What made you Bongo?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

What made you Bongo?

Post by evobongo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 am

What made you go for a Bongo over other options such as VW or Panel Van?

I just can't decide which of the above options to go for for 2 adults and a youngling. Key is space, I know Bongo's are small but at a push i'd add an awning.

Plans are to travel the UK and definitely want a vehicle I can go to Europe in too, France, Germany, Spain and more maybe.

Am reading reliability has become a joke of sorts, are Bongo's really that bad? Old T25's seems similar
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: What made you Bongo?

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am

Hi. :)

The auto box and 4 wheel drive are important to me.

Not a serious off roader, but I do like to be able to get off a campsite, and my left knee can be a bit mischievous.

2 Adults, and Bongy is cosy, but we now have a caravan for longer spells away. The Bongo is great if you are moving most days and we have a small tent which we use as a shed when Bongoing solo. Easy to put up/down and useful to store all the stuff we seem to need.
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 am

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am Hi. :)

The auto box and 4 wheel drive are important to me.

Not a serious off roader, but I do like to be able to get off a campsite, and my left knee can be a bit mischievous.

2 Adults, and Bongy is cosy, but we now have a caravan for longer spells away. The Bongo is great if you are moving most days and we have a small tent which we use as a shed when Bongoing solo. Easy to put up/down and useful to store all the stuff we seem to need.
Thanks @Bob

How do you find the 4 wheel drive aspect, any reliability issues youve faced? Whats your mpg like ?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Good, no, about 30 mpg. 8)
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm Good, no, about 30 mpg. 8)
:lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Seriously, we've had our Bongo for 12 years and had almost no problems with it. :)
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:05 pm Seriously, we've had our Bongo for 12 years and had almost no problems with it. :)
Almost lol.

Jesting. 12 years is a long time, have you put much mileage on it in that time ?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm

evobongo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 am What made you go for a Bongo over other options such as VW or Panel Van?

I just can't decide which of the above options to go for for 2 adults and a youngling. Key is space, I know Bongo's are small but at a push i'd add an awning.

Plans are to travel the UK and definitely want a vehicle I can go to Europe in too, France, Germany, Spain and more maybe.

Am reading reliability has become a joke of sorts, are Bongo's really that bad? Old T25's seems similar
Versatility, reliability not an issue here either once you get it sorted. :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm

We do about 6000 miles pa, less this year. :(

Mostly holiday trips as we're retired, have another car, and shops are an easy walk from home, although I do make sure and take the cars out once a week to prevent problems which develop while sat un-used.
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Bongolia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm
evobongo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 am What made you go for a Bongo over other options such as VW or Panel Van?

Define 'sorted' ?
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm We do about 6000 miles pa, less this year. :(

Mostly holiday trips as we're retired, have another car, and shops are an easy walk from home, although I do make sure and take the cars out once a week to prevent problems which develop while sat un-used.
=D> sounds great
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:54 pm

I thought the only Reliability issues with the diesel bongo is cooking the head otherwise it’s a pretty basic engine transmission seems ok. space wise me and the missus only slept in the roof as I would have the track bike in the van because we mainly go to Spain. Our first bongo was converted and we only used the kettle, saucepan And fridge if you’re in a warm country you don’t want to cook inside so we’re not bothering to convert this one we have bought an inflatable awning to be more flexible it’s a great sized motor to get into all the small places and it doesn’t have the vow price tag
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:32 pm

I inherited a 1997 2.5TD 4Wd AFT when my dad moved to France (MoT seemed like a faff) and at first I thought what is this heap of purple crap :D

Then I got in it and loved it, alright it was a little noisy but it was comfy and good to drive. I ripped out the dated conversion put in a new one I spent a year building and it was great taking us (2 adults) on holiday through France and Spain - once you get used to managing the space, several weeks away are fine.

Then, in the snow it was great, I live on a road 20-25 gradient, 90 degree bend at the bottom, aside from sliding down on the ice, I was up and down no issues, even pulling neighbours up the road - putting a bit smile on my face

No reliability issues in 3 years but rust did start to take over so I bought another one in better base condition (it hadn’t spent most of its U.K. life on the Scottish cost like the old one!!). It has to be said the chap that bought mine has done a great job fixing up the rust (he’s a mechanic)

The only thing that is sometimes a negative is that the conversion parts market isn’t as prolific as VW - it’s so easy to get an underbody water tank for them for example, finding one for a bongo much harder

We don’t have children and my wife is a little skeptical about bongo practicality when we do but with our awning I think it will be just fine
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:29 am

Read THIS

Then grab a coffee and read
THIS done with two adults and two younglings, then
THIS and
THIS done with two adults and one not-so-youngling

Diesels do have a reputation for cooking the head but that’s normally due to incorrect maintenance and subsequent incorrect bleeding of the cooling system. ALL Bongos are prone to rust, but so are VWs and panel vans, so if you think a Bongo can work for you, and it most certainly can for two adults and a kid, choose one carefully then get out there and enjoy it!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:20 am

evobongo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm
Bongolia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Define 'sorted' ?
Muz post says it all.
A good major service, belts,afreeze, gear oils etc.
Problem is with second hand is you never know what previous owners have done. So best to clear the decks and start clean. I came from a VW T25, owned it for 15years, It was not the most reliable especially in hot weather , kept both but found when I went away or for weekend hops I took the Bongo so sold the VW no regrets.

Return to “Bongo Chat”