Bongo insurance

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Bongo insurance

Post by Lucybod » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:38 am

On our DVLA registration our Bongo is registered as a private/light goods PLG. it’s an unconverted bongo and I think should be an MPV. I have been insuring it for the last 18 years wrong😱. Mazda Bongo comes up as a 4 door saloon on some insurances. I have tried the bongo recommended insurances and they don’t recognise the number plate. This is becoming a real nightmare. The insurance is due on the 21st of this month. Just check the DVLA and it says our bongo was registered in the UK in 2014 and it was made in 2011. What a mess. Any ideas would be gratefully received!!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo insurance

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Do you have the Mazda Bongo Friendee, as shown in many pictures on here?

Mazda used the Bongo name for several completely different vehicles over the years, which might explain something.

Production of the Friendee stopped in 2004 (from memory) and most grey exports leave Japan at 10 years old when the Shaken becomes due, so it seems a little odd if yours was actualy manufactured in 2011 and imported to the uk in 2014.

This could well be an issue with the DVLA records, though. :?

Is it possible to post a picture of your vehicle on here? If not I'll pm you my e mail and if you send me a pic I'll have a look.

Hope that helps.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:03 pm

As being discussed on FB it can be a source of great confusion!
First the Taxation Class is Private Light Goods PLG, correct.
However the Body type can be confusing as a body type mpv is good. However there is also a Mazda MPV (name of vehicle) which is also an mpv,
There is also a Mazda Bongo B2500, which was imported into the UK and hence searches for Mazda Bongo can cause great confusion ....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:43 pm

It’s definitely a Bongo Friendee says on the back. We bought it in 2002. I hadn’t really looked properly at the registration and can’t remember getting a new document in 2014. We were given its original document when we bought it.
Not sure why the dvla decided to issue a new certificate in 2014. Bit of a mess.
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:55 pm

Trying to send photo file too large even if I send a small one. Not my day.
I was sending a picture of the back saying Bongo Friendee.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Most likely the ones we're about, though we'll try and help with anything. :wink:

Insurance shouldn't be a problem if you put Friendee on the form, and it's not unusual for the registration number not to be recognised on automated systems. Just the joys of a grey import.

Edit: Yep, a very nice 2001 Bongo Friendee, most likely imported 2011, which is why the DVLA have that date as manufactured.

Return to “Bongo Chat”