would give me more options.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:00 pm

Bear in mind many Bongos record distance travelled in kilometers (or Metric Devil Units) so a reading of 100,000 is likely 60,000 good, proper, miles. :wink:
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Bob wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:00 pm Bear in mind many Bongos record distance travelled in kilometers (or Metric Devil Units) so a reading of 100,000 is likely 60,000 good, proper, miles. :wink:
many thanks ok, a lot of the adverts I have seen, seem to quote both. Though must be strange seeing so much on the odometer! :D
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:39 am

If you've settled on a 2l petrol without an AFT, then research the after-market roof. So you end up with one that you're happy with.

Not something I fit myself. But I hear from some customers who arent entirely happy with theirs and many others who love theirs. There are a few of variants. And a few add-ons for them.

To research, you could post another question just about that.
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Hello Nesty
I own a 2001 2.0ltr petrol 2wd and although it's a little slow on the hills it still a great vehicle. Last year during October we attended the bongo meet, in a very wet sodden field, we had no difficulty moving around as they are pretty low geared. Ours is an AFT so heavier than a tin top.
I live in Ashford kent, if I am local to you, you are welcome to come an take a look around and talk Bongo's
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Roy748 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:20 pm Hello Nesty
I own a 2001 2.0ltr petrol 2wd and although it's a little slow on the hills it still a great vehicle. Last year during October we attended the bongo meet, in a very wet sodden field, we had no difficulty moving around as they are pretty low geared. Ours is an AFT so heavier than a tin top.
I live in Ashford kent, if I am local to you, you are welcome to come an take a look around and talk Bongo's
Hi Roy
Sadly, I am a bit of a distance from you, though thanks for the offer.
Many thanks for the feedback on the 2L, sounds like a 2WD will be ample for me!

Return to “Bongo Chat”